TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 GT500 for $45K

SWEDESHELBY1

I have an opportunity to buy a 2007 GT500 loaded for $45K and maybe a tad bit lower. I have just looked at the car and it is pristine with 3K miles on it. It is white with blue stripes and loaded to the gills except for the Nav and it had a Shaker 500 instead of 1000. What do you guys think and should I buy it or will they even be coming down more in the near future? I was as shocked as you are reading this, but things are changing, obviously, and prices are falling dramatically. I am shocked too and don;t really know what to think. The SGT is better looking but the Gt500 is the power I want. Wow a decision coming for sure.

I'd stay with your GT. It handles better, is almost as quick. It definitely looks better.

+1

You can always add a SC...

I think the SGT's will be much more desirable as time goes by. I've never driven a GT500 (I know it's a beast) but the SGT is the real deal! B)

There's just not that many SGT's on the road. When was the last time you saw one while driving?

my .02

I have an opportunity to buy a 2007 GT500 loaded for $45K and maybe a tad bit lower. I have just looked at the car and it is pristine with 3K miles on it. It is white with blue stripes and loaded to the gills except for the Nav and it had a Shaker 500 instead of 1000. What do you guys think and should I buy it or will they even be coming down more in the near future? I was as shocked as you are reading this, but things are changing, obviously, and prices are falling dramatically. I am shocked too and don;t really know what to think. The SGT is better looking but the Gt500 is the power I want. Wow a decision coming for sure.

Wow....I would be so tempted and I'm sure you are as well. I like the ride and look of the SGT better BUT a GT500 has a great line up of packages. You can go for the 40th or Super Snake down the road. When the car is lowered and the rear deck lid letters, like ours, are put on, it's a really pretty car too.

I could go either way...I don't think I need more speed, though at times I wish I did...ugh....your choice! We'll still luv ya! ;)

I was in the same boat when I started to look for a new car. I was set on the GT500 nothing else......until my dealer told me I should really try their SGT. I took them both out and the GT500 is fun, lots of power and torque, but the SGT just felt like it was a better car. It just handles so much better than the GT500. I do wish I have the power though. Just depends on what you want, If your gonna get one of the Shelby upgrades, I say go for it. I'm in the process of ordering a new Challenger, so I decided 2 muscle cars is better than one :D

I was in the same boat when I started to look for a new car. I was set on the GT500 nothing else......until my dealer told me I should really try their SGT. I took them both out and the GT500 is fun, lots of power and torque, but the SGT just felt like it was a better car. It just handles so much better than the GT500. I do wish I have the power though. Just depends on what you want, If your gonna get one of the Shelby upgrades, I say go for it. I'm in the process of ordering a new Challenger, so I decided 2 muscle cars is better than one :D

Kelsey, your a baller 2- 40k cars in one year :lol:

Swede,

I was about 1hr. away from purchasing a GT500 when things fell into place for the SGT.

At the time they were still in the range of $10-$15K over. I was at a $49K deal or $5K over.

If you really look at the current GT500 pricing sources. There are 08's that dealers are advertising now for MSRP with statements "we don't want to sit on this all winter" in there ad's.

While the deal may seem tempting and you decide you want to move to a GT500 then be a little more patient and you can have a NEW one over the winter for a little more than the one your are looking at.

As a comparison, I did have the opportunity to drive a GT500 this fall. Here is my inpression. It does have the power you are looking for, that's for sure. The ride is totally different. It does not handle, in stock form, anywhere near the SGT. I can define the ride as refined. More on the docile side. If the numbers are correct you are looking at 10,000 cars for 07, another 10,000 for 08 and from what I have been reading another 9,000 for 09. Vs. 8000 or less for a total 2 year production run on the SGT. My SGT with the SC just feels like a "raw" 60's muscle car. The supercharger is winning, you feel the cracks in the road, with the 20" wheels and tires, etc. I guess I feel more connected to the car.

Tough decision my friend. But you really can't loose either way. Add the SC or go all the way. They both appeal to the Shelby enthusiast.

Wow....I would be so tempted and I'm sure you are as well. I like the ride and look of the SGT better BUT a GT500 has a great line up of packages. You can go for the 40th or Super Snake down the road. When the car is lowered and the rear deck lid letters, like ours, are put on, it's a really pretty car too.

