TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shifter rattling

Haven't seen a post about this, but I don't check here as often as I should. My shifter rattles excessively when I goose it unless I am gripping the thing tight. I'm sure others have experienced this...

What have you guys done to resolve that issue? This personally bugs me more than a perfectly flat hood scoop.

Haven't seen a post about this, but I don't check here as often as I should. My shifter rattles excessively when I goose it unless I am gripping the thing tight. I'm sure others have experienced this...

What have you guys done to resolve that issue? This personally bugs me more than a perfectly flat hood scoop.

Just picked our 07 up Tuesday night. It's used with 5,500 miles, but the shifter is doing the same thing you describe. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks

Haven't heard a "rattle", but I have felt unusual vibration in 3 and 4 through the stick when I rest my hand on it. I figured it was the extra weight/pull on the stick telegraphing feedback back from the gear syncros. Take my hand away, nothing. Sorry, I don't think I'm answering your question.

From the top side you can remove the shifter ball then lift up on the edges of the shift boot. Remove the boot completly and you will see 2 bolts and nuts holding the shift lever to the main shift structure. Maybe the bolts loosened that would be the simple fix. If not I have read that the bolts under the car holding the shifter assembly were loose and the bolts had blue locktite applied and retightened and the problem went away.

Haven't heard a "rattle", but I have felt unusual vibration in 3 and 4 through the stick when I rest my hand on it. I figured it was the extra weight/pull on the stick telegraphing feedback back from the gear syncros. Take my hand away, nothing. Sorry, I don't think I'm answering your question.

I have the same issue you have Lulu--vibration in 3 & 4, but my is audible as well, especially as RPM's increase

I would have bet money that the linkage in mine was the source of the rattle. I was the front exhaust brackets fixed very simply by Freeway Ford, Columus, GA. call kevin @ 706-563-2821 for details. This dealer service department has called back to see if they cured the noise, above & beyond any service I ever expected from a domestic dealer.

From the top side you can remove the shifter ball then lift up on the edges of the shift boot. Remove the boot completly and you will see 2 bolts and nuts holding the shift lever to the main shift structure. Maybe the bolts loosened that would be the simple fix. If not I have read that the bolts under the car holding the shifter assembly were loose and the bolts had blue locktite applied and retightened and the problem went away.

+1

Also there is some rubber mounting or something that someone posted awhile back that can fall downward and away transferring more energy to the shifter handle causing the vibration. No idea if that's true but at one time it was posted as a fix for someone.

• 4 weeks later...

The wifey took hers in last week to the dealer with a list of minor things to look at. One of them was the shifter rattle.

I got a call Friday from the service manager saying they had talked to SAI and Hurst and that Hurst was redesigning the whole shifter and should have a new one out in about a month. Has anyone else heard this?

Thanks

The wifey took hers in last week to the dealer with a list of minor things to look at. One of them was the shifter rattle.

I got a call Friday from the service manager saying they had talked to SAI and Hurst and that Hurst was redesigning the whole shifter and should have a new one out in about a month. Has anyone else heard this?

Thanks

No idea about any shifter changes BUT someone over on the Team Shelby forums said that "the service mgr. called ford the said that their reports said to remove the two exhaust hangers at trans cross member and leave them off that they are not needed. The noise completely stopped in both places. I suggested tightening the bolts on the shifter at the transmission but they said that they were fine it was the exhaust hangers."

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...showtopic=13594

Post #10

That makes sense Jeff. When I installed the Hi-Flow cats and X pipe I had an issue with the hanger rods not being aligned. The Ford Master Tech told me he has been cutting the rods off of the new gen cars because of rattle issues and improper fit. He too said they are not needed and are there for extra support (if needed). Most of the SN195 series cars do not have them at all in there design. My 04 Cobra had no mid hangers and never a rattle over 4000 miles.

