TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Snake bitten by 07H316

chipwags

Well, I've been a Mustang enthusiast for 27 of my 40 years and as of 11/28/07, I've now been bitten by the Snake! My Mustang history is below in the Signature line.

For my 40th B-Day, my wife and I took a trip to Key West. We flew into Miami and the Hertz Mustang Convertible I had rented was not available. My choice, a Toyota Solara or a Shelby Rental for just $150 more. I didn't even realize it was a convertible, and once they discounted it for me $200 for the week rental, I agreed. When arriving at the parking space, my heart lept out of my throat. It was a convertible. Now I know the history of the 66's, and knew about the 06 couples, but somewhere missed the announcement of the 07H Convertible.

In 6 days, I drove it from Miami to Key West and back (US 1 through the Keys not exactly a good place to really open it up and let 'er rip), but I've been bitten. Roughly 550 miles or so (one way from Miami to Key West is 150 miles, so I found a lot of time to drive around the small 1.5 mile x 4 mile island, and up and down US 1. And no speeding tickets either!

I'm now ready to sell my 65 Coupe and my 04 Convertible to get my hands on one of these when they are available. I just returned home today and found this forum, and have spent a long time reading most of the posts. Sorry for my long initial post - I already miss the car I was driving. It was depressing driving home in my 05 Expedition - trying to pass cars on the highway. I live in the Chicago area and we are now getting 5" of snow right now, so the Shelby will just be a dream for now.

Sounds like there are some knowledgable people and owners out there - I hope to one day join your ranks and look forward to the opportunity to pick one of the 07H's up later in 2008.

#316 - I miss you. I want to buy you.

• 4 weeks later...

Just confirmed a reservation for another GT-H next month in Tampa for a week! Can't wait. This time, many more pictures. I'm lurking on this forum nearly daily. I'm probably taking a trip to Vegas later this summer, and visiting Shelby American is top on my list of things to do.

I'm really serious about trying to find out how to buy one of these when they are released by Hertz. I've read through numerous posts on this forum and have learnd a lot. But where does a guy from Chicago go to find one of these? Would anyone offer any advice? (maybe even a link to a message buried somewhere in this forum would help too) Seems like there are a lot of folks who deal them in TX and GA and AZ. The first cars released sell for more, then come down in price it seems. Looking at other posts, it seems like more of these cars stay in the south than find their way to the Snow Belt. I have a 3 car heated garage and a Shelby would be very happy all winter in my garage.

I've studied the Hertz GH-H versus the Shelby GT and like them both but I like the hood, front and colors of the Hertz better. All of the warning on this forum is great advice too (about bad drivers not driving them well, putting cheap gas in, no Shelby warranty, car is a little scratched or banged up, etc.)

Hey Matt - would love to meet up with other Chicago-area Shelby owners. I am a long-time member of MCA, but only read the magazine, don't even know if there is a local club and where and when it meets. Is there a Shelby club that meets in our area?

Happy New Year!

Just made my reservation! I pick up the Shelby at Miami International on Jan 30th. Going to drive down to Islamorada and then on to Key West. I cant wait. Do you recommend the insurrance that Hertz offers?

Maybe you'll get #316 - the one I rented. I saw 5 at the Hertz terminal in Miami. She turned a lot of heads in the Keys. On Key West which is 1.5 miles by 4 miles, there is no where to let her get out and "breathe." When I was down there, daily, I took a drive off the island up on US 1 for about 20-30 miles. There are a bunch of Monroe County Sherriffs that cover that stretch - speed, ur, um, I mean drive with caution.

I didn't take the insurance - my insurance company provides it, plus I use my American Express Platinum to reserve/pay and they are supposed to also cover auto rentals. I've always heard the insurance by rental car companies is a waste of money - as long as your insurnace company covers you. A quick call to your insurance agent might confirm that.

Just made my reservation! I pick up the Shelby at Miami International on Jan 30th. Going to drive down to Islamorada and then on to Key West. I cant wait. Do you recommend the insurrance that Hertz offers?

Maybe you'll get #316 - the one I rented. I saw 5 at the Hertz terminal in Miami. She turned a lot of heads in the Keys. On Key West which is 1.5 miles by 4 miles, there is no where to let her get out and "breathe." When I was down there, daily, I took a drive off the island up on US 1 for about 20-30 miles. There are a bunch of Monroe County Sherriffs that cover that stretch - speed, ur, um, I mean drive with caution.

I didn't take the insurance - my insurance company provides it, plus I use my American Express Platinum to reserve/pay and they are supposed to also cover auto rentals. I've always heard the insurance by rental car companies is a waste of money - as long as your insurnace company covers you. A quick call to your insurance agent might confirm that.

Thanks for the info on the sheriff situation! We are going to be staying in Islamorada but we will be driving to Key West for a day or two.

Was 316 in great shape? How was the check in? I have read the manager doing the check in and check out.

