TEAM SHELBY FORUM

An odd event

2007_Shelby_GT

This evening I was returning home and was "exercising" the SGT a bit, i.e., a couple of quick runs up through the gears! On my last run, I mildly went from 1st through 3rd, then slowed to make the turn onto my street. As soon as I slowed, I knew something was wrong! RPMs dropped, and the exhaust had a distinctive mis-beat note to it. I rounded the turn and attempted to accelerate, but was unable to gain much more than 1/4 of the acceleration I had! Engine was misfiring/missing (no backfiring) and felt like it was running on a lot less than 8 cylinders! I limped home, pulled into the garage, and popped the hood. I carefully gave a couple of taps on the gas - still missing badly. Mystified, I shut down, then restarted, and presto, BACK TO NORMAL!?

What do you think? Did the engine computer get confused? Has this happened to anyone else? :unsure:

This evening I was returning home and was "exercising" the SGT a bit, i.e., a couple of quick runs up through the gears! On my last run, I mildly went from 1st through 3rd, then slowed to make the turn onto my street. As soon as I slowed, I knew something was wrong! RPMs dropped, and the exhaust had a distinctive mis-beat note to it. I rounded the turn and attempted to accelerate, but was unable to gain much more than 1/4 of the acceleration I had! Engine was misfiring/missing (no backfiring) and felt like it was running on a lot less than 8 cylinders! I limped home, pulled into the garage, and popped the hood. I carefully gave a couple of taps on the gas - still missing badly. Mystified, I shut down, then restarted, and presto, BACK TO NORMAL!?

What do you think? Did the engine computer get confused? Has this happened to anyone else? :unsure:

My guess is you probably hit your rev limiter. It's easy to do. Shift at a little lower RPM's. I definitely think you had too much lead foot. It's safety feature and cuts fuel and retards timing.

Easy does it speed racer :P , Dave

I would say she just wasn't in the mood to excercise tonight :P :D :lol:

Sorry..couldn't resist

Why that little bi%$h! She'll pay for that! :lol:

I don't think it was the rev-limiter, (I kept an eye on the tach - never close to the redline), unless it's on a conservative setting.

Just odd - hope she doesn't do that again!

I hit the rev-limiter on the racetrack on Saturday, and it did not require a restart, it was back to normal in just a few seconds.

I had what you described happen to me in my 07 Corvette and it turned out to be a fuel injection computer problem covered under warranty. It would happen out of nowhere and required the car to be shut off to correct itself.

I hit my "rev limiter" almost every time I take her out. That's not the problem here.

Pop your hood and check your air supply.

If your bellows/"zip tube" came loose, you are getting too much outside air into the induction system after MAF measurements and EEC adjustments. This will cause a temporary "sputter", and eventually a complete shutdown if not addressed. So...Check all your air path connections for proper sealing, and restart.

Best to disconnect your battery for 15 min. or, longer to erase/clear the short term EEC memory. This way, old stuff (like your sputter) gets cleaned out, and you have a clean slate to start over.

Yeah, you will have to reset your gauges and radio stations, but so what

I hit my "rev limiter" almost every time I take her out. That's not the problem here.

Pop your hood and check your air supply.

If your bellows/"zip tube" came loose, you are getting too much outside air into the induction system after MAF measurements and EEC adjustments. This will cause a temporary "sputter", and eventually a complete shutdown if not addressed. So...Check all your air path connections for proper sealing, and restart.

Best to disconnect your battery for 15 min. or, longer to erase/clear the short term EEC memory. This way, old stuff (like your sputter) gets cleaned out, and you have a clean slate to start over.

Yeah, you will have to reset your gauges and radio stations, but so what

I will do a thorough inspection this evening, then monitor carefully to see if it occurs again and under what conditions. I didn't receive any "idiot" light indicators (perhaps I wouldn't anyway) so I think I will wait to disconnect the battery for a reset.

I will do a thorough inspection this evening, then monitor carefully to see if it occurs again and under what conditions. I didn't receive any "idiot" light indicators (perhaps I wouldn't anyway) so I think I will wait to disconnect the battery for a reset.

A fresh air leak after the MAF would not produce a MIL, only a very few fuel conditions would. If you decide not to clear the EEC memory, you will need to do a few WOT "on-ramp" romps to overwrite the stored data. That could be fun, keep us posted on any other symptoms?

I hit the rev-limiter on the racetrack on Saturday, and it did not require a restart, it was back to normal in just a few seconds.

I had what you described happen to me in my 07 Corvette and it turned out to be a fuel injection computer problem covered under warranty. It would happen out of nowhere and required the car to be shut off to correct itself.

party of 5 is a great photo

Archived