TEAM SHELBY FORUM

600 or 725 HP SS?

LuisA

OK, I have been reading this board and will probably send my GT500 to SAI for a SS upgrade. My question is, which of the two? At 600 HP you have full warranty, but 725 HP is NICE, but no warranty.

I am not racing my GT500, but wouldn't want a Vette or Viper to pull in front of me from a stop.

Comments please.

LuisA

:blink:

OK, I have been reading this board and will probably send my GT500 to SAI for a SS upgrade. My question is, which of the two? At 600 HP you have full warranty, but 725 HP is NICE, but no warranty.

I am not racing my GT500, but wouldn't want a Vette or Viper to pull in front of me from a stop.

Comments please.

LuisA

725HP, was never a question. i sold one to a fellow and he was thinking 600 because of warranty. after we talked he went witht the MONSTER package. i have sold 4 cars that are going to be SS and they all are 725 cars, but if you arent much of a gambler take the 600HP. not me!!!

michael morris

I would go 600hp until warranty is out, then I would have it re-tuned to 725hp.

robin

Don't forget that the 725 package comes with the KB supercharger, as well as a 1-piece driveshaft. So just re-tuning won't give you the 725SS package, if that matters to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Correct! 600HP and 725HP have different components. However, the KB blower can be set up to deliver only 11.5PSI of boos and around 620HP.......I would like to know if SAI would set up the 725HP SS package at only 620HP AND be warranted.....if they did, I would go down that route.

I am still waiting for answers to this and other questions before I pick which one to do.

LuisA

725 is the only answer. I have a convertible so I'm limited. I trying to trade my 'vert in for a hardtop before I send it to Shelby.

Lrock

good luck with the trade and welcome to the forum. my car left the plant today headed to LV. still have to wait for them to start the SS project, but she is on her way...

michael morris

Don't forget that the 725 package comes with the KB supercharger, as well as a 1-piece driveshaft. So just re-tuning won't give you the 725SS package, if that matters to you.

I haven't been keeping up on the Super Snake updates. I inferred from the original announcement that tuning was the only difference between the two packages. As a component list was developed, that obviously is not the case. Thanks for the clarification.

robin

• 4 weeks later...

Comments please.

LuisA

Against a C6 Vette, you will probably have no problem. Against a Z06 or a Viper I think your still gonna get a view of their tail lights. Espeacially the new Viper and the new ZR1.

At 725 the power is there but the dam weight is gonna kill the launch. 3900lbs for the SS, 3350 for the Viper, and 3200 for the Vette. That is quite a bit of extra weight to move.

• 3 weeks later...

Against a C6 Vette, you will probably have no problem. Against a Z06 or a Viper I think your still gonna get a view of their tail lights. Espeacially the new Viper and the new ZR1.

At 725 the power is there but the dam weight is gonna kill the launch. 3900lbs for the SS, 3350 for the Viper, and 3200 for the Vette. That is quite a bit of extra weight to move.

hmmm I can't buy that. The SS has 225 more horsepower than the Vette. The old '89 mustangs had that much horsepower TOTAL so I would think that much more horsepower could handle the 700 pound weight difference.

hmmm I can't buy that. The SS has 225 more horsepower than the Vette. The old '89 mustangs had that much horsepower TOTAL so I would think that much more horsepower could handle the 700 pound weight difference.

SuperSnake with 725 hp = approximately 645 rwhp. 645rwhp/4000lbs = .161 ratio

Dodge Viper with 600 hp = approximately 544rwhp. 544rwhp/3350lbs = .162 ratio

Corvette ZR1 with 620 hp = approximately 552rwhp. 552rwhp/3300lbs = .167 ratio

So yeah a Supersnake with maxed out power can hang with both a Viper and a ZR1 but is still behind both in power to weight ratio. And that is against a stock 2008 Viper and a Stock ZR1.

Still that is impressive to be able to hang with two supercars.

• 2 weeks later...
SuperSnake with 725 hp = approximately 645 rwhp. 645rwhp/4000lbs = .161 ratio

Dodge Viper with 600 hp = approximately 544rwhp. 544rwhp/3350lbs = .162 ratio

Corvette ZR1 with 620 hp = approximately 552rwhp. 552rwhp/3300lbs = .167 ratio

So yeah a Supersnake with maxed out power can hang with both a Viper and a ZR1 but is still behind both in power to weight ratio. And that is against a stock 2008 Viper and a Stock ZR1.

