TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 500 Actual Corner Weights

I had my GT500 coupe weighed yesterday at Steeda. I have all options including the heavy Shaker 1000 stereo. All fluids are full including full (16 gallon) fuel tank.

Here are the numbers:

LF 1083

RF 1124

LR 852

RR 851

Grand total: 3910

I guess if you delete the Shaker and run with 1/4 tank you could get into the 3700's...

Performance is really about balance and tradeoffs. Weight and fuel economy, cost and value, cornering and comfort(as examples) The best example of thesse traits was the original MIATA. Mazda(not a Ford property at that time) decided that they did not have to spend engineering $ on HP, but on total weight. Their end result(try one, its like calamari) was a car that makes you grin at 25mph because you know that you got EVERYTHING that you and the car had to give in a parking lot exit. Ultimate performance? Nope. Value YES!!!

Not to pry... but why and whom would go to such lengths? Go ahead... no one is looking :ninja:

I went by Steeda because I live close and wanted to check out their axle back exhaust. When I was there a bunch of Steeda guys came out to look at my car. It was the first GT500 they had seen. They wanted to weigh it and put it on a lift to check it out. I said "sure, why not".

As you probably know they do serious suspension work and race car prep. They were interested in the exact corner weights for their aftermarket development work.

What a great group of people work at Steeda BTW.

I had my GT500 coupe weighed yesterday at Steeda. I have all options including the heavy Shaker 1000 stereo. All fluids are full including full (16 gallon) fuel tank.

Here are the numbers:

LF 1083

RF 1124

LR 852

RR 851

I guess if you delete the Shaker and run with 1/4 tank you could get into the 3700's...

Florida Chris, Some may not appreciate the info or understand it but........ Thanks! Great info to have.

would be neat to know how the weight would change by just moving the battery to trunk. The numbers would be pretty close with just a few minor changes

I'm really surprised that the rear weights are so close together, given that the subwoofer is offset to one side. Maybe the fuel tank weight is offset the other way?

I have a neighbor that is a pro at this from racing experience. He has promised to calculate tire pressures for each wheel based on weight. To hear him tell it 1/2 lb results in a BIG difference in handling. He is anal about small details. He says if you add enough of the small stuff together is equals advantage without cost. In a racing series where hardware is strictly regulated, setup is everything. I know it is a huge step from NASCAR to our street application but you hear about 1/2 lb adjustments in pressure frequently. Nitrogen is also used instead of air as pressure does not change with heat due to less moisture.

Go here for an simple explanation.

I went by Steeda because I live close and wanted to check out their axle back exhaust. When I was there a bunch of Steeda guys came out to look at my car. It was the first GT500 they had seen. They wanted to weigh it and put it on a lift to check it out. I said "sure, why not".

As you probably know they do serious suspension work and race car prep. They were interested in the exact corner weights for their aftermarket development work.

Hopefully they give you a discount for allowing them to see & use your car for R & D :hysterical:

Another thing to consider is how much of the weight is in front of the front axle. The terminator had more of its weight forward of the axle - like the battery - than I think this car does. That helps the ability of the car to change direction more quickly - it's called the polar moment of inertia. Corner weights tell you how much is on each tire, but now how it reacts to intended changes in the car's direction when you turn the wheel. This car turns well despite the weight bias. I suspect the suspension folks like Steeda will improve it further.

Here are the numbers:

LF 1083

RF 1124

LR 852

RR 851

Great info, FloridaChris thanks for posting this.

Just thinking out loud... a gallon of H20 is 8 lbs, gas probably 7.2-7.4lbs or so. So a half tank is only about 40-45 lbs or so, maybe another 30lbs for the trunk portion of the shaker 1000 (the rest is the [almost] identical to the shaker 500, so I'm figuring that's only 70-75lbs. So I figure about 3825-3830 with the shaker 500?

Interestingly, while the 65-66 Shelby GT350s were only about 2800lbs, the 67 GT500 was 3826 and 68 was about 150lbs lighter -- both with similar weight distribution to the present one. I guess this Shelby is historically correct more ways than anticipated :doh:

Gasoline= 6.0lb/gal

Anyway that's the figure that pilots use to calculate weight and balance in airplanes.

"Specific Gravity:

Measures the density of gasoline compared to water A specific gravity of 0.720 means that the gasoline weighs 0.72 times as much as water, or it is 72% of the weight of water. Most gasolines weigh about 6.2 pounds per gallon."

Us damn engineers are just no fun to have around. All numbers and such................

twak2.gif

take that you engineer, no more about those significant digits!!!!!!!!!!

twak2.gif

Great info, FloridaChris thanks for posting this.

Just thinking out loud... a gallon of H20 is 8 lbs, gas probably 7.2-7.4lbs or so. So a half tank is only about 40-45 lbs or so, maybe another 30lbs for the trunk portion of the shaker 1000 (the rest is the [almost] identical to the shaker 500, so I'm figuring that's only 70-75lbs. So I figure about 3825-3830 with the shaker 500?