On October 24th my car had 3,600 miles on it and my shifter began rattling in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. The shifter rattles whether my hand is on the shifter knob or not. The service station mechanic lifted the car, removed the two bolts that attach the shifter brace to the tranny, and applied blue locktight to each

I took the car to local dealer and was told to call SAI. Bud at SAI told me to return to the dealer and have them call PCG Campbell at (800)367-3788 to set up a file for the claim.

ShuttleGuy was the first I recall that described the shifter rattle. SGT 4305 now has 7,000 miles. Will post after I return to the local Ford dealer for a shifter rattle fix. Still love the car and hope to have it forever.

• 2 weeks later...

On October 24th my car had 3,600 miles on it and my shifter began rattling in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. The shifter rattles whether my hand is on the shifter knob or not. The service station mechanic lifted the car, removed the two bolts that attach the shifter brace to the tranny, and applied blue locktight to each

I took the car to local dealer and was told to call SAI. Bud at SAI told me to return to the dealer and have them call PCG Campbell at (800)367-3788 to set up a file for the claim.

ShuttleGuy was the first I recall that described the shifter rattle. SGT 4305 now has 7,000 miles. Will post after I return to the local Ford dealer for a shifter rattle fix. Still love the car and hope to have it forever.

Yes, I still have an issue with the vibration/rattle. My intention was to take my car in over the holiday break but was not able to do so for other reasons. I am going to mention this issue to the service manager when I get the opportunity to take my car in. I also had noted in a separate message that the aft portion of my shifter linkage was not installed (came out of?) in a bracket properly. Something I was able to fix on my own. Sounds like this exhaust hanger repair is something I'll defer to the dealer.

BTW, did your shifter vibrate/rattle during the times when you would lift your foot off the accelerator and the car is still in gear? I experience vibration both during acceleration and deceleration. I'm hoping this is all related to the exhaust hanger fix in any case.

BTW, did your shifter vibrate/rattle during the times when you would lift your foot off the accelerator and the car is still in gear? I experience vibration both during acceleration and deceleration. I'm hoping this is all related to the exhaust hanger fix in any case.

Sorry I wish I could tell you. As soon as it started to do that I began to leave my hand on the shifter all the time.

Sorry I wish I could tell you. As soon as it started to do that I began to leave my hand on the shifter all the time.

I appreciate the response. Just for clarification, does this exhaust hanger cause the pipes to ride on the trans or does it rest on the linkage somehow? I'm just wondering how this vib makes its way up the shifter handle.

Thx

• 4 months later...

I had to call the dealer again, but they finally got a new shifter in and replaced it 2 weeks ago. It took 4 hours, but it was worth it. I think the new one shifts cleaner and NO MORE RATTLE. We love it.

Now, I'll work on the scoop and stripes.

I had to call the dealer again, but they finally got a new shifter in and replaced it 2 weeks ago. It took 4 hours, but it was worth it. I think the new one shifts cleaner and NO MORE RATTLE. We love it.

Now, I'll work on the scoop and stripes.

Do you know if there is any difference in the shifter or did they just cut the exhaust hangers when they installed the new shifter?

Also, does your wife have a sister? LOL

Do you know if there is any difference in the shifter or did they just cut the exhaust hangers when they installed the new shifter?

Also, does your wife have a sister? LOL

They didn't say anything about cutting the hangers. I think all they did was replace the shifter.

Sorry dude, she's an only child. :)

I appreciate the response. Just for clarification, does this exhaust hanger cause the pipes to ride on the trans or does it rest on the linkage somehow? I'm just wondering how this vib makes its way up the shifter handle.

Thx

The exhaust hangers are on the tranny cross member. I think I posted pics way back in this thread somewhere. I'm still not 100% convinced this is the issue because the hangers are pretty far from the shift linkage.

Not only that, someone posted while back that he thought his new shifter was differen than the orginal.

While i was dealing with my scoop/stripes i asked the service manager about shifter rattle.He called ford they told him to take the shifter off and check the tolerance.If it was not to specs they would send a new one.They also said it would have some rattle.I am going to let them check it when while they are fixing scoop/stripes.

Archived