Still that is impressive to be able to hang with two supercars.

Do not forget the ZR1 has the 335 tires and that is some serious rubber. The Super Snake needs wider tires.

Do not forget the ZR1 has the 335 tires and that is some serious rubber. The Super Snake needs wider tires.

This is key. Remember the recent magazine write-up that said even at 600hp, there were serious traction issues with the SS. Doesn't matter how much power you have if you can't connect it to the pavement.

I'm going to the 725hp. There was never any question in my mind. I void just about every warranty I have on everything anyways so it wasn't even a consideration for me. If I blow the engine, I'll have it rebuilt. It's just that simple to me.

I'm going to the 725hp. There was never any question in my mind. I void just about every warranty I have on everything anyways so it wasn't even a consideration for me. If I blow the engine, I'll have it rebuilt. It's just that simple to me.

You have to remember that not everyone can afford to rebuild their engines. I know that I can't. If I blow an engine then my car is down for a long time.

I'm still up in the air on which package I'm going with. I'm considering the TVS pacakage very strongly at this point for many reasons including the issues some have had recently with the KB set-ups. I can keep my warranty for another year and still have upgrade options in the future. Don't think it gets much better then that.

You have to remember that not everyone can afford to rebuild their engines. I know that I can't. If I blow an engine then my car is down for a long time.

I'm still up in the air on which package I'm going with. I'm considering the TVS pacakage very strongly at this point for many reasons including the issues some have had recently with the KB set-ups. I can keep my warranty for another year and still have upgrade options in the future. Don't think it gets much better then that.

You got that right!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might be wrong on this and hope someone out there can correct me but I'm assuming you paid for an extended warrent because by the time you get it SS you only have about 1 yr left on the orginial warrent if you bought in 07. Therefore it became a no brainer for me, 725 all the way. :happy feet: Just my 2cents.

I might be wrong on this and hope someone out there can correct me but I'm assuming you paid for an extended warrent because by the time you get it SS you only have about 1 yr left on the orginial warrent if you bought in 07. Therefore it became a no brainer for me, 725 all the way. :happy feet: Just my 2cents.

No extended warranty for me. You now have a 5 year powertrain warranty from Ford. Even if it's the standard 3 year/36,000 mile warranty I would still have over 2 years on that before it would be up after getting the SS done.

I think for me it comes down to which supercharger i would rather have. I think that i would rather have the TVS. with the power that the tuners are getting out of them now it doesn't make sense to go with the KB. At the same time i don't want to be seen as having the "baby" SS warranty or not i think it comes to which supercharger is better and which car will stand the test of time. Im not really interested in a car that has 725HP and breaks in 5 years.

This decision is hard.

When I got my 08 GT 500 the Ford dealer told me that they weren't even offering an extended warranty on the GT 500's anymore. Factory warranty and that's it. I'm changing just about everything on it anyways, so the warranty is pretty much a moot point.

As stated in an earlier thread, the warranty for any of the parts installed by SAI wll most likely be the manufacturer's warrranty only, which is most likely 12 months and on the parts only! I have not heard if they have worked a warranty on the KB unit, but warrany or no warranty, if you blow your engine with either unit, at best you would only be getting the supercharger parts covered. It will be near impossible to get Ford to cover anything else with these mods.

Given that we are practically on our own with either choice anyway, I wonder why the KB unit doesn't have a warranty like the Ford Racing unit. Does this mean they can't stand behind it? Is it inferior mechanicallly and won't last? KB warranties units it sells aftermarket for other cars. Why not this unit? It makes me really wonder if we might be paying alot more to get something not really engineered enough to be a 'stand behind it' product. Pay more, break sooner?

No warranty by a company that normally warranties its products is scary. Is the warranty issue Shelby's or KB's??

By the way, how do you think the 2 different versions will really drive? It will hard to get the wheels to lock up anyway, so the differnece at the track will likely be small. But what about daily driving in traffic?

As stated in an earlier thread, the warranty for any of the parts installed by SAI wll most likely be the manufacturer's warrranty only, which is most likely 12 months and on the parts only! I have not heard if they have worked a warranty on the KB unit, but warrany or no warranty, if you blow your engine with either unit, at best you would only be getting the supercharger parts covered. It will be near impossible to get Ford to cover anything else with these mods.