Interestingly, while the 65-66 Shelby GT350s were only about 2800lbs, the 67 GT500 was 3826 and 68 was about 150lbs lighter -- both with similar weight distribution to the present one. I guess this Shelby is historically correct more ways than anticipated :doh:

The ship weight on my car was 3745lbs. Shaker 500 and only about 1 gallon of gas.

Here are the numbers:

LF 1083

RF 1124

LR 852

RR 851

are these figures with or without you in the car? I'm guessing without since I would expect the LF weight to be higher than the RF weight with a driver in the car.

So tell us; Is Steeda coming out with an axle back????? :happy feet:

Back to the subject at hand - weights.

I took an unscientific look at mt GT500 side by side with a Fox car and here's what I see, rounded to the nearest inch;

The battery in the old car (OC) is about 13" forward of the axle, about 12" behind it on the '07 (NC)

The radiator is 23" forward of the axle OC, 20" NC

Engine center is about 3" further back NC.

Alternator and A/C compressor are 3" further back and about 12" lower NC.

Fuel tank is well behind the axle OC, completely forward of axle NC.

All of this is good news for handling. Of course, some of this was achieved by moving the front axle forward. But not only does that improve the car's looks (my subjective opinion, but I still like the Termy's looks), it achieved some good results for handling. I suspect this change in where the front weight is located compared to the old chassis is a good part of why the car doesn't feel nose heavy even though it is. I notice it, and also notice the lack of tire squeal / scrub on the front end on sharp, slow turns such as a 90 degree turn to enter the garage.

Three, does that wicked nose dive in one of the video clips play out in the real world? By that I mean do you sense that if you had to jump on the brakes hard becuase you, er, sort of blew the line :fan: going into a corner, would it(or more importantly does it leave one guessing what might happen?) upset the car to the point of bringing the back end around? I got the impression that that nose dive might be a step learning curve in terms of belief in the car and its limits. Thanks.

Jet -

I'm still breaking the car in with less than 700 miles at this point. Nothing Banzai yet to report. So this is not an evaluation based on extreme behaviors. Yet.

You're asking two different questions, actually. Yes, the car does dive on hard braking and squat on acceleration. But the video, assuming you mean the Bold Moves video, shows a car probably braking hard from 100+ MPH to zero if you believe the voice track. How shall I put this delicately? If you find yourself starting in to a corner and only then realizing you are 100 MPH too fast, brake dive is not your biggest concern. If you get out of that, you should probably get out of the car. For a while. If you're going too fast to make it through the turn, either the front tires will lose traction, or the rear tires will. That will only affect which end hits the hard stuff first. The car will head in an essentially straight line toward the outside of the corner.

Lesser excessive speeds will result in lesser degrees of air dam scraping on the road. You really should scrub off most of the required speed while heading straight before turning in to the corner, then perhaps trail the brakes with light pressure as you turn in. At that point if you need to slow more - say ten to fifteen MPH more - the dive will not be significant from what I've seen. My Termy had some dive as I recall, but I didn't think too much about it, and don't with this car either. This is not something to worry about.

Also, at turn in I've noticed this car has very little body roll.

Words and videos are just that. What the car looks like from the outside to an observer and what it feels like to the driver are quite different. You need to drive it to fully appreciate what I'm saying. Then you can decide for yourself. As I've said before, this is a better car than a Terminator as far as I'm concerned.

Jet -

I'm still breaking the car in with less than 700 miles at this point. Nothing Banzai yet to report. So this is not an evaluation based on extreme behaviors. Yet.

You're asking two different questions, actually. Yes, the car does dive on hard braking and squat on acceleration. But the video, assuming you mean the Bold Moves video, shows a car probably braking hard from 100+ MPH to zero if you believe the voice track. How shall I put this delicately? If you find yourself starting in to a corner and only then realizing you are 100 MPH too fast, brake dive is not your biggest concern. If you get out of that, you should probably get out of the car. For a while. If you're going too fast to make it through the turn, either the front tires will lose traction, or the rear tires will. That will only affect which end hits the hard stuff first. The car will head in an essentially straight line toward the outside of the corner.

Lesser excessive speeds will result in lesser degrees of air dam scraping on the road. You really should scrub off most of the required speed while heading straight before turning in to the corner, then perhaps trail the brakes with light pressure as you turn in. At that point if you need to slow more - say ten to fifteen MPH more - the dive will not be significant from what I've seen. My Termy had some dive as I recall, but I didn't think too much about it, and don't with this car either. This is not something to worry about.

Also, at turn in I've noticed this car has very little body roll.

Words and videos are just that. What the car looks like from the outside to an observer and what it feels like to the driver are quite different. You need to drive it to fully appreciate what I'm saying. Then you can decide for yourself. As I've said before, this is a better car than a Terminator as far as I'm concerned.

ThreeCobras, thanks for the insights... so (I'm putting words in your mouth) you'd say well-behaved given its nums and feeling more balanced than expected? I guess you'll have more insight after some more seat time :)

I think JETSOLVER wasn't implying 100mph over-shoot into a turn (ouch!), as much as trying to get your insight on how balanced overall as evidenced by how she feels on attempted recovery from a misjudged turn entry -- a good indication of overall presence/balance.

