TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Guess we're not as well accepted as we think...

LuLu

Does not really surprise me that an SRT8 would be better handling than the GT500. I wonder what they are saying on the Cadillac forums. I don't think the Shelby stands a chance against a V series.

robin

What are the differences in the handling characteristics of the Shelby GT 500 and the Shelby GT, even if the GT is supercharged? Has that comparison been made. The GT is a little lighter but the GT 500 seem to be better equipped suspension wise. Just curious. Jim

Can't remember where I read it, but the GT 500 suspension is set up for baby boomers. That is, it's not optimized for the track but for day to day use.

Hi Mark,

If the GT500 is set up for Baby Boomers, what is the SGT set up for? The consensus seems to be that the SGT handles better and, goodness knows, it is sprung pretty tight. Jim

SGT is set up more for performance (Ford Racing Performance Parts). This means it has a firmer/lower ride. It's going to take the twistees with more confidence than the GT 500. Some will like this but it does come at an expense.

The GT 500 will appeal to a larger audience as it will be more livable on less than ideal roads. The SGT will not as many folks will find the SGT ride too firm.

From what I've read the Bullitt ride is in between the Mustang GT and the Shelby GT.

I only have one thing to say.....

Chrysler is giving their cars away rebates, zero % ect. and with the Shelby....... you can't touch a GT500 for anywhere near list price even if you could find one.

So i guess the Chrysler may out handle a stock Shelby on the road, but the Shelby will totally blow the Chrysler away where it counts..... in the wallet

meckonica

40th Anniversary

07XL0226

Signed in person by Carol Shelby

SGT is set up more for performance (Ford Racing Performance Parts). This means it has a firmer/lower ride. It's going to take the twistees with more confidence than the GT 500. Some will like this but it does come at an expense.

The GT 500 will appeal to a larger audience as it will be more livable on less than ideal roads. The SGT will not as many folks will find the SGT ride too firm.

From what I've read the Bullitt ride is in between the Mustang GT and the Shelby GT.

Trash talking the GT500 <_<

You SGT guys seem to forget that your Mustangs didn't come from the factory, they came from Shelby Automobile...

My GT500 came from the factory, but there ain't much "factory" about it anymore.

I'll take anyone of you SGT guys on, or any SRT8, 300 piece of sheott on for that matter, any time, any place...Let's put money on it B)

At least the SRT8, 300 guys stay on their own forum to brag about their cars...I think you SGT guys should have another helping of turkey...

Happy Thanksgiving,

WP

Trash talking the GT500 <_<

You SGT boys seem to forget that your Mustangs didn't come from the factory, they can from Shelby Automobile...

My GT500 came from the factory, but there ain't much "factory" about it anymore.

I'll take anyone of you SGT guys on, or any SRT8, 300 piece of sheott on for that matter, any time, any place...Let's put money on it B)

At least the SRT8, 300 guys stay on their own board to brag about their cars...I think you you SGT guys should have another helping of turkey...

Happy Thanksgiving,

WP

WP64,

On this particular Forum, there is not much "them against us" talk as we view ourselves, for the most part, as a group of people who are, first and foremost, Mustang enthusiasts. Anytime a SGT person talks up his or her SGT, there is no implied "dis" of the GT500 or any other car. What we are about here is not "taking on" anyone given these are cars, not parts of our anatomy. Mostly, we swap information about our cars with the goal of being able to enjoy them all the more for that information swap. Still there is plenty of room here for the opinions of everyone including folks with your level of enthusiasm. We welcome visits from car buffs of every sort. Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts. Jim

WP64,

On this particular Forum, there is not much "them against us" talk as we view ourselves, for the most part, as a group of people who are, first and foremost, Mustang enthusiasts. Anytime a SGT person talks up his or her SGT, there is no implied "dis" of the GT500 or any other car. What we are about here is not "taking on" anyone given these are cars, not parts of our anatomy. Mostly, we swap information about our cars with the goal of being able to enjoy them all the more for that information swap. Still there is plenty of room here for the opinions of everyone including folks with your level of enthusiasm. We welcome visits from car buffs of every sort. Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts. Jim

"We welcome visits...Thanks for dropping by..." Thanks for dropping by the GT500 forum Jim :rolleyes: I've been posting here since May...

I see you're a SGT owner...Nice to know you speak for the entire forum, unfortunatly, some of your fellow SGT owners don't seem to share your "we're all one big happy family" motto.

