TEAM SHELBY FORUM

(Yes, Another) Exhaust Rattle Thread

jaydub Mach1

I heard "the rattle" for the first time, yesterday.

Car has about 1,200 miles. Got in the car after a short stop. From the inside of the car, it sounded like a noisy fan. Drove off and about 3.5k RPM, it suddenly went away. WTF??!!

Stopped the car, again later for about 15 minutes. Started the car and the noise was back. Started driving. Just like before, it was gone at about 3.5k.

I let it sit at home for several hours. Now, it's always there and won't go away like it did before.

I opened the hood, and at first it sounded like a stuck tappet. But, I layed down net to the car and it was louder from underneath.

I have read about the hanger issues on the previous threads. And the exhaust rattling and hitting the frame, etc. My question is can I just jack up the car to check the hangers or do I need to take it to someone with a lift?

Thanks

I suggest you take the car in for service and ask the service writer to look up TSB 06-19-8

It's four pages long, so, I'm not going to type all that out. However, it does address the symptoms you express here, and there seems to be more than one possible answer, depending on what the tech discovers and eliminates in diagnosis. Could be misalinged exhaust, or, internal to the engine, i.e. variable cam timing. It is an extensive TSB and requires an "overnight cold soak" before testing possiblities as the vehicle warms up.

Good luck, and keep us posted?

Thanks for the input. Lulu.

I dropped it off at the dealer this morning. I hope it's nothing serious.

We'll see..... :(:(

Keep us posted. Mine started this at about 3K miles, and I'm about to hit 4K this week. Figured that I'd have it checked out when the car goes in at 5K for its first oil change. Figured that mine might have come from the fact that upon delivery one of the pipes (passenger side, I think) was about 2 inches lower than the other, and the dealership took care of it to my satisfaction at about the 1K mark. We'll see...

I heard "the rattle" for the first time, yesterday.

Car has about 1,200 miles. Got in the car after a short stop. From the inside of the car, it sounded like a noisy fan. Drove off and about 3.5k RPM, it suddenly went away. WTF??!!

Stopped the car, again later for about 15 minutes. Started the car and the noise was back. Started driving. Just like before, it was gone at about 3.5k.

I let it sit at home for several hours. Now, it's always there and won't go away like it did before.

I opened the hood, and at first it sounded like a stuck tappet. But, I layed down net to the car and it was louder from underneath.

I have read about the hanger issues on the previous threads. And the exhaust rattling and hitting the frame, etc. My question is can I just jack up the car to check the hangers or do I need to take it to someone with a lift?

Thanks

had the same problem about 2 months ago ,, At the dealer, on a raised lift,, The hanger on one side or the other is rubbing the rear bumper, easy to fix stg :)

My exhaust rattle was a very simple fix once the dealer figured it out. $5 parts / 10 minutes on the rack.

Hose clamps around the front hangers cured the noise. (saw it happen before my own eyes, not second hand stories)

Freeway Ford, Columbus, GA 1-706-563-3023 ask for Kevin in service or email me & I'll explain

dverner@dfiequipment.com

My exhaust rattle was a very simple fix once the dealer figured it out. $5 parts / 10 minutes on the rack.

Hose clamps around the front hangers cured the noise. (saw it happen before my own eyes, not second hand stories)

Freeway Ford, Columbus, GA 1-706-563-3023 ask for Kevin in service or email me & I'll explain

dverner@dfiequipment.com

Could you please post a picture of the fix?

Well, I got the call from the dealership.

The noise was coming from the transmission. They removed it. When they drained the oil, metal chips came out, too.

Only 1,200 miles and a new transmission. :angry: :angry:

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Hope that they didn't measure your rear tire tread depth and give you grief about the warranty...

Archived