TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bad news on wheels!!!!!

Strawman

sorry, don't see the picture...

Amy, the GT40 wheel is also on page 31 of the SPP/ Scott Drake winter catalog. Also, I was told by SPP that the CS40, on page 28 of the same catalog, won't be available until 3/08, despite the fact that the catalog says available 12/07. Is this accurate?

Amy, the GT40 wheel is also on page 31 of the SPP/ Scott Drake winter catalog. Also, I was told bt SPP that the CS40, on page 28 of the same catalog, won't be available until 3/08, despite the fact that the catalog says available 12/07. Is this accurate?

the 3 piece 40th, I will check tomorrow, sorry for some reason the picture is just not showing up on my system

I just talked to American Racing. The GT40 wheel has been put on hold. Not really discontinued. American Racing has moved its custom shop from the SoCal area to the Kansas area. The rep I talked to said there is a note in the system that says the GT40 wheel will be available in early 2008. No better then that.

PS.

I asked why don't they have an 18" wheel available for the GT500, to work on a Shelby GT with big brakes. I was told an 18" Razor will becoming out with a new offset that will clear the caliper and fit. But again next year sometime and no further.

There's the American Racing Shelby Torq-Thrusts in 20" that should fit over the brake upgrade kit. You could buy them and have them delivered to SAI for installation while you car is at the Mod shop.

The 18" Shelby Torque Thrust do not work with the Brake Upgrade....So Close....Maybe the 20"....

The 18" Shelby Torque Thrust do not work with the Brake Upgrade....So Close....Maybe the 20"....

I like the Shelby Torq Thrust and would have bought them if they would have been released two weeks earlier. I like the GT40s better but the huge difference in price would have been the deciding factor.

I just talked to American Racing. The GT40 wheel has been put on hold. Not really discontinued. American Racing has moved its custom shop from the SoCal area to the Kansas area. The rep I talked to said there is a note in the system that says the GT40 wheel will be available in early 2008. No better then that.

PS.

I asked why don't they have an 18" wheel available for the GT500, to work on a Shelby GT with big brakes. I was told an 18" Razor will becoming out with a new offset that will clear the caliper and fit. But again next year sometime and no further.

That figures, there's a gap in availability when I want them. It's funny that now that I can't have them I want them more than ever. Did they give any clue as to when in early '08? Thanks for your interest.

I assume you saw the CS line of wheels or how about the alcoas. Also if you do the Razors, keep in mind the back ones are supposed to be exclusive to SAI.

Big brake wise, I found several 18" wheels on tire rack that are supposed to fit on the GT500. They may be compatible with the big brake packages from Baer. Or just buy the GT500 brake package from Ford Racing.

guys the wheels are delayed as said here, on the torque thrust if you get the newer Baer brakes you have to get 20" we are working with american to see if we can't get an 18" to fit

I thought they already identified in the SPP catalog a set of 18s that work with the brakes. In fact the description says something like "only 18" wheels availiable from SPP that work with aftermarket brakes"

EDIT: Found it. Page 30 of the catalog.

SHELBY TYPE S1

Description Part Number Price

S1 20X10, CHROME 695S216 $425.00 ea.

S1 20X9, CHROME 695S296 $405.00 ea.

S1 18X9, CHROME 695S896 $360.00 ea.

S1 20X10, SILVER 395S216 $315.00 ea.

S1 20X9, SILVER 395S296 $295.00 ea.

S1 18X9, SILVER 395S896 $240.00 ea.

Also available in

Black* and Silver

New from American Racing, this wheel is available in 2 finishes. Available Jan ‘08

When ordering be sure to specify backspacing. Available backspacing varies by wheel size, and will be indicated by an additional number at the end of the part number listed here. Not all sizes are stocked in our warehouse, these will be drop shipped directly to you from American Racing. This is the only 18" wheel we offer that will clear the brakes on a stock GT500.

Are the GT 500 brakes smaller than the aftermarket Baer ones from SPP?

I thought they already identified in the SPP catalog a set of 18s that work with the brakes. In fact the description says something like "only 18" wheels availiable from SPP that work with aftermarket brakes"

EDIT: Found it. Page 30 of the catalog.

Are the GT 500 brakes smaller than the aftermarket Baer ones from SPP?

That is the wheel I have pictured above.

found these on page 30 of the catalog. The description says the 18" wheel will clear the brakes of a GT500.

s1.jpg

I saw these in the catalog, I figured "January '08" means April so I haven't given them much thought. I'd love to see them on an SGT, though.

I saw these in the catalog, I figured "January '08" means April so I haven't given them much thought. I'd love to see them on an SGT, though.

They're not too striking at least not in that photo but if the 18" work I bet they will be popular.

no response from my other contact yet. I'll let you know if I find anything out.

Why all the interest in 18" wheels? I prefer the look of the 20's, do others prefer the 18's?

Oh, I am sorry I guess I may have confused threads. I thought part of your concern was 20's to clear the brakes. Some do prefer the look of 18" wheels. Some prefer the softer ride of the 18" tires. Other's need racing tires which aren't made for 20" wheels yet.

Why all the interest in 18" wheels? I prefer the look of the 20's, do others prefer the 18's?

Because they look better, they are lighter, the ride is not as harsh, they aren't as likely to get damaged when hitting a pot hole; and why is it the Grand Am mustang use 20" wheels in pix and 18" wheels when racing? Performance vs looks (this is for you swede :D )

Sorry about the slight redirection here. . . It is about wheels though ;)

I completely like the look of 20" wheels - don't get me wrong, the 18" polished ones that come on the Vist Blue '08 SGT's are great. They look awesome at night when the lights reflect off them ;)

My problem right now is making the decision between 20" Chrome / 20" Silver Razors.......................

Silver because it goes more with the stripes and other accents. . . . . . .

Silver because they can be remanufactured in the future if - god for bid - they were to get damaged

Chrome because - well - because they're chrome and they would kinda match the same look as the 18" polished wheels that came stock on the car.

(Please exuse me while I go pull a few hairs - I just can't decide)

Should I get them through SAI and will they mount tires/sensors on them??

or

Should I go to Discount Tire and have them order up wheels/tires/sensors and get the warranty they offer?

If you haven't received your car from SAI you could get them mounted by SAI and it may show in the registry. I don't know if they are showing the wheels in the registry. The only problem is going to be getting your wheels home. I am still waiting for my hood.........

If you get the wheels somewhere else you don't really have to order a whole new set of sensors. They want you to because there is more profit. Look for an independent wheel or aftermarket shop. The place where I had my wheels mounted took the sensors off the stock wheels, used new bands and mounted the sensors on my new wheels. They work fine. I have had no false alarms and two real activations.

Oh, I say silver. Picks up the stripe and requires less cleaning. But it is your car.

Archived