Here's a small sampling of SGT owners quips on the GT500

*"My impression has always been that the GT500 is made for one thing....go REALLY fast in a straight line. I'm sorry it's a great car but the suspension is just awful, wheel hop like crazy, sits way too high giving a poor center of gravity, etc. I have two very good friends that do autocross weekly. One with a lowly Audi TT and he kills GT500s all the time on the tracks up in WI." MattChicago on the GT500 forum

*"THE GT 500 IS WHAT A LOT OF PEOPLE WANT FOR THE ADVERTISED HORSEPOWER, BUT THE SHELBY GT WITH A SUPERCHARGER WILL RUN CIRCLES AROUND IT, LESS WEIGHT, AND BETTER SUSPENSION." Choppers on the GT500 forum

*The GT500 looks kind of like it is sitting on a 4x4 suspension when beside a Shelby GT." ShelbyCobra826 on the SGT forum

*"Can't remember where I read it, but the GT 500 suspension is set up for baby boomers.' AFBLUE, you read it in the SGT forum...

*"I am so looking forward to racing my shelby gt against a gt 500 at infinion raceway in sonoma county ca. wed. nite drags this year. He will be in disbelief when my lighter super charged girl motor gt tromps his heavy, big money ,shelby gt 500 ass!!!!!" shelbygtman on the SGT forum BTW, he lost :lol:

There's more...Many more like the above comparing a Shelby Auotmobile preped Mustang to a factory preped one. Quite naive of SGT owners to think that the GT500 owners won't upgrade their suspension/drivetrain/engine, like SAI did on the SGT's... I've dumped close to $20K into upgrades and my GT500 is now one mean arss road racer and there's more to be done...

So much for your "coom-by-ya, we're all one family under the Shelby sky" message Jim.

Just for giggles, let's compare two SAI preped Mustangs, the SGT and the Super Smake...How would that race turn out guys?

Whatever, this post will probably get deleated by John or Amy for being too hostile, too antagonistic...But that won't erase the spirit of my message; all the above and more is here in this forum and that's not going away...

Now I'm going to go to that SRT8, 300 forum and give them a little dose of GT500 reality B)

"We welcome visits...Thanks for dropping by..." Thanks for dropping by the GT500 forum Jim :rolleyes: I've been posting here since May...

I see you're a SGT owner...Nice to know you speak for the entire forum, unfortunatly, some of your fellow SGT owners don't seem to share your "we're all one big happy family" motto.

As you wish, WP64. Given that one's perception is one's reality, it is clear it would have been better if some had not ruffled your feathers. While I do not speak for the entire Forum (not sure where you got that from), for myself, my experience has been as I expressed in my first post in reply to yours. Perhaps, with a bit of luck, your future experiences on this Forum will be better than those of the past. In the meantime, enjoy your car. It is one good looking machine. Jim

As you wish, WP64. Given that one's perception is one's reality, it is clear it would have been better if some had not ruffled your feathers. While I do not speak for the entire Forum (not sure where you got that from), for myself, my experience has been as I expressed in my first post in reply to yours. Perhaps, with a bit of luck, your future experiences on this Forum will be better than those of the past. In the meantime, enjoy your car. It is one good looking machine. Jim

"Perception" ? Jim, I've been reading SGT owners trash talking the GT500 here for months, on your SGT forum and others, including the GT500 forum; it has driven me away from this site. Do you think this thread is the first time it's happened? The interesting thing about it is that it's mostly coming from the SGT owners and directed at the GT500 owners.

<bleep> It Jim! (Bones-Star Trek), I think the facts are standing in the way of your misconceptions...Perhaps you should search the forums, the trash is there if you want to find it.

WP

"Can't remember where I read it, but the GT 500 suspension is set up for baby boomers.' AFBLUE, you read it in the SGT forum...

Just did a search on these forums, but I couldn't find a previous mention of baby boomer as it relates to the GT 500 ride/suspension.

My comment wasn't meant as trash talking the GT 500. Sorry you took it that way. I was simply pointing out that the ride/supension isn't as firm as the SGT's which is gives up ride quality for more performance.

From the reviews I have read, the GT 500 ride quality is somewhere in between the Mustang GT (relatively soft) and Shelby GT (relatively firm). Here's a quote from a Motor Trend article

The suspension is noticeably firmer than that of a regular GT--spring, damper, and anti-roll-bar rates are all up--but it's toned and athletic rather than harsh and stiff.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...rd_shelby_gt500

In many people's books, that's a good thing. I'm not a baby boomer (missed it by 2 years), but I would rather have a softer ride than than the SGT has. Oh well. At least it will be softer ride than my lowered 96 GT is.

Just did a search on these forums, but I couldn't find a previous mention of baby boomer as it relates to the GT 500 ride/suspension.

My comment wasn't meant as trash talking the GT 500. Sorry you took it that way. I was simply pointing out that the ride/supension isn't as firm as the SGT's which is gives up ride quality for more performance.

