TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SS or DIY

LuisA

OK, before I put out another $31k on a 725HP SS, I like some comments on why to do this vs just buying and installing a new blower, intake and exhaust for a third of what SAI charges?

I have seen in this forum cars done this way and producing OVER 800HP.

All of you who have already placed your orders for a SS, why did you go that route?

Thanks,

LuisA

Here is my read on why a SS:

50,000 car+15k (DIY)cost -depreciation=65k outlay but 45k value give or take

versus

50,000 car+31k SS cost=81k and possible longterm appreciation. Ultimately perhaps 100k+ or more which equates to owning the vehicle without a net cost but with a gain and pride of ownership!

I felt for the 15k I would save today, it might easily cost me 50-100k in 20-30 years. That being said-No one really knows for sure.

The other reality is that when i build em I get immersed in the details and lose focus on my business. My last project was a 10 second Terminator. It cost me 28k for the last build and probably 60k in lost income over 6 months while I built it. This time I won't be as distracted.

Yeah, that's the main arguement for having SAI do it is long term value. Whether this pans out is anybody's guess, but I think everyone will agree that you get pennies to the $ return when you DIY.

I guess that the nice thing of having Shelby do it is that they modify all areas that need modification at once......suspension, brakes,wheels, CAI, exhaust, blower and tune and it is doneby professionals with Ford's blessing..........so, I guess that has some value that has to be paid for.

LuisA

The only SAI automobile that ever made any financial sense to me, was (is) my '07 SGT.

Considering the initial cost of the base Mustang GT it's built on, and the cost of all the FRP add-ons (including installation labor in some cases), I drove my SGT home for 34,400.00.

I could not build this car from a production Mustang GT myself for one penny less, so, it's a good deal, IMHO. Nice that I picked up all the Shelby heritage for free.

Archived