TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Battery drain

GT-H099

I have two GT-H's. One is fine, the other will take the battery down in three/four days. I put my volt meter on till I found that by pulling the ignition fuse eliminates the problem, but I do not know what to do to FIX the problem. Any suggestions? Thanks

Dealer charged me $45.00 to tell me nothing is wrong.

I had a 05 that would draw a battery down in 2 weeks. I found it drawing .2 amps all the time when off. My 500 is similiar. It's a common problem apparently traced to the active anti theft system. A battery tender or quick disconnect will solve it. it IS annoying :(

When I purchased my SGT the battery was dead from sitting on the dealer's lot. He also told me they had to replace the battery as it would not hold a charge. My car has been sitting for 3 weeks and is dead again. I do not have my owner's manual. Does anyone know if the owner's manual recommends against using the active anti-theft if the vehicle will sit long term?

At this rate I will have to buy a battery pack and just keep in the trunk.

Interesting topic, I have my GT-H at the dealer today getting the fuel pump TSB taken care of and asked him to help me figure out why the car kills the battery in 5 days. This can't be normal - cars sit much longer than this on the dealer lot and I can't imagine it is good for sales to have dead cars around when paying customers want to go for a ride!

I Googled this problem before I took it to the Dealer, so I knew it was not just mine. They suggested to keep a battery tender or shutoff as well. Wow! I put my tester between the negative post and the cable and by pulling one fuse at a time, the drain stopped when the ignition fuse was pulled. I was was hoping someone came up with a resolve.

Ford TSB 06-19-14 describes a "no crank/starter terminal fatigue". There are about 10 vehicles affected, but the Mustang isn't listed.

Issue:

"Some vehicles may exhibit a no crank condition due to an open circuit in the starter relay motor circuit at the starter motor connection".

The TSB provides a repair kit ((6U2Z-14S411-NA) to replace the relay and install a new starter "pigtail", rather than replace the entire harness.

I can't say this is the problem as it is described (or affects us) here, but if your own testing is leading you to determine a relationship between a dead battery and the ignition system, this may be something you want to suggest too your dealer. IMHO, an "open circut" in the starter relay will cause a batttery drain.

Hope this helps, carry on gents.

• 2 weeks later...

All,

I had my GT-H in for some service work and asked the dealer to take a look at the dying battery issue. They indicated that Ford has had some issue with their OEM batteries and replaced mine under warranty. The car has only been back a week and has not died yet and I'm hopeful this solves the problem. If not, at least I have a new battery!

During the same service trip I had the fuel pump replaced and the rear end completely rebuilt per the TSB out on both of them. Our cars are of the vintage where these TSB's apply and I'd encourage all owners to get this done while the warranty is in place! My limited slip rear end is noticably quiter with the rebuild - I didn't realize how much I could hear it until the sound was gone! Don't get me wrong, it was not 'noisy' but a consistent, faint whine under the exhaust that was more pronounced at low speeds and turning.

Archived