Thanks,

Bart

I forgot the milage - didn't take picture of the dash - but it was under 5,000. The car was in really good shape - no scratches or blemishes or torn stripes or door dings, or cracked spoilers or anything like some of the things I've read on the forum. Interior was perfect. Looked like aftermarket floor mats which I'm totally cool with as long as when they sell them, the originals are put back in the car.

I had rented a Mustang Vert, and they were sold out when I arrived at the Hertz. They offered me a Solara for the same price, or the Shelby. At the moment, I thought I was being upgraded to a Shelby hardtop, and not a convertible. I really wanted a convertible for the 3 hour ride down to Key West. The girl finally offered me a $150 discount to take the Shelby and said I wouldn't regret it. When I saw it was a Vert, she was right.

I had read somewhere that there was a 1/2 hour check in and a list of Can/Can't Do's that Hertz had for you. That included going through an automatic car wash. (My car had a couple of the blue plastic threads from a car wash on the wipe) This location - Nothing. I'm a #1 Gold customer, signed the paperwork like any other rental, and off to the bus who drove me to the car. Now that I'm thinking about buying one if I can, I view that as a negative.

I'm renting one in Tampa next month, so I'll see if the process is the same or different. I already know 1 difference for sure - Tampa I'm alotted 75 miles a day with .39/mile over for penalty, Miami it was unlimited miles. I found that interesting.

Your best bet for speeding will be between Miami and the Everglades before it goes down to 2 lanes as you get near Key Largo. There are so many sherrifs patrolling the Keys. Bring your radar dectector. Mine was going off all the time. I did a lot of 40 MPH to 85 MPH, and 0 to 60 MPH while renting my car. Didn't do any burnouts everyone is talking about.

When getting gas, I had a Vette owner and a Harley owner asking me about the car. It was sweet. We all know that it isn't just another GT, and the car just commands enough respect and head-turns that people know "this car is different."

And check out was as easy as check-in. Nobody even went over the car with me. They walked up, printed my receipt and I walked away. When I looked back at the car, there were two Hertz people that popped the hood though.

• 3 weeks later...

I also rented 07H316 from Ft Lauderdale Jan 18-21. The car was great it had a few scratches but nothing major with 7700 miles. I planned to rent a shelby about 1 week before purchasing an 06 coupe with 5400 miles on it. I had only driven the coupe about 30 miles before we went to Florida. I really enjoyed driving a GT-H without having to worry about anything. We also went to Key West and stayed in Old Town. I saw 5 other GT-H's while on our trip. I also hated to leave it behind, but at least I have one to go home to. Everybody should try to rent one at least once. I really enjoyed driving on the Fla turnpike, the car would just launch from 60-80mph, and it sounded great too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the Keys and all I can say is WOW! I picked up 07H041 at Miami on the 30th and drove on down to Islamorda. The car had 13000 on the odometer and was missing the hood pin cable on the drivers side. It also had a broken muffler bracket on the drivers side. We still had a great time with the car. The 60-90 mph punch was great. Cant wait to travel to another city that rents the Shelby.

A friend of mine said O'Hare Airport in Chicago had a GT-H in its rental fleet. I did not believe him, and went on-line to Hertz.com and found the GT-H as an option.

Now there is a car that I would not want to rent in Chicago in the Winter!

I thought originally these cars were destined for specific airports, mostly in warm-weather climates. I can rent one of these baby's in my own back yard???

Just 2 weeks until my Tampa rental!!! Can't wait!!!

A friend of mine said O'Hare Airport in Chicago had a GT-H in its rental fleet. I did not believe him, and went on-line to Hertz.com and found the GT-H as an option.

Now there is a car that I would not want to rent in Chicago in the Winter!

I thought originally these cars were destined for specific airports, mostly in warm-weather climates. I can rent one of these baby's in my own back yard???

Just 2 weeks until my Tampa rental!!! Can't wait!!!

Hello,

Welcome to the Forums, I was lucky enough to get a Hertz from Ford for our Team Shelby show last year in Dearborn, it was so much fun Robert ( my husband) I only let him drive it once, and for those of you at Dearborn last year, he got lost :hysterical2: .

As for buying the Hertz I did see a couple of them ( coupes) I believe it was Barrett Jackson up for Auction, I can not remember how much it went for. Robert and I are going down to the Shelby show in Orlando the end of the month and I am trying to get a Hertz for the weekend.

They are a blast and very addicting.

Good luck in your pursuit to get one.

Sharon

I put mine on the passenger side, so when my wife pulls it down, it reminds her how much I like spending her money. :hysterical2::hysterical2:

HSURB

I didn't get LOST - some Canadian (no names mentioned, Sharon) held the map upside down. Now you'd think the average Canadian would at least know which way NORTH on a map is! :finger:

Chipwags... Welcome to the forum!!!

Check with one of our long time posters - Michael Morris - on getting the search going for a used Hertz vert. He's a really good guy to deal with and a bunch of us posters have actually purchased from him.

