TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rearend Noise when making right or left hand turns ???

mustangmoe

Hello fellow GT-H owners,

Have any of you heard any whining sounds coming from the rearend when making slow right or left hand turns. I know from years ago the posi units on some make some noise but it is starting to worry me a little. The volume is loud enough to hear over the exhaust from inside the car. Otherwise the car seems to drive and handle fine.

Thanks for sharing what you know or have experienced.

:o

Common problem,If it is still under warranty,They will replace the clutches in the unit,Don't let them talk you into trying a fluid change,That might work for several days then you will be back for the replacement of the clutches.

TSB 06-19-2

"LIMITED SLIP MOAN/GROAN NOISE DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANUEVERS"

This article supercedes TSB 06-12-11

Issue

Some 2005-2007 Mustang GT vehicles equipped with the 8.8 inch limited slip axle may exhibit a moan/groan noise when making tight low speed turns. This may be more noticable when the axle is at full operating temperature. The noise may also be confused as originating from the brakes or steering system.

Action

Replace the limited slip clutch pack with PN 6L1Z-4947-B 3.3 hours.

Sounds like an opportunity to throw a few extra bucks at the wrench and swap out the stock 3:55 gears to 4:10s.

That's my plan.

Hello fellow GT-H owners,

Have any of you heard any whining sounds coming from the rearend when making slow right or left hand turns. I know from years ago the posi units on some make some noise but it is starting to worry me a little. The volume is loud enough to hear over the exhaust from inside the car. Otherwise the car seems to drive and handle fine.

Thanks for sharing what you know or have experienced.

:o

mine was doing it about 2 months ago!!!check TSB-061902,,,TO REPLACE CLUTCH PACK ,,,Have not had a problem since this work was done good luck

Thanks for sharing the news. Not sure what happened to cause the issue. The unit has 13k on it so it will be replaced under warranty.

How much impact would the 4:10 have ?

I don't think you will be happy with a 4:10 gear. While the street performance would certainly go up, (possibly take .75/sec off of a qtr. mile ET) you will likely pick up ring/pinion noise at highway speeds, the increase in the motor RPMs will significantly impact the gas mileage along with adding more wear to the motor. Unless you recal the computer for the new gear the speedometer will be way off and of course the shift timing also.

Archived