I could go either way...I don't think I need more speed, though at times I wish I did...ugh....your choice! We'll still luv ya! ;)

Just a little reminder, the GT500's have snakes on them.

^_^

Kelsey, your a baller 2- 40k cars in one year :lol:

HAHAHA!!! :lol: I wish! just not planning on buying a car for quite a while! Had my car die a little too early. I was trying to only hold out for the new challenger, but hey I'm not complaining! :D But back to the topic at hand, Swede have you driven the GT500 yet? If so what did you think?

We'll still luv ya! ;)

That's debatable :P LOL SWEDE, SWEDE, SWEDE, SWEDE, SWEDE.............I don't know what we're going to do with you. OK We'll still love ya :wub:

Here's my take. we too almost bought a GT500. But because of the ADM's I refused to pay anything over MSRP. My feelings are I can't raise my prices in my business, because I'm busy, backlogged or whatever. To this day I am so thankful that I took this stand. Look at the guys that payed 10, 20, 30K over and they still have just a common car (in limited numbers) just to say they were first on the block. I can't count the number of GT500 guys that have told me how rare their car is. One, because it's what the dealer told them, two it's what they wanted to hear. They got sucked up in the hype and didn't do their homework. I remember somebody on this forum that was complaining about resale value on an SGT. If you look at somebody that payed 75K a year ago for a GT500, what's that car worth today, think about that. These cars are becoming more and more common, the price will continue to come down. I don't care how many movies you put the GT500 in, there will be 30,000+ built.

The GT500 is a great car, in my opinion, for the money. Having said that if I was to buy a GT500, I would have to have the 40th or the SS or the KR to have a more unique car. I wouldn't own a GT500 that at least wasn't lowered and with suspension upgrades. Been to many shows, where the GT500's were lined up like cord wood, the only difference being the color. If you want brute force buy the GT500. If you want a truly unique lean and mean, corner hugging, bad a$$ machine, send your baby to SAI to have the SC and brake upgrade installed. Remember, of the less than 9000 ShelbyGT's made, in the end there's probably going to be less than 200 ShelbyGT/SC's. Those are some pretty limited numbers.....Food for thought.

Just my $.02.

Sorry for the long post

Dave

trader ! :angry:

LMAO !

Get the SGT for around 36K (Better Shifter, Suspension, 400lbs lighter) and upgrade to the Shelby/Paxton SC for 5299 + Install. Better balanced car all around IMHO... In general people are a little disapointed with the GT500, that is if you're looking for a sports car to actually track. As a cruiser I'm sure the GT500 is perfect! $45k is a good price, I looked at new 2008 with same options and the dealer would not budge from $66K which was $20k over sticker! In my opinion the 500hp is irrelevant because it's so heavy, with its cast iron block!!! A lotus Excige only makes 220HP and would smoke a GT500...

I couldn't agree more with the above. With the SC and brake upgrade the SGT far exceeds the GT500 in power, handling, and braking and I just love the feel more. Yes once you add all that it will be above the cost of a GT500 at MSRP but it will be a more rare car as well.

I wanted a GT500 at first but knew the SGT was more of what I was really looking for in the end. It is your choice and I recommend driving the GT500 and see if someone near you has a SC SGT to try as well. It is quite the eye opener.

Good luck on whichever you choose!

Thanks Guy's and I REALLY appreciate the truthful and genuine answers I got about this question. This is a serious question and I have yet to make up my mind but I am leaning on keeping my 2007 SGT.

Not to get soupy here but the people I have met on this form are truly genuine,truthful and family like. I have never met a bunch of enthusiasts in any area of my life that were so in tune with each others situation. I couldn't ask for a better response to a serious question. So no B/S I thank all of you for your response.

Swede

I couldn't agree more with the above. With the SC and brake upgrade the SGT far exceeds the GT500 in power, handling, and braking and I just love the feel more. Yes once you add all that it will be above the cost of a GT500 at MSRP but it will be a more rare car as well.

