TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mr. Shelby's autograph

SGT/SC2873

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its attached to the airbag and I would not characterize the removal as DIY, IMO.

Search the forum, someone posted step by step instructions for the removal.

I also believe someone had the dealer remove it, was charged one hour labor.

thanks. May pick something else if its that much trouble.....

I want to send something on the car to be autographed by Mr. Shelby. I was thinking about the panel that covers the passenger side airbag. Can anyone tell me if this panel simply "pops" off with a little prying or is it held on differently? i.e. nuts or another type fastener? Thanks, Cg

This is a HUGE operation and don't let anyone fool you! The entire airbag assembly needs to be sent. Some dealers won't due it at all because of liability. It has to be removed and crated and shipped. In the meantime you have a huge hole in the dash and your passengers are at risk. You can't get just the plate as a Ford Part. I have called around junk yards but they too want to sell the entire unit $400+ or the bad deployed and the plate is messed up anyway. It's for sure the best place to have the car signed but because of Ford's decision it's the least desirable from a logistics standpoint.

Anyway, people have done it! Just not as easy as you would have thought.

I want to send something on the car to be autographed by Mr. Shelby. I was thinking about the panel that covers the passenger side airbag. Can anyone tell me if this panel simply "pops" off with a little prying or is it held on differently? i.e. nuts or another type fastener? Thanks, Cg

I just pulled out my air bag cover this past Sunday as I was putting her away for the winter. I removed the 4 screws from the bottom of the glove box. Then the glove box came right out. Then I removed the 2 screws holding the air bag assy to the metal structure under dash. Then I disconnected the electrical connector for the airbag. Then from underneath the dash, I carefully push through the plastic tabs fastening the air bag cover to the lower dash. Then from sitting in the passenger seat , I carefully worked the airbag cover/airbag assy out of the hole. Finally I disconnected the air bag assy from the airbag cover . All I need now is the right sized box and its on its way. Hope this helps.

Later,

Pete

thanks for all the help! Not too worried about the "hole" in the dash as not much going on right now and it is not a daily driver. If i decide to do the airbag cover I'll have the wife standby with camera in hand...that way if it deploys in my face she can post pics and we can all get a good laugh! Thanks again.

Here's a couple other things to remember "IF" you plan on removing the airbag cover assy. 1.----you should DISCONNECT the battery FIRST!!!!! One cross wire or terminal--IT WILL SET OFF THE AIRBAG IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!!!!---NOT GOOD!!!!!!! 2. The bag you send should be marked as hazardous material!!! It is almost like sending a bomb in the mail. The PO may want to know about it. I remember when I worked at a dealership and we recieved replacement airbags in, they were ALL marked as hazardous!!!

Just a couple pionts to ponder :D

Bud

Here's a couple other things to remember "IF" you plan on removing the airbag cover assy. 1.----you should DISCONNECT the battery FIRST!!!!! One cross wire or terminal--IT WILL SET OFF THE AIRBAG IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!!!!---NOT GOOD!!!!!!! 2. The bag you send should be marked as hazardous material!!! It is almost like sending a bomb in the mail. The PO may want to know about it. I remember when I worked at a dealership and we recieved replacement airbags in, they were ALL marked as hazardous!!!

Just a couple pionts to ponder :D

Bud

Thanks for the "heads up"--no pun intended. Bud, I was thinking that once you got the airbag removed that the dash panel would seperate from the actual unit, is that not the case? Thanks, Cg

As another option you might consider the drivers side visor. I had the mirror cover on my signed and you can see the signature when you pull down the visor. The mirror cover is really the only part of the visor that can be signed.

I just sent my passenger side visor to have it signed. (CARROLL SHELBY CHILDREN'S FOUNDATION WEBSITE ) I feel it would be used the least so that gives it less chance of being damaged. If an air bag goes off, it can't be reused. I don't think it really matters what you have signed, just having the car signed any where is what's important. They give you a Certificate of Authenticity with the signed part, which is a nice touch. I can't wait!!!!! :D

This is a HUGE operation and don't let anyone fool you! The entire airbag assembly needs to be sent. Some dealers won't due it at all because of liability. It has to be removed and crated and shipped. In the meantime you have a huge hole in the dash and your passengers are at risk. You can't get just the plate as a Ford Part. I have called around junk yards but they too want to sell the entire unit $400+ or the bad deployed and the plate is messed up anyway. It's for sure the best place to have the car signed but because of Ford's decision it's the least desirable from a logistics standpoint.

No matt the entire air bag doesnt have to be sent, i met a guy at a meet and its not that big of deal i think its 6 bolts and the air bag stay there and the metal pops out :rolleyes: :lol:

I was thinking of having the horn button signed ?? It will probably be ok if we don't touch it or dust it off . I know they don't recommend sending in the airbag in case of an accident ,or it gets lost ! Another idea is get a piece of plastic or metal like the signed plaque on the Shelby Gt and have him sign that , then we can stick it on the dash ??