Gary

Thanks Gary!

The Cobra-venom has crept through my body. A day hasn't passed that I haven't thought about either an an 07GT-H or an 08SGT vert. Personally, I actually like the looks better than the GT500 because of the roll bar, and I really don't need the 500 horses where I live with my current family situation. I'm not going to race the car, and the GT-H and SGT's offer all the punch that I need, with the unique styling that I love.

Next week, I have another GT-H on reserve to rent in Tampa, where I'll be driving to Fort Myers to visit my father. That 2+ hour drive between Tampa and Fort Myers won't bother me a single bit!!! I can't wait - leaving Chicago and all this snow for some Shelby top-down, some golf and Shelby top-down, and spring training baseball, and did I mention some Shelby top-down? :D

I go back and forth for all the reasons people put on these forums between a "new" car and a "rental" car for the same price if not a premium price. Something about the Hertz story is just neat, I've always admired the story of the 66 Hertz GT350H (I own a 65 Coupe too).

My intentions would be not driving it very often (500 miles a year), storing it winters, and perhaps showing it in shows in the Midwest. So, the GT-H has a little bit more of a storied history with my intentions for the car.

I've already touched base with Michael - I admire his posts and participation in this forum - hopefully, some day I'll join the ranks of a "Shelby owner," instead of just a Mustang owner and Shelby afficianado. The forum will know the day that happens!

Until then, I'll lurk and contribute in this forum, learning as much as I can about the wonderful world of Shelby, and enjoy the passionate posts by the owners that participate here.

CHIP

I had to cancel my trip to Tampa as I took a nasty fall on ice yesterday and hurt my arm and hip (nothing broken, just sore and shaken).

Very sadly, I will not be driving a GT-H around FL tomorrow for the next 5 days. I'll be home in 0 degrees temps, trying to get healed instead. :(

Well, I've been a Mustang enthusiast for 27 of my 40 years and as of 11/28/07, I've now been bitten by the Snake! My Mustang history is below in the Signature line.

For my 40th B-Day, my wife and I took a trip to Key West. We flew into Miami and the Hertz Mustang Convertible I had rented was not available. My choice, a Toyota Solara or a Shelby Rental for just $150 more. I didn't even realize it was a convertible, and once they discounted it for me $200 for the week rental, I agreed. When arriving at the parking space, my heart lept out of my throat. It was a convertible. Now I know the history of the 66's, and knew about the 06 couples, but somewhere missed the announcement of the 07H Convertible.

In 6 days, I drove it from Miami to Key West and back (US 1 through the Keys not exactly a good place to really open it up and let 'er rip), but I've been bitten. Roughly 550 miles or so (one way from Miami to Key West is 150 miles, so I found a lot of time to drive around the small 1.5 mile x 4 mile island, and up and down US 1. And no speeding tickets either!

I'm now ready to sell my 65 Coupe and my 04 Convertible to get my hands on one of these when they are available. I just returned home today and found this forum, and have spent a long time reading most of the posts. Sorry for my long initial post - I already miss the car I was driving. It was depressing driving home in my 05 Expedition - trying to pass cars on the highway. I live in the Chicago area and we are now getting 5" of snow right now, so the Shelby will just be a dream for now.

Sounds like there are some knowledgable people and owners out there - I hope to one day join your ranks and look forward to the opportunity to pick one of the 07H's up later in 2008.

#316 - I miss you. I want to buy you.

If you're still interested in buying a GT-H the best dealer to buy one from is Michael Morris in Perry Ga. He's owner of Wayne Morris Ford.

I bought my 2006 GT-H from him and couldn't be happier. I've spoke to several others who have had the same results.

Only dealers can buy these cars when Hertz releases them from their fleet.

I now own a 1966 GT-350H a 2006 GT-H and have a 2008 Shelby Gt500 Super Snake on order.

It's worth the price of a flt to Atlanta to deal with Michael Morris.

His Phone Number is 1-800-741-5472 or E-Mail cobra45L@altel.net

Good luck

Oz Lamonds

Virginia

If you're still interested in buying a GT-H the best dealer to buy one from is Michael Morris in Perry Ga. He's owner of Wayne Morris Ford.

I bought my 2006 GT-H from him and couldn't be happier. I've spoke to several others who have had the same results.

Only dealers can buy these cars when Hertz releases them from their fleet.

I now own a 1966 GT-350H a 2006 GT-H and have a 2008 Shelby Gt500 Super Snake on order.

It's worth the price of a flt to Atlanta to deal with Michael Morris.

His Phone Number is 1-800-741-5472 or E-Mail cobra45L@altel.net

Good luck

Oz Lamonds

Virginia

Thanks Oz-

I actually have already been in contact with Michael. My bro lives in Atlanta, so I would jump on a plane in a heartbeat - I mean hoof-beat!

Now I got to wait for some of those Verts to hit the streets! So cool that you have a 66 GT350H!

CHIP

Archived