TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help please

SGT3517

So earlier I was washing my car and I get to the back to dry it and the 'Y' in SHELBY was hanging by a thread. I pulled it off and removed all the factory adhesive. My question is....Is this a warrantable item if I take it in tomorrow? And if it's not, what adhesive is used to hold these on?(looks like some dark grey colored double sided tape) Not very happy that these come off so easily. I just rolled 1500 miles.

PICS

DSC01722.jpg

DSC01723.jpg

DSC01724.jpg

The day I picked mine up from the dealer and drove home (25 miles) the Y was almost upside down. I got a new one with adhesive from the dealer to put on myself. I reattached the original, heating the adhesive with a blow dryer, and kept the new one for future problems :rolleyes: That was about 1500 miles ago. I keep an eye on it but it seems to be holding well. The Y's seem to be the most troublesome.

Jim

They ordered a new Y. Under warranty! :D Only problem is I tried to attach the Y last night with some 3M emblem adhesive, not tape but liquid gluey stuff and I messed up the stripe. Also the Y wasn't sticking very well at all so I aborted the mission. I actually got some of the gluey stuff on the stripe and started rubbing and rubbing. I figured what the heck the stripe is a vinyl I can use my fingernail to get the rest of the gluey stuff off. I scratched through the stripe and now you can see a black spot underneath it. It looks horrible and I dont know what to do. They noticed at the dealer this am. Pics soon.

They ordered a new Y. Under warranty! :D Only problem is I tried to attach the Y last night with some 3M emblem adhesive, not tape but liquid gluey stuff and I messed up the stripe. Also the Y wasn't sticking very well at all so I aborted the mission. I actually got some of the gluey stuff on the stripe and started rubbing and rubbing. I figured what the heck the stripe is a vinyl I can use my fingernail to get the rest of the gluey stuff off. I scratched through the stripe and now you can see a black spot underneath it. It looks horrible and I dont know what to do. They noticed at the dealer this am. Pics soon.

Yes, sadly you missed the post where I said the stripes are VERY VERY VERY sensitive and any kind of rubbing or direct pressure such as with a fingernail WILL leave a mark. The stripes are only sold as a set and the rear set will run you about $250 or so. You could have a stripe shop price it out for you but unless you're going to to the whole car you may have matching issues.

I know with this and the airbacg discussions it must seem like I'm a glass is half empty kind of guy but this why as long as there is a warranty I recommend ALL work be done by the dealer. If you mess it up it's your fault if they mess it up they pay for it.

Yes, sadly you missed the post where I said the stripes are VERY VERY VERY sensitive and any kind of rubbing or direct pressure such as with a fingernail WILL leave a mark. The stripes are only sold as a set and the rear set will run you about $250 or so. You could have a stripe shop price it out for you but unless you're going to to the whole car you may have matching issues.

I know with this and the airbacg discussions it must seem like I'm a glass is half empty kind of guy but this why as long as there is a warranty I recommend ALL work be done by the dealer. If you mess it up it's your fault if they mess it up they pay for it.

There are no matching issues its a new car, the vinyl you need is 3M Metallic Silver. Any graphics shop should be able to cut you one a great deal cheaper then the factory set. I found our dealers hire people to do their striping and some at least are making their own stripes as well. The film is cheap shop around and you'll get a stripe very reasonable.

Archived