TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Track Info Requirements?

reedae1856

Question to all you track guys. I am really interested in going to the Mid America Ford Performance and Shelby Meet in Tulsay and participating in the Team Shelby Driving School. My question is.... what do I need to do, if anything, to my base 2007 Shelby GT to pass Tech inspection before I can go on the track? Any info would be great before I sign up to attend.

Thanks,

Adam SGT3670

Hi Adam,

Below is the text from the SCCA event I just attended concerning their track event car requirements. I am sure they may have variations to the Team Shelby school, but maybe this will be a start. I also suggest you bring a lawn chair, a portable air pump, and air pressure gauge.

The helmet rule is VERY strict. In the event I attended, it was mandatory to have a Snell M-2000 or newer rated helmet.

Car Eligibility:

1. The event is open to street legal, registered vehicles. Open-top cars should see item 3 above. Also eligible are cars compliant with the General Competition Rulebook (GCR) in SCCA club racing classes of Showroom Stock, Touring, American Sedan, or Improved Touring or Solo classes of Stock, Street Touring, Street Prepared, or Street Modified.

2. All cars must have a passenger seat with a minimum of a three-point seat belt, both meeting DOT standards as a minimum. Please see Technical Inspection items 4 and 5 below for further clarification.

3. All convertible cars must have either factory rollover protection and/or a proper roll bar/roll cage. Properly installed arm restraints must be in place for both driver and Instructor.

When in driving position helmets must be below the bar. (Factory rollover protection is what late model Mercedes, Porsche and BMW utilize. Please ask early and bring documentation if there is any question) If driver has harnesses, etc, the same safety equipment should be provided for the Instructor.(the better the safety equipment for your Instructor the happier your Instructor will be!)

Additionally, participants with convertibles who possess hardtops should use them, those without hardtops are encouraged to run with the soft top up. Any race prepared car that has no top must meet all safety rules per the SCCA GCR.

4. ALSCCA reserves the right to refuse any entrant should they or their vehicle be deemed unsafe.

Technical Inspection (instructors will be responsible to tech students cars)

1. Convertibles and Targa top automobiles must meet the requirements listed in item 3 above. Convertibles with roll bars, must have the convertible top secured either fully down or fully up.

2. Sunroofs must be closed securely.

3. Brake lights are required on all cars.

4. A restraint system with a minimum, a three-point system meeting federal standards for the year of vehicle manufacture must be in both of the front seating positions. A competition type five-point harness is required in cars modified for racing.

5. All vehicles must have a front passenger seat where the passenger is afforded the same safety equipment as the driver. This requirement may be waived only by specific permission from the Chief Instructor and the Chief Steward prior to the event.

6. Any car that is judged to be unsafe at any time during the event shall be prohibited from further participation until the deficiency is corrected.

7. All loose items inside and outside the car must be removed. The passenger seat back and cushion must be secured

8.ALSCCA reserves the right to refuse any entrant should they or their vehicle be deemed unsafe.

Personal Safety Equipment:

1. All drivers must wear cotton long pants, cotton long-sleeved shirts and closed footwear with rubber soles while on course. Fire resistant suits are not required but are recommended. Any crew members over the wall in the Pit Lane must be similarly attired.

2. A helmet with a rating of Snell M-2000 or higher must be worn while on course

3. Drivers in open cars (with roll bars) must wear arm restraints

Question to all you track guys. I am really interested in going to the Mid America Ford Performance and Shelby Meet in Tulsay and participating in the Team Shelby Driving School. My question is.... what do I need to do, if anything, to my base 2007 Shelby GT to pass Tech inspection before I can go on the track? Any info would be great before I sign up to attend.

Thanks,

Adam SGT3670

Consider adjusting your front sway bar from the factory setting it is on to one of the more aggresive settings. I am doing it this week for my autocross stuff.

Adam,

If you like eBay, this guy has a nice selection of Snell Certified helmets at reasonable prices:

http://stores.ebay.com/JSPOWERSPORTSONLINE

Also check out this link for autocross specific items:

http://www.soloperformance.com/Default.aspx?tabid=59

Be sure to get one of these:

cruisecam-side-sm.jpg

Here is the link:

http://www.soloperformance.com/ShoppingCar.../0/Default.aspx

I too have been looking into some track time but looks like it will be in the spring. Here's where I am confused .... track I am looking into min. requirement is for an SA-2000 helmet and I was getting ready to purchase until I saw the posts about the Snell M2000. I thought the M desginated Motorcycle rating whereas the SA desginated Specialty Application? See below from internet: :

Snell M2000 rated helmets are the standard for use in motorcycling.

Snell "SA" (Sports Application) rated professional helmets provide extreme impact resistance and have a nomex liner for higher fire protection. SA2000 helmets are the standard for competitive automotive sports.

Do different tracks have different safety equip requirements? Which helmet shoud I get? Any help appreciated! Cg

:(

2. All cars must have a passenger seat with a minimum of a three-point seat belt, both meeting DOT standards as a minimum. Please see Technical Inspection items 4 and 5 below for further clarification.

Does this mean the lap-belt and shoulder strap that came with the car or is this something else? ( like a Simpson system?)

Dan

Do different tracks have different safety equip requirements? Which helmet shoud I get? Any help appreciated! Cg

:(

It is not always the track, but the sponsor of the event. SCCA rules allow M2000 or higher. I suggest going ahead with SA-2005 if you are looking to buy.

Also,

as far as the seat belt, it strictly depends on what class. If you driving a street legal car, the standard seatbelt /shoulder belt is okay, if you are in a race prepared car, it requires a 5 point harness.

It is not always the track, but the sponsor of the event. SCCA rules allow M2000 or higher. I suggest going ahead with SA-2005 if you are looking to buy.

Also,

as far as the seat belt, it strictly depends on what class. If you driving a street legal car, the standard seatbelt /shoulder belt is okay, if you are in a reace prepared car, it requires a 5 point harness.

Thanks 07SGT0701.

Wado - Do you know the rating for the Scorpion helmets? I only see that they are Snell/DOT certified. I like the styles and price but i don't want to buy a helmet and it not end up being used. I think I will give the company a call tomorrow and ask.

Thanks for everyones advise

[/quote

I didn't know that there was more then one Snell sorry. I've always considered Snell to be the gold standard I use my helmets mostly on bikes but have never had an issue autocrossing.

Guys, it's not the track but the sanctioning organization for the event and their insurance. Biggest difference is SA helmets have fire-resistant (ie nomex) liner, M helmets do not. *Most* track day events are OK with just M rated, since you are not required to have nomex suits, roll cages and all other associated racing safety gear.

If you want the bases covered, get an SA rated helmet, then there will be no questions. Also I'd advise getting an SA 2005 rating. Helmets are good for approx 10 years after their Snell rating. A 2000 helmet will be null and void wrt sanctioning bodies when the Snell 2010 certification comes out. A 2005 will continue to be valid until ~2015.

Todd

CSM1638

One more thing.

Get the lightest helmet you think you can afford. Light generally = more $$$. But you will be surprised how sore your neck can get trying to hold a heavy helmet up fighting "G" forces on a track at speed after a few sessions. Within the context of what you can afford lighter is better!

Todd

CSM1638

Not to muddy the water to much but the idea of Snell being the way to go is a hotly debated topic these days. There are those that say the U.S. DOT helmets are better and Europes standards are close to the DOT. The arguement is that the Snell helmets are to hard and while they are argueably more survivable they may not be as good for your head. The softer helmets help take some of the impact protecting your head or so the arguement goes. I think Snell is working on a new definition for their products.

Archived