TEAM SHELBY FORUM

zMAX...Anyone use it?

I was leafing through some of the documentation I received with my car and found a pamphlet for "zMAX Micro-lubricant". I guess it's an "STP" type of additive or other similar engine wear reducer. It says the results include "increased horsepower, improved perfomance, reduced wear on vital parts, etc. etc." It works at the "molecular level" so I'm thinking maybe this is the magic elixer that Swedeshelby is looking for.....and, it's endorsed by Mr. Shelby himself. But seriously, anyone use this kind of stuff and do you actually see any power improvement?

• 1 year later...

In short- YES. I personally have used in it almost every car and truck that I've driven. I helps with engine longevity, engine sealing, and lowers internal friction.

The Linkite essentially fills in and smooths out the metal surfaces on a microscopic level. Carroll Shelby uses it, and he is not one to put his name on something lightly.

Even my uncle uses it, and swears that its helped his engine stay together (supercharged V8 Ranchero).

I've run ZMax in my 08 SGT since my first oil change at 3000 miles then we went on our vacation to Florida and my fuel mileage was very good on that trip. Seat of the pants performance feels a little better, of course, I'm sure it really isn't anything that is measurable...This stuff has been used in race cars for years though...it was kind of a "snake oil cocktail" that was sold to racers in the pits for use in their cars, but same formula that has been used for years, so yeah, I guess it really works...I'll keep using it in my cars for sure, even though the fuel and oil product runs about 35.00 per oil change additional on top of my Mobil 1 oil change fees, so I'm at about $100.00 per oil change...not a bad price for peace of mind I guess...

What about this old suit? It was settled for $1,000,000.

The marketers of zMax automotive aftermarket lubricant additives have agreed to reimburse customers $1 million to settle a false advertising suit brought by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.

For Release: February 1, 2001

FTC Sues Speedway Motorsports and Oil-Chem Subsidiary

Performance Claims For zMax Auto Additives Are Unsubstantiated, FTC Charges

The Federal Trade Commission has filed suit in U. S. District Court seeking to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and has asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleges that enhanced performance claims for the product are unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually tinted mineral oil. zMax is manufactured by Oil-Chem, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Speedway, based in Concord, North Carolina, operates NASCAR race tracks in the South and in California, in addition to marketing the zMax products.

According to the FTC complaint, since at least May 1999, zMax ran infomercials touting its "Power System," a $39 package of three additives to be used in the engine, fuel line and transmission of automobiles. The infomercials feature testimonials from consumers and race car drivers making claims such as, "I was averaging about 22 miles to the gallon on the highway. I installed the zMax and so I jumped right up to about 28 miles per gallon;" and "zMax guarantees a minimum of 10 percent gas mileage increase." Other marketing and promotional pieces claim, "zMax with LinKite has the scientific, CRC L38 proof it takes your car to the MAX!" and "Why zMAX Works - Cuts carbon build-up on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on piston skirts 60%; Reduces blow-by leakage 17.7%; Increases combustion efficiency 9.25%; Lowers fuel consumption 8.5% - Results of an independent CRC L38 test."

According to the FTC, the CRC L38 test is a standard auto industry tool to measure the bearing corrosion protection properties of motor oils. In February/March 1997, an independent laboratory performed two CRC L38 tests of zMax for Speedway and Oil Chem. In those tests, motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion as motor oil alone. The complaint also states that the defendants fabricated one "report" from the two test reports, eliminating the bearing corrosion results and all other negative test results, and then used that report and the "official laboratory results" - similarly edited to remove detrimental data results - as sales tools in the infomercial and on the zMax Web site.

The FTC's complaint alleges that the defendants did not possess and rely on reasonable substantiation for the following claims in the infomercial, on the Web site and in brochures that zMax:

increases gas mileage;

increases gas mileage by a minimum of 10%

reduces engine wear;

reduces or eliminates engine wear at startup;

reduces engine corrosion;

extends engine life; and

reduces emissions.