I wanted a GT500 at first but knew the SGT was more of what I was really looking for in the end. It is your choice and I recommend driving the GT500 and see if someone near you has a SC SGT to try as well. It is quite the eye opener.

Good luck on whichever you choose!

I tried, but cannot improve on this post.

Keep your SGT and build it to be what you want. That will be more fun and lesss expensive over the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

+1

You can always add a SC...

I think the SGT's will be much more desirable as time goes by. I've never driven a GT500 (I know it's a beast) but the SGT is the real deal! B)

There's just not that many SGT's on the road. When was the last time you saw one while driving?

my .02

+1, stick with the sure thing.

Hey, if you already own the SGT, stick with it. If you happened to drive the GT-500 and it's that much better for you, then get it. It all depends on what YOU want...not others. I'm extremely happy with the GT-500 and i'll tailor the car to fit my needs (just like everyone else with their car of choice)

I have never driven a SGT so i can't comment on them. All i know is my car (heavy or not) really gets up and goes. Just don't get hung up on the "This one will be worth more money" bull...that's just what that means....bs. Buying any car is a losing proposition when it comes to $$$. Who really cares...you can't take it with you.

Oh, btw, i paid sticker for my '08 so deals are out there.

Edited to say....keep your SGT. If not, you'll have to put up with statements such as "but the SGT is the real deal! :rolleyes:

Hey, if you already own the SGT, stick with it. If you happened to drive the GT-500 and it's that much better for you, then get it. It all depends on what YOU want...not others. I'm extremely happy with the GT-500 and i'll tailor the car to fit my needs (just like everyone else with their car of choice)

I have never driven a SGT so i can't comment on them. All i know is my car (heavy or not) really gets up and goes. Just don't get hung up on the "This one will be worth more money" bull...that's just what that means....bs. Buying any car is a losing proposition when it comes to $$$. Who really cares...you can't take it with you.

Oh, btw, i paid sticker for my '08 so deals are out there.

Edited to say....keep your SGT. If not, you'll have to put up with statements such as "but the SGT is the real deal! :rolleyes:

Do not get me wrong I love ALL Shelby's, PERIOD! I also am satisfied with the appearance and handling of the Shelby GT but I wish I would have been able to order the car as I wanted to, with the SAI equiped SC. The car is not slow by any means but it's not balls to the walls fast either. So this is what I have decided to do...keep the SGT and maybe in the future when SAI is slow I'll send it back, but for now it will remain stock and me in the drivers seat. Thanks for you view of both cars your a true Shelby man through and through.

Well, i'm glad you made a decision....sounds like a smart one too. You already own the car now and you know it pretty well. You pinpointed areas where you want to see improvement so plan accordingly.

I only have 168 miles clocked on mine and i already have ideas where i want to improve things.

One thing i'm sure of with all of us is....our cars really turn heads. I just can't wait for better weather.

Well, i'm glad you made a decision....sounds like a smart one too. You already own the car now and you know it pretty well. You pinpointed areas where you want to see improvement so plan accordingly.

I only have 168 miles clocked on mine and i already have ideas where i want to improve things.

One thing i'm sure of with all of us is....our cars really turn heads. I just can't wait for better weather.

Fia, how far along are you on that Daytone cobra?? Do you have any pics??? I have always wanted to do one of those but dont have the time. Maybe someday :)

Thanks Guy's and I REALLY appreciate the truthful and genuine answers I got about this question. This is a serious question and I have yet to make up my mind but I am leaning on keeping my 2007 SGT.

Not to get soupy here but the people I have met on this form are truly genuine,truthful and family like. I have never met a bunch of enthusiasts in any area of my life that were so in tune with each others situation. I couldn't ask for a better response to a serious question. So no B/S I thank all of you for your response.

Swede

I was going to answer Swede, but I didnt think my answer had enough power for you! :lol::lol:

Glad it all worked out.

Happy Holidays Buddy! :D

All I can say is that the only thing the shelby Gt is lacking compared to the gt500 is less power. A blower will solve that problem, correct me if I am wrong but i think the blower on our cars makes it a faster car then the gt 500. I personally prefer the looks and IMO the SGT is the real shelby not the gt500. The gt500 is a ford made cobra with the shelby name. The SGT is made by shelby.

Archived