TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Here's something new to talk about!

stump_breaker

So if I hit 88 MPH the capacitor kicks in and I can go back in time and buy a 66 GT350 and get tickets to the Bday bash? ;) Interesting find though seriously. I wonder how these work with an S/C. It says it builds more pressure. Does that help or hurt with the S/C? I would love to know if these really do what they claim. At $25 each its a little pricey to buy and find out it is bogus. If it did work Id try 2 out on my snowmobile and see what happens. They have ones for small engines it said.

"CAUTION: Pulstar model recommendations are for stock, unmodified engines. If you have added an aftermarket turbocharger, supercharger, nitrous or any other product that increases displacement or compression to your engine you will require a colder heat range pulse plug in order to avoid possible damage to your engine. For these applications please see our other great product at DirectHits or call us at 888-800-6700."

The plugs in our cars are some odd ducks I'd never seen anything like it. They don't look like those pictured, our bar over the electrode is continuous and pretty much requires a special gapping tool to gap them.

I believe they are a cold plug. I do know they are proprietary to FORD - until the Chinese get a hold of them anyway! :rolleyes:

Some of their claims seems far fetched but the idea seems logical. I mean a capacitor in the plug to dump a lot of current verses the setup now is pretty clever although the same could be done externally as well. That is how a camera can have such a bright flash on 2 AA batteries.

They say a standard ignition is 50w vs their 1,000,000w 's. ( I find that hard to believe) They also show the video of increased combustion from an "independent lab" and their animation of increased "psi" from the cylinder. Neither of these hold water with me too well.

As far as the cost, my Titan runs Iridium plugs so at plug change time going to a $25 plug is not that big of a step.

Like I said, neat idea and concept but there is some room for doubt.

EDIT 1.0 - Hmmmm, per EPA testing they work. go here

Been doing some basic Google and Yahoo searching and although there is a ton of negative out there from people who have not tested them and lots of negative from so-called engineers quoting the laws of thermodynamics and so-on, the few dyno's I found did show a slight improvement in power and torque. I found on a Charger site where he said they were ok and gaining a small bit of fuel mileage, a guy on a Taco site liked them and showed a few HP and TQ increase and there was an independent tester who was posting on a Corvette forum to see if they measured up to what they advertises. I never found the final results but found posts eluding to the testing that showed on a stock engine the gains were miniscule but worked the best on a modded engine. I can find nothing on the mileage claims.

Most people are waiting for someone else to spend $200 (or in the case of the Charger, $416) to try them out before they jump on them.

I did find an EPA tester which claimed a 2.7% increase in fuel mileage on a 04 Avalanche.

The problem with the Charger and Taco though were their plugs were at the end of their life cycle as they were so could the same results had been obtained with new OEM plugs that are NOT $25 ea?

They say a standard ignition is 50w vs their 1,000,000w 's. ( I find that hard to believe) They also show the video of increased combustion from an "independent lab" and their animation of increased "psi" from the cylinder. Neither of these hold water with me too well.

+1 Stump, which is why I have my reservations about this product on our SGT's 4.6L-3V.

Normally, aluminum pistons contain 11-12% silicon. Our hypereutectic pistons are over saturated with 18% silicon. The piston top is coated with a layer of Teflon to protect this high content, and when I imagine the force/violence associated with 1,000,000w and detonation, I shudder. Melt the protective Teflon coating and you'll eat right through the high silicon content in no time. Can you say "melt down"?

1,000,000 watts eh?

No thanks.

Yea I cant wait for the first poor guy checking for spark and puts the plug against the exhaust manifold and welds himself to the block! Get someone to take pics if you try this one Stump ;)

That is really FUNNY :lol::lol::lol: And most likely some dumb a@# will do it :D

Archived