The agency's complaint also alleges that the defendants falsely represent that the results of the CRC L38 test proved that zMax:

increases gas mileage;

reduces engine wear;

extends engine life;

lowers fuel consumption by 8.5%

lowers wear on valve stems by 66%

lowers wear on piston skirts by 60%; and

cuts carbon build-up on valve stems by 66%.

Finally, the FTC charges that in consumer testimonials and endorsements in their advertising, the defendants did not have substantiation for the representation that the endorsers' experiences were, "The actual and current opinions, findings, beliefs, and/or experiences of those consumers; and the typical or ordinary experience of members of the public who use the product."

The FTC is asking the court to bar the defendants from violating the FTC Act, which prohibits deceptive acts and to order consumer redress or require that they give up their ill-gotten gains.

This case is the latest in a series of FTC law-enforcement initiatives targeting unsubstantiated claims made by auto additive manufacturers. The FTC previously halted allegedly deceptive advertising by the marketers of Dura Lube, Motor Up, Prolong, Valvoline, Slick 50, and STP, other major brands of engine treatment products.

The Commission vote to file the complaint was 5-0. It was filed in U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina, in Greensboro, January 31, 2001.

The main reason I use it is engine longevity.

They couldn't prove that it does work and had to back off their claims. Why hasn't their "mystery additive" been licensed by a major oil company? Slick 50 and Prolong LOST their cases . . .

Its YOUR engine, use what you want . . . including sand, if it makes you feel better. :D

In the 38 years that I've been driving I have not seen an additive that truly, proven, verified worked.....but....I guess there is always a first time. The thing is, even if these things did work, most people don't keep their cars anywhere near long enough to see results and reap the benefits. So, these things just end up being placebos, in effect, and no different that the elixirs of the past.

Hey, STALWART- watch the personal attacks.

I have tried many additives and after several years- gave up on all of them. I finally tried zMax on a family members car (via his request). It seemed to work. Next I put it in one of mine- seemed to work again. Upon the engine rebuild (overheated), I scrutenized the engine internals. I noticed significantly less wear on the cylinder walls with the zMax. This was comparing two small block Chevrolet engines with similar mileage from the same car (and oil).

As an engine builder and car customizer- I would never use anything that would or could potentially damage my or a customer's car.

What about this old suit? It was settled for $1,000,000.

The marketers of zMax automotive aftermarket lubricant additives have agreed to reimburse customers $1 million to settle a false advertising suit brought by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.

For Release: February 1, 2001

FTC Sues Speedway Motorsports and Oil-Chem Subsidiary

Performance Claims For zMax Auto Additives Are Unsubstantiated, FTC Charges

The Federal Trade Commission has filed suit in U. S. District Court seeking to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and has asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products. The agency alleges that enhanced performance claims for the product are unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually tinted mineral oil. zMax is manufactured by Oil-Chem, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Speedway, based in Concord, North Carolina, operates NASCAR race tracks in the South and in California, in addition to marketing the zMax products.

According to the FTC complaint, since at least May 1999, zMax ran infomercials touting its "Power System," a $39 package of three additives to be used in the engine, fuel line and transmission of automobiles. The infomercials feature testimonials from consumers and race car drivers making claims such as, "I was averaging about 22 miles to the gallon on the highway. I installed the zMax and so I jumped right up to about 28 miles per gallon;" and "zMax guarantees a minimum of 10 percent gas mileage increase." Other marketing and promotional pieces claim, "zMax with LinKite has the scientific, CRC L38 proof it takes your car to the MAX!" and "Why zMAX Works - Cuts carbon build-up on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on valve stems 66%; Lowers wear on piston skirts 60%; Reduces blow-by leakage 17.7%; Increases combustion efficiency 9.25%; Lowers fuel consumption 8.5% - Results of an independent CRC L38 test."