I personally like the balance of the '01 Cobra with it's aluminum motor and IRS, but I'm hoping the GT500 is as forgiving in turns with a little surface chop -- not likely a big deal on a track, but reassuring on our back/country roads (where I would never go over the posted 35mph :) )

ThreeCobras, thanks for the insights... so (I'm putting words in your mouth) you'd say well-behaved given its nums and feeling more balanced than expected? I guess you'll have more insight after some more seat time :)

I think JETSOLVER wasn't implying 100mph over-shoot into a turn (ouch!), as much as trying to get your insight on how balanced overall as evidenced by how she feels on attempted recovery from a misjudged turn entry -- a good indication of overall presence/balance.

I was thinking more in terms of if one was taking a free flowing right turn at the pace this car should be capable of(some what more than pedestrian!) and had some stupid punk jump out into the crosswalk against the light. I have a very good story to tell about an avoided accident with a couple friends in the car,where just about any other car would have been in a good crack up. I got the good story BECAUSE of the balance in the car, not despite it.

Jet & 68 -

Just injecting a wee bit of humor and exaggeration to make my points.

I was and am one of the IRS holdouts. But, 'tis not to be on this car. That said, I am looking for examples of 'live-axle' behavior and trying to decide if it bothers me. There are some good sweepers on the way to/from work that I'm well used to, and have driven in my '01 and '04 IRS Cobras for years. Unfortunately, traffic has not allowed multiple opportunities to drive hard through them for evaluation. One 270 sweeper has an inner lane with lots of rough expansion joints, the outer lane is relatively smooth. To date I have seen very, very minimal ass-hop, but I haven't really thrashed the corner for its full length. Interestingly, going through it the other way, headed home, there's a rough pavement repair section that always causes ass-hop --- in the IRS car!

Jet - I've done a few of the emergency maneuvers like the one you describe, but not yet in this car. I don't think it would be much different than the Termy, but can't prove it yet. I tend to think it would be no more dramatic that an unmodified Termy, and probably less so. Just can't report from experience yet.

This is all subjective stuff. I saw someone describe the ride in the GT500 as stiffer than the GT, but not too rough. I'd say the ride is very smooth. There's some reaction to expansion joints - kind of a rubbery shudder probably from the bushings - but it's less than the Termy as I recall. It's been over a week since I last drove my '04, and it had some miles on it. It really is subjective at some point. We may have different meanings for the same word in describing how it feels. This is the best I can do: to say that I think it's a better car. I expect to tinker with it and improve it according to my needs, but I've done that to every car that was worth a crap that I've owned.

Guest evilchris

A point to remember is the term had an IRS on an ages old patchwork chassis. The GT500 has a live axle on a state of the art bad ass mofo chassis. The 500 will blow it away in handling when tuned properly regardless of the axle.

Jet & 68 -

Just injecting a wee bit of humor and exaggeration to make my points.

I was and am one of the IRS holdouts. But, 'tis not to be on this car. That said, I am looking for examples of 'live-axle' behavior and trying to decide if it bothers me. There are some good sweepers on the way to/from work that I'm well used to, and have driven in my '01 and '04 IRS Cobras for years. Unfortunately, traffic has not allowed multiple opportunities to drive hard through them for evaluation. One 270 sweeper has an inner lane with lots of rough expansion joints, the outer lane is relatively smooth. To date I have seen very, very minimal ass-hop, but I haven't really thrashed the corner for its full length. Interestingly, going through it the other way, headed home, there's a rough pavement repair section that always causes ass-hop --- in the IRS car!

Jet - I've done a few of the emergency maneuvers like the one you describe, but not yet in this car. I don't think it would be much different than the Termy, but can't prove it yet. I tend to think it would be no more dramatic that an unmodified Termy, and probably less so. Just can't report from experience yet.

This is all subjective stuff. I saw someone describe the ride in the GT500 as stiffer than the GT, but not too rough. I'd say the ride is very smooth. There's some reaction to expansion joints - kind of a rubbery shudder probably from the bushings - but it's less than the Termy as I recall. It's been over a week since I last drove my '04, and it had some miles on it. It really is subjective at some point. We may have different meanings for the same word in describing how it feels. This is the best I can do: to say that I think it's a better car. I expect to tinker with it and improve it according to my needs, but I've done that to every car that was worth a crap that I've owned.

Thanks, 3C ...can you tell we're hungry or what? :hysterical: PSDS meds running low here.

A point to remember is the term had an IRS on an ages old patchwork chassis. The GT500 has a live axle on a state of the art bad ass mofo chassis. The 500 will blow it away in handling when tuned properly regardless of the axle.

I suspect you're right, Chris... possibly with the exception of bumpy sweepers where IRS tends to shine. But overall I have no doubt this car is more solid than the SN95s.

68 -

Noted. I was there too not long ago, that's why I'm doing my part. Interestingly, I just got to drive my '04 back home because the lease turn-in won't be sorted out for about a week - I'm posting on this in a new thread. Anyway, I didn't get to push it very hard due to late rush hour traffic. I STILL like it!. I STILL stand by what I said above about the GT500. I'm not tempted to find a way to keep it even if I did have the closeout money.

Archived