TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 GT500 for $45K

SWEDESHELBY1

I love my car. I would have a GT500 in the garage instead if any one of my dozen or so offers on them would have been accepted (all for sticker, even for a couple of used ones).

Does this mean that I'm going out to trade once the 500s are selling at a "reasonable" price? No; the SGT is part of the family now.

Will I consider adding a GT500 to the family once I get the note on the SGT paid off (hopefully sooner rather than later)? You betcha.

The are both great cars, but they are tools meant for different purposes. I'm frankly a little scared of the GT500, b/c the SGT has more than enough power to make one's self look foolish, but the better handling makes this slightly less likely.

IMHO, bragging rights will always go to the GT500 (yes, you can throw on an SC and brakes and beat a stock 500, but they just need to swap out a pulley and your SGT/SC is toast), but the driving enjoyment of the SGT outweighs the ego boost of having more power than you can use.

Now, if people would just quit saying, "Nice car! So that thing has like 500 hp, right?", I'd be set...

I have an opportunity to buy a 2007 GT500 loaded for $45K and maybe a tad bit lower. I have just looked at the car and it is pristine with 3K miles on it. It is white with blue stripes and loaded to the gills except for the Nav and it had a Shaker 500 instead of 1000. What do you guys think and should I buy it or will they even be coming down more in the near future? I was as shocked as you are reading this, but things are changing, obviously, and prices are falling dramatically. I am shocked too and don;t really know what to think. The SGT is better looking but the Gt500 is the power I want. Wow a decision coming for sure.

Maybe we can all chip in and use it like a timeshare?

Swede, sorry I missed this post but been spending more time with the family lately. I read up to your final post #21 above. I think you made the right choice and that's what I was going to recommend too. I also think you knew that was the right choice all along but need your friends here to help confirm.

We all know you well by now and an S/C is definitely what will fulfill your desires. It stinks that you weren't aware of the S/C option when ordering your car.

Once you get an S/C installed by SAI, you'll be extremely happy. Then as most mentioned, get the GT500 at a later time.

Swede, sorry I missed this post but been spending more time with the family lately. I read up to your final post #21 above. I think you made the right choice and that's what I was going to recommend too. I also think you knew that was the right choice all along but need your friends here to help confirm.

We all know you well by now and an S/C is definitely what will fulfill your desires. It stinks that you weren't aware of the S/C option when ordering your car.

Once you get an S/C installed by SAI, you'll be extremely happy. Then as most mentioned, get the GT500 at a later time.

Thanks Adam and may you and your family have a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous & Happy New Year!

Fia, she looks great! I would love to see more pics of it when you get them. I have always loved the cobra roadsters. I had ghoped Ford was going to release that proto they did back in like 04 but no such luck.

Fia, she looks great! I would love to see more pics of it when you get them. I have always loved the cobra roadsters. I had ghoped Ford was going to release that proto they did back in like 04 but no such luck.

+1, more pics please, looks pretty cool so far.

I have an opportunity to buy a 2007 GT500 loaded for $45K and maybe a tad bit lower. I have just looked at the car and it is pristine with 3K miles on it. It is white with blue stripes and loaded to the gills except for the Nav and it had a Shaker 500 instead of 1000. What do you guys think and should I buy it or will they even be coming down more in the near future? I was as shocked as you are reading this, but things are changing, obviously, and prices are falling dramatically. I am shocked too and don;t really know what to think. The SGT is better looking but the Gt500 is the power I want. Wow a decision coming for sure.

I had the fever before the SGT was introduced. I have had a GT500 for 16 months now (3300 miles) and bought a GT-H w / 14K miles on it almost a month ago. I have the say that the GT-H has better front to rear balance, is relaxing to drive with the automatic, and turns alot of heads because of the limited number out there same as the GT500. Anybody who says they run almost as good I have to disagree with. The GT500 is WAY stronger even with the 3:55 rear end upgrade in the GT-H. If you want some big fun, raw power and a car you can bump to over 600 HP with minimal funds get the GT500. I think the handling is a moot point. Both cars handle awesome. You MUST be more attentive with an extra 170 HP as it will get you in trouble much faster.

My opinion is that the final decision rests on how the car will be used. If it is a daily driver, I would do the SGT, if it is a secondary car go for the thrills and get the GT500. Both are limited production and if kept in good shape will be the envy of many for years to come. Carroll Shelby has taken care of that for us....

Archived