According to the FTC, the CRC L38 test is a standard auto industry tool to measure the bearing corrosion protection properties of motor oils. In February/March 1997, an independent laboratory performed two CRC L38 tests of zMax for Speedway and Oil Chem. In those tests, motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion as motor oil alone. The complaint also states that the defendants fabricated one "report" from the two test reports, eliminating the bearing corrosion results and all other negative test results, and then used that report and the "official laboratory results" - similarly edited to remove detrimental data results - as sales tools in the infomercial and on the zMax Web site.

The FTC's complaint alleges that the defendants did not possess and rely on reasonable substantiation for the following claims in the infomercial, on the Web site and in brochures that zMax:

increases gas mileage;

increases gas mileage by a minimum of 10%

reduces engine wear;

reduces or eliminates engine wear at startup;

reduces engine corrosion;

extends engine life; and

reduces emissions.

The agency's complaint also alleges that the defendants falsely represent that the results of the CRC L38 test proved that zMax:

increases gas mileage;

reduces engine wear;

extends engine life;

lowers fuel consumption by 8.5%

lowers wear on valve stems by 66%

lowers wear on piston skirts by 60%; and

cuts carbon build-up on valve stems by 66%.

Finally, the FTC charges that in consumer testimonials and endorsements in their advertising, the defendants did not have substantiation for the representation that the endorsers' experiences were, "The actual and current opinions, findings, beliefs, and/or experiences of those consumers; and the typical or ordinary experience of members of the public who use the product."

The FTC is asking the court to bar the defendants from violating the FTC Act, which prohibits deceptive acts and to order consumer redress or require that they give up their ill-gotten gains.

This case is the latest in a series of FTC law-enforcement initiatives targeting unsubstantiated claims made by auto additive manufacturers. The FTC previously halted allegedly deceptive advertising by the marketers of Dura Lube, Motor Up, Prolong, Valvoline, Slick 50, and STP, other major brands of engine treatment products.

The Commission vote to file the complaint was 5-0. It was filed in U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina, in Greensboro, January 31, 2001.

And you believe everything that the Government says too??? I've got some ocean front property out here in West Texas that I'd like to talk to you about then... :hysterical: Someone probably put the stuff in their car one time and figured that was good enough for permanant protection...probably blew an engine and blamed it on the ZMax...probably had the same oil that they put the ZMax in too...most people don't change their oil like they should on a regular basis, so believe who you want to, but I sure won't believe anything that the Government has to say...

Hey, STALWART- watch the personal attacks.

I have tried many additives and after several years- gave up on all of them. I finally tried zMax on a family members car (via his request). It seemed to work. Next I put it in one of mine- seemed to work again. Upon the engine rebuild (overheated), I scrutenized the engine internals. I noticed significantly less wear on the cylinder walls with the zMax. This was comparing two small block Chevrolet engines with similar mileage from the same car (and oil).

As an engine builder and car customizer- I would never use anything that would or could potentially damage my or a customer's car.

What personal attack? I didn't refer to you or your lineage in ANY derogatory way. You are basing your OPINION on a non scientific nor verifiable test, "t seemed to work". You still haven answered the question I asked: Why hasn't a major oil company thrown bucket loads of money at these people? I know why, they spend of 10's of millions on R&D each year and they know the stuff is "snake oil" and doesn't do squat but lighten your wallet. I was serious about that fact that since it is YOUR car, put in what you like. I can tell you one thing, Ford ain't gonna endorse the stuff.

And like Government employees, advertisers never lie. Henry "Smokey" Yunick was PAID for his endorsement of ProLong as Mr. Shelby has been for his endorsement of zMax.

I use it on every oil change. I guess i'm naive. I'm one of those guys that says if you're gonna shake my hand, look me in the eye, put your pen to paper or put your name on something then I trust you. If Carroll Shelby burns me on zMax, then i'll be upset that he turned out to not be the man I thought he was... case closed.