No matt the entire air bag doesnt have to be sent, i met a guy at a meet and its not that big of deal i think its 6 bolts and the air bag stay there and the metal pops out :rolleyes: :lol:

You may be right but I've never seen instructions of how to do this. The above as as close as I have seen but something a little more detailed with safety etc., considered would be good for this weekend mechanic. If someone has them I'm up for it! Well..maybe my sevice guy will be. I'm not touching the thing! :blink: I'll be guy that somehow sets it off and that would be one expensive autograph!

Another idea is get a piece of plastic or metal like the signed plaque on the Shelby Gt and have him sign that , then we can stick it on the dash ??

I think that would be IDEAL and sounds like a great way for the Foundation to fulfill these requests without people having to send a part it at all! Of course some may balk that it's not really a part of the car so maybe that's an issue. Personally I'll take a matching plate that sticks to the stock piece so the signature is on display rather than my fall back of the visor. A plus for the Foundation is Carroll could sign a bunch in reserve and they could just ship as ordered. Maybe an option someone will forward up the chain?

I'm actually trying to coordinate to have the car signed while it's being built. Has anyone done this? I e-mailed the Foundation but need to follow up.

Carroll, no longer sign car interiors as a rule as at 85 it's sometimes a challenge for him to get in and out of the cars. I believe that is posted someplace but you never know!

I too, heard that Carroll no longer gets in cars to sign them, but if you look in the gt500 forum, there is a topic about 40th anniversary gt500's and attached is a picture of carroll sitting in a gt500 signing the car.

I believe it was the 40th anniversary party, and I believe it was recent, but I could be wrong. The guy who owned the car was standing there taking the photo.

Of course, they will probably tell you that was a special occasion, and was an exception to the rule. :o

EDIT: Look under GT500, Shelby signature, post # 2!

You may be right but I've never seen instructions of how to do this. The above as as close as I have seen but something a little more detailed with safety etc., considered would be good for this weekend mechanic. If someone has them I'm up for it!

As mentioned above it's not very hard but YES you need to be very careful. Legal disclaimer - I am not recommending this to anybody, this is for information only.

If you are looking for more detailed instructions check out this earlier post:

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?s=&...findpost&p=8062

You don't have to send the whole air bag assembly, just the dash cover. The dash covers are held in place with some flexible plastic tabs.

Stangfest%2003.jpg

It wasn't a big deal for me and the airbag assy does not need to be sent. It seperates from the airbag cover. See my above post. I also am not recommending this procedure to anyone.

It wasn't a big deal for me and the airbag assy does not need to be sent. It seperates from the airbag cover. See my above post. I also am not recommending this procedure to anyone.

Thanks! This is NEW news to me so I will for sure review and consider it. One thing to note is IF you mess it up, and I'm just saying, again the plate is not available as a separate part and you would need to order the entire airbag assembly $$$.

Word to the wise, no matter what you send for a signature, be sure to properly label the direction you want it signed. I saw and heard some people that had things signed and when they put them back on the car they were upside down. Use masking tape or something to label.

Good luck.

I took mine to the dealer, I think they charged me $120 bucks to remove the air bag assembly, the cover comes off easily. Sent it to Carroll for signature, re-installed the cover on the airbag and took it back to my dealer for them to re-install the airbag. Was very easy. For me....it's the best part of the car.

I don't think any kind of metal plate would be a good idea on the dash, at least in front of the airbag, as a deployment of the airbag may permanantly imprint Carrolls signature in your wife's forehead.......backwards. :huh:

Word to the wise, no matter what you send for a signature, be sure to properly label the direction you want it signed. I saw and heard some people that had things signed and when they put them back on the car they were upside down. Use masking tape or something to label.

Good luck.

Yes that is very good advice and upside down signatures have happened in the past.

Whenever I've had something autographed by Carroll that I wasn't able to do in person I've always marked the part with some quality masking tape with either the words "top" and "bottom" or "left" and "right". Don't forget to apply another piece of masking tape to the back of the part with your name and phone number.

What I've also found helpful is to take a picture of the part, print it out on your computer and write on the picture exactly where you would like it autographed. It also is a good idea to write your name and phone number on this picture.

Keep in mind that Shelby autographs hundreds of items at a time so the odds are your airbag will not be the only one there and this will ensure that all goes well.

Steve

Dumb Question: How does Mr. Shelby or the Foundation keep track of everything he's signed? I mean, do they take pictures, provide documentation, or have other evidence that he signed that particular part from that car and do/will they keep records?

Dumb Question: How does Mr. Shelby or the Foundation keep track of everything he's signed? I mean, do they take pictures, provide documentation, or have other evidence that he signed that particular part from that car and do/will they keep records?

Part of the answer is that you do get a certificate of authenticity.

Unfortunately no records of that sort are kept and it probably would be impossible to do even if they tried.

CSCF does include the previously mentioned COA certificate but the only guaranteed way of proof is having Carroll autograph your item at an event, like the 85th Bday bash, and while he's signing you take a photograph.

My take is that you know he autographed your item and since you're never going to sell it (well hopefully you wont) so all that matters is that you know its authentic and for you to enjoy for many years to come.

Steve

Archived