TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Track Day

SGT0701

Well, I just completed an unbelieveable track day in the Shelby. I HIGHLY recommend pushing this car to the limits! Over 150 miles on Barber Motorsports road course, at speed.

:D

This event was a Performance Driving Experience that allowed novice drivers to be paired with experienced drivers on the track. I was able to drive in 6 sessions, and ride in one with a competitive SCCA race car driver. MAN OH MAN! What a day. My arms are sore from gripping the wheel.

I learned a ton about what the car is capable of, and have definately decided that brakes are the next mod.

More info and photos to come.

Okay, now that I have had some rest and my adrenalin is back to normal, I can give more details about the track day.

There were about 47 drivers of different skill levels and car types at the event. We were divided up into 3 run groups, based on experience level of the driver. At least half of the field were in SCCA race cars, Corvettes, Porsches, and Miatas seemed to be the majority. There were 3 other Mustangs, a race ready SN 95, an 07 GT/CS, and an 04 GT.

My instructor was a Vette guy, and he seemed excited about trying out the Shelby. He drove a round and some of his quotes were: "better than I expected", "the handling is sweet", and "get some brakes if you plan on doing this very much".

Barbers is a fantastic road course, below is text from their website (http://www.barbermotorsports.com) on track facts:

-2.38 miles long

-45’ wide

-16 turns, most of which are flowing

-80’ of elevation change

-4 levels of paved paddock

Our track sessions were 20-30 minutes long, and I drove in 6 sessions and was a passenger in one incredible ride with my instructor.

The Shelby drew a crowd, and one old SCCA competitor said "I hated those in the late 60's, cause my split window couldn't keep up".

2080011539_ec49f192da_o.jpg

2080797532_40f84850f7.jpg

2080011667_9a3053ef40.jpg

2080797164_e26320447d.jpg

2080011727_01f9170674.jpg

2080013481_d9d3794ea8.jpg

Barbers is home to the "Porsche Driving Experience", check out this hardware:

2080800694_acd125008e.jpg

Well, I just completed an unbelieveable track day in the Shelby. I HIGHLY recommend pushing this car to the limits! Over 150 miles on Barber Motorsports road course, at speed.

:D

This event was a Performance Driving Experience that allowed novice drivers to be paired with experienced drivers on the track. I was able to drive in 6 sessions, and ride in one with a competitive SCCA race car driver. MAN OH MAN! What a day. My arms are sore from gripping the wheel.

I learned a ton about what the car is capable of, and have definately decided that brakes are the next mod.

More info and photos to come.

I hate I missed the event but the Vols were calling me to Atlanta. I passed by Barber on the way over and wondered how things were going and on the way home I wished I had been with you guys. I'm sure I would have had a better time.

Archived