My dad was a mechanic for many years...he always used Quaker State oil and a can of STP at every oil change....never had any engine failure of any kind...Of course, that was back in the days of actual carbs and adjustable timing without computers...I started using Mobil 1 in an old 1970 Buick Grand Sport that I had back after High School...my dad gave me his fameous "I told you so" when I blew the motor in that car...he atributed it to the synthetic oil, but I knew the oil didn't have anything to do with it...it was a poorly designed oil pump that couldn't keep up with the demand of the engine on hard acceleration...I'm sure he would be turning over in his grave to see all of the computer engineering that goes into cars now days...

I guess the oil companies don't want to endorse any additives because they want you to believe that their oil by itself will protect your engine...they don't want to admit that their oil by itself is not good enough to do the job...If that is the way you believe, so be it...that's why there are different brands of oil, additives and cars...everyone is different and has a different preference...

I don't think Stalwart made any personal attacks on anyone...he just said if you want to put sand in YOUR engine, go ahead...

I'll skip the sand, but I'll stick with the ZMax!

as Mac would say, "Carry on Gents!"

The comments were bordering a personal attack, which is why I issued the warning. Note that I didn't say something spiteful back.

Anyway, I never recalled Smokey Yunick getting paid for his endorsements for Prolong. May he rest in peace. Besides, I NEVER thought that Carroll Shelby would ever put his name on something that would be inferior. I mean, the guy gets upset when people use his logos on a website- let alone putting his actual personality on a product that could have negative effects. I agree with you MOTORJOCK that IF zMax is ever proved (beyond a doubt) to be junk- Carroll Shelby isn't the man I think he is (as I have a lot of respect for him).

The comments were bordering a personal attack, which is why I issued the warning. Note that I didn't say something spiteful back.

You're pretty sensitive there sparky, I never insulted you, just zMax. I also don't take "warnings" from people with no authority over me.

Anyway, I never recalled Smokey Yunick getting paid for his endorsements for Prolong. May he rest in peace. Besides, I NEVER thought that Carroll Shelby would ever put his name on something that would be inferior. I mean, the guy gets upset when people use his logos on a website- let alone putting his actual personality on a product that could have negative effects. I agree with you MOTORJOCK that IF zMax is ever proved (beyond a doubt) to be junk- Carroll Shelby isn't the man I think he is (as I have a lot of respect for him).

Mr. Shelby is a businessman, he'll get upset if you use his brand without permission and proper payment . . . and I don't blame him a bit, he worked hard for his reputation. I NEVER stated that zMax would CAUSE damage, I just believe it to be a total waste of money with no added benefit. ONCE again I ask, if the stuff is so good why isn't in a major brand of oil? If they could actually prove such a thing, they would make a fortune and save HUGE amounts of money on R & D. You could see a major claiming "our oil out performs all other oils" and not worry about FTC suits.

If you need proof "beyond a doubt", zMax must inspire some major faith in it's victims. I don't hold that kind of faith in any man made product, and I'm VERY skeptical of any "miracle pill" as I've been around long enough to see NOT ONE hold up to it's promises.

It's your car, use zMax, if it makes you sleep better. I'll just stick with a synthetic 5W-50 and change it fairly often.

http://www.secinfo.com/dV179.5Sm.8.htm<====Service and Endorsement Contract With Smokey Yunic

• 2 weeks later...
I started using Mobil 1 in an old 1970 Buick Grand Sport that I had back after High School...my dad gave me his fameous "I told you so" when I blew the motor in that car...he atributed it to the synthetic oil, but I knew the oil didn't have anything to do with it...it was a poorly designed oil pump that couldn't keep up with the demand of the engine on hard acceleration...

I guess the oil companies don't want to endorse any additives because they want you to believe that their oil by itself will protect your engine...they don't want to admit that their oil by itself is not good enough to do the job...

I'm a little confused with your post. First you argue that the oil didn't have anything to do with the motor blowing. So you are in effect implying that you don't share your Dad's belief that additives are something to make the oil (Mobil 1) provide better protection.