From the reviews I have read, the GT 500 ride quality is somewhere in between the Mustang GT (relatively soft) and Shelby GT (relatively firm). Here's a quote from a Motor Trend article

I've read that same passage before. It was part of a loooooooooooooooooong post on another forum. If I remember correctly, it was a disappointed GT500 buyer / looker who complained that the ride was too soft for his liking. I agree with Jim - there isn't a whole lot of bashing on this forum COMPARED TO other sites where its the GT guys insulting the V6s, the V6 guys insulting the SGT buyers, and pretty much everyone against the GT500 owners (and vice versa).

I've read that same passage before. It was part of a loooooooooooooooooong post on another forum. If I remember correctly, it was a disappointed GT500 buyer / looker who complained that the ride was too soft for his liking...

Was this the post you are thinking of? I think it's the one I was trying to recall. If so, you're right. It's from a GT 500 owner. http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...ndpost&p=239865

Based upon the top secret Ford marketing portfolio on this thing, the "GT" in GT500 stands for "Geriatric Tourer." Ever heard that slogan "this ain't yer daddy's Oldsmoble"? Well, this IS your Grandpa's mustang!!! In no way do I mean this negatively, but there is a bigger picture no one really pokes at here. The GT500 was primarily built as a baby boomer marketing ploy, for Ford to use the Shelby moniker of the 1960's roadrace era to cleverly tap into the higher price point of the many tens of thousands of people in the Lexus/Porsche/Corvette/Viper older-but-sporty crowd where the real money is, for the growing, huge 60+ age demographic who don't really see themselves in a Mercedes SL, but long for the "muscle cars" of yesteryear from their youth. They desire a hip, retro-looking American-built muscle car, but nonetheless want a civilized Lincoln Continental type ride, and quiet interior to take the wife to dinner at the Golf and Country Club, and tell their friends on the Lawn Bowling Team that they have a 500hp Shelby. This is why Ford's GT500 project group is so "NVH sensitive". There's nothing wrong with this and it's not a criticism, I think it's great that this car is a desirable commodity matched to a more mature group that wants it, appreciates it, and feels special about the car and themselves just by owning it. This car, however, was unavoidably purpose-built and designed to match the needs and expectations of its 60+ purchaser-target audience. Ford is a business with shareholders and a responsibility to the bottom line, not a hot rod club (despite the "SVT division"). 80% of these cars are garage queens and second or third "weekend" rides that will never see more than 70 mph or be revved over 3000 rpms, accordingly. Ford knows this and planned for it this way. For this age demographic and price point at more than double the cost of a loaded Mustang GT, especially considering the dealer markups, a nice mushy ride quality with no road noise and an anemic exhaust you can't hear from inside the car are absolute must-haves for the "targeted buyer" according to Ford's market research and planning, bet your sweet fanny.

Was this the post you are thinking of? I think it's the one I was trying to recall. If so, you're right. It's from a GT 500 owner. http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...ndpost&p=239865

Yep. From looking on the GT500 boards, they seem to talk about suspension upgrades quite frequently. That shouldn't be interpreted as the GT500 having a "weak" suspension, but obviously it isn't up to par with what those buyers expected. Everybody's a critic. :)

WP,

after 20k in upgrades, YOUR car has a better suspension than the SGT?

Well, I would hope so, after spending 65k total! Assuming you didnt cough up a huge ADM like most GT500 buyers did. then just add to the total.

stock to stock on suspensions?.....I dont know, I havent driven both.

I know the SGT handles like it on rails bone stock and that is much of the cars appeal (to me)

think about it.......you paid much more than a regular GT for the engine, we (SGT owners) paid much more than a regular GT for the suspension upgrades and Shelby pedigree.

apples to oranges probably

I try not to get caught up it the differences and which is better, I picked the SGT cause it was appealing to me, you picked the GT500 for your reasons,

THE REST IS A BUNCH OF HIGH SCHOOL BANTER.

When you turn on your car, does it return the favor? mine does, I bet your does for you too. :D :D

Happy Motoring!

WP,

after 20k in upgrades, YOUR car has a better suspension than the SGT?

Well, I would hope so, after spending 65k total! Assuming you didnt cough up a huge ADM like most GT500 buyers did. then just add to the total.

stock to stock on suspensions?.....I dont know, I havent driven both.

I know the SGT handles like it on rails bone stock and that is much of the cars appeal (to me)

think about it.......you paid much more than a regular GT for the engine, we (SGT owners) paid much more than a regular GT for the suspension upgrades and Shelby pedigree.

apples to oranges probably

I try not to get caught up it the differences and which is better, I picked the SGT cause it was appealing to me, you picked the GT500 for your reasons,

THE REST IS A BUNCH OF HIGH SCHOOL BANTER.

When you turn on your car, does it return the favor? mine does, I bet your does for you too. :D :D

Happy Motoring!

Well said :)

Archived