TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How many have modded?

SGT3517

Roger's car is secretly the prototype for the SuperSnake. If he shows up at a car show you're at just give him the best in show and hope for the scraps !

I can't wait to see both of your cars in a pic Rick. Maybe an Xmas present for the vert? I forgot to mention that I also purchased a billet engine cap kit WITHOUT the Snakes. If anyone out there is looking for a set of billet hood pins I have a set for sale. PM me for details. Rick your car is pretty special also. If Adam shows up at the same show I'll have to borrow his display :lol::lol::lol:

Mine runs rich too. I can see black inside the rear pipes. I wonder if they were all tuned that way?

IMHO...Your description sounds way too rich to me. I don't have any carbon deposits inside my tips. As long as you haven't tampered with the EEC in any way, I suggest you take your SGT in for inspection. You may have a bad injector, IAT, or, MAF sensors. What octane are you burning, and what's your average MPG, city and HWY? I'm getting 17-18 in the city, and 22-23 HWY on 93 octane Citgo.

IMHO...And whitout knowing more about the FRP/Shelby tune, I would agree that the stock Hertz/SGT tune is intentionally a tad on the rich side and for prolly for engine safety's sake. Originating in Nevada, but sold/driven nationwide, I am sure SAI engineers settled on a tune that would be safe for us to beat on in any atmosphereic conditions with any fuel source, Maine to FLorida, Canada to San Diego.

Imagine the complications for SAI if the Hertz/SGT cars started loosing pistons due to lean tunes, degraded fuel and detonation, and it was happening nationwide. This would not be good for SAI business, thus, the change in warranty agreements when you reach for the ultra-power options. It's my understanding that the Super Snake has a much different warranty than our SGTs. Have I got this right?

Corey Simpson (Simpson Racing, Byron IL.) told me that without a doubt, he could clean it up and recover some lost power without taking any risks, but this would make my SGT more Chicagoland specific in atmospheric conditions and fuel quality. Since I plan to take LuLu OTR in the spring, this lost power isn't that important to me. Once I supercharge, that tune will be refined to my personal needs.

Aftermarket tuning without the benefit of a professional dyno tune can be risky business. IMHO, once you flash over the OEM tune, it's possible that you will have issues to address when you expect the OEM warranty to fix any driveline failures. There was a time FMC technicans could not detect a flash-over, not even when the stock OEM tune was restored. Those days are gone now, so, IMHO, act accordingly.

Five years ago, when I tuned my first FMC product, it was an add-on chip that required a tab on the EEC to be removed. Taking the chip out restored the OEM tune, but the EEC had a hole in it. A few years later, we learned to flash-over via the OBDII port and leave the tab unharmed. Nothing in the EEC programming could detect a flash-over, but FMC caugh on fast. We can still "flash-on, flash-off", but the flashing is recorded and can be detected in about 30 seconds.

IMHO, any aftermarket tuning should be installed by a professional tuner on a dyno. Otherwise, the risks are too great.

The issue of Ford's ability to detect a custom tune has been discussed here before and I was under the impression from reading those posts that a custom tune could NOT be detected providing the original tune was restored before a trip to the dealer. Some even raised the question of a breakdown resulting in a trip to the dealer that would not allow for a reflashing of thre original tune as a deterrant. Only because several have posted here in the "Breenspeed tune debate" that once the stock tune was restored, the changes could not be detected. I believe someone even claimed to be a Ford service technician?

I am not disputing or debating your claim, I only point out that some have emphatically posted the contrary, in an obvious effort to convince people the custom tune had no warranty forfeiture.

I am now officially confused.

Archived