Then in the next paragraph you state the reason oil companies don't endorse additives because they don't wish to admit their oil cannot fully protect an engine.

So which is it....do you really agree with your Dad and share his belief that additives are needed OR do you believe that the today's synths are sufficient for protecting engines?

My dad was a mechanic for many years...he always used Quaker State oil and a can of STP at every oil change....never had any engine failure of any kind...Of course, that was back in the days of actual carbs and adjustable timing without computers...I started using Mobil 1 in an old 1970 Buick Grand Sport that I had back after High School...my dad gave me his fameous "I told you so" when I blew the motor in that car...he atributed it to the synthetic oil, but I knew the oil didn't have anything to do with it...it was a poorly designed oil pump that couldn't keep up with the demand of the engine on hard acceleration...I'm sure he would be turning over in his grave to see all of the computer engineering that goes into cars now days...

I guess the oil companies don't want to endorse any additives because they want you to believe that their oil by itself will protect your engine...they don't want to admit that their oil by itself is not good enough to do the job...If that is the way you believe, so be it...that's why there are different brands of oil, additives and cars...everyone is different and has a different preference...

I don't think Stalwart made any personal attacks on anyone...he just said if you want to put sand in YOUR engine, go ahead...

I'll skip the sand, but I'll stick with the ZMax!

as Mac would say, "Carry on Gents!"

I have been working with muscle cars for over 38 years I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the MAJOR BRAND oils made today whether they be natural or syths are completely adequate for protecting a car's engine. I have found it isn't an MAJOR BRAND oil's characteristics that breaks engines...it is usually either (1) the owners neglect of following the scheduled specified care of the engine OR (2) the drivers driving habits that will break the engine.

We all know about engine neglect (#1) and I am sure there is no argument there.

However some folks may disagree with my "driving habits" remark (#2). However I can say to any dissenters without any doubt as well....if a driver has a habit of going out and wanting to always prove some ego-maniacal point about "my car can beat up your car" then that driver is always going to regularly be making some kind of repairs to his/her car's engine.

If you cannot accept this then go spend a summer at the race track pits. After every race you will see the owners of the cars being raced replacing all different kinds of parts on their cars. Engine replacement and parts replacement goes hand-in-hand with putting an engine under stress no matter how well it is built and no matter how good the parts comprising the engines are. This holds true whether it be on the track OR out on country side-roads or highways. It is just the nature of such activity.

My advise to folks particularly on these kinds of forums are to quit trying to always point the finger at particular product characteristics and start lookin into the mirror when something goes wrong with an engine. I am not saying engines cannot fail as a result of defective parts. I am saying however that in many cases the parts of an engine that fail are more often a result of how the driver treats his car while caring for it or out on the road driving it than as a result of some defect with an assembly or part.

Listen to it....learn it....live by it.....because their isn't a damn additive that can be put into the oil that is going to change this fundamental axiom.

I'm a little confused with your post. First you argue that the oil didn't have anything to do with the motor blowing. So you are in effect implying that you don't share your Dad's belief that additives are something to make the oil (Mobil 1) provide better protection.

Then in the next paragraph you state the reason oil companies don't endorse additives because they don't wish to admit their oil cannot fully protect an engine.

So which is it....do you really agree with your Dad and share his belief that additives are needed OR do you believe that the today's synths are sufficient for protecting engines?

I didn't imply anything...my dad believed that the synthetic oil was the demise of my engine...I knew that the oil pump was unable to keep up with the demands of the old Buick 455 engine...My dad was a die hard Quaker State man, but still used STP in conjunction with the oil. I'm sure today's oils either synthetic or standard are up to the task of taking care of the engine as long as everything is changed on a regular basis. I just use the ZMax for what it is...a micro-lubricant that actually soaks into the metal to seal off the pores of the metal and promote less friction...nothing more...it does NOT do anything to enhance the oil itself...

Archived