Given that we are practically on our own with either choice anyway, I wonder why the KB unit doesn't have a warranty like the Ford Racing unit. Does this mean they can't stand behind it? Is it inferior mechanicallly and won't last? KB warranties units it sells aftermarket for other cars. Why not this unit? It makes me really wonder if we might be paying alot more to get something not really engineered enough to be a 'stand behind it' product. Pay more, break sooner?

No warranty by a company that normally warranties its products is scary. Is the warranty issue Shelby's or KB's??

By the way, how do you think the 2 different versions will really drive? It will hard to get the wheels to lock up anyway, so the differnece at the track will likely be small. But what about daily driving in traffic?

If you look at the Dec 2007 issue of Road &Track road test of the SS it seems that the performance differences between the stock GT500 and the SS are very slight. I would believe the differences between the 600 and 700+ version will also be minimal. Nevertheless I'm still strongly considering the 700+ version

If you look at the Dec 2007 issue of Road &Track road test of the SS it seems that the performance differences between the stock GT500 and the SS are very slight. I would believe the differences between the 600 and 700+ version will also be minimal. Nevertheless I'm still strongly considering the 700+ version

Me as well, but do you think daily driving will be any different? And doesn't it bother you that they don't stand behind it? I want it to last?!?!?

Me as well, but do you think daily driving will be any different? And doesn't it bother you that they don't stand behind it? I want it to last?!?!?

I agree with what you say!

When I bought my car I also got the extended warranty, But at that time I didn't know about the SS package. When it became available I thought long and hard about it and which H.P. to go with. I think I would really regret it if I didn't get the most H.P.available even though it kills me that my extended warranty is not going to be worth s***. What I'm also thinking about is all this transmission and clutch crap we are reading about. Right now my clutch is fine but if it goes after the conversion am I going to have to eat it myself. Oh what we do for bragging rights and H.P.

Are you going to Tasca or Las Vegas

Wouldn’t the FRPP pushed to a higher hp level have a high heat-soak than the KB? And wouldn’t the high heat-soak rob HP. Possible cause premature engine failures of sorts, too boot?

If that is true, then the KB would be the better all round performer of the two. That why I’d rather have the KB with a 600hp tune if that were possible.

Someone chim in and correct me if I am wrong.

Good questions regarding parts/package warranties, as far as the factory warranty, it’s only as good as the dealer you take your car to. In my area, dealers go out of there way not to fix cars under warranty.

I’m getting the 600 package for two reasons; 1, I have a vert. 2. I didn’t by the car to take it to the track on a regular bases. I am considering getting a coup and going for a 700+ package, But I wouldn’t drive it as much on the street as the 600 package. 700+hp in stop and go traffic can be hard on a car like that; I would use it more for shows, rallies, drag strip and meeting with the boys and showing off, at a safe location.

Not to make any insinuation or judgments, I believe people that by stock GT500 can handle the cars safely or they wouldn’t buy them, but I’d think driving skill should be factored in with 700+hp for street driving. At 500+hp a car could easily get away from the average driver.

Regardless of what Road & Track says, you cannot tell me there is only a small difference between 500 and 600hp. That’s a decent jump in power. I have to think they were referring to how the car handled, and, that its still fairly docile under say 1500-2000rpm as long as you don’t jump on it. 3rd gear is still giddy-up-a-go gear, that you can push up into the 100mph+ range before shifting and taking off like a rocket.

I'd took it as SAI did a good job on putting a package together that had more power without killing the drivability of the car as a compairison.

When you start pushing 650+RWHP I'd think you’re starting to push the limit of street sensibility. Just my 2cents.

Wouldn’t the FRPP pushed to a higher hp level have a high heat-soak than the KB? And wouldn’t the high heat-soak rob HP. Possible cause premature engine failures of sorts, too boot?

If that is true, then the KB would be the better all round performer of the two. That why I’d rather have the KB with a 600hp tune if that were possible.

Someone chim in and correct me if I am wrong.

Good questions regarding parts/package warranties, as far as the factory warranty, it’s only as good as the dealer you take your car to. In my area, dealers go out of there way not to fix cars under warranty.

I’m getting the 600 package for two reasons; 1, I have a vert. 2. I didn’t by the car to take it to the track on a regular bases. I am considering getting a coup and going for a 700+ package, But I wouldn’t drive it as much on the street as the 600 package. 700+hp in stop and go traffic can be hard on a car like that; I would use it more for shows, rallies, drag strip and meeting with the boys and showing off, at a safe location.

Not to make any insinuation or judgments, I believe people that by stock GT500 can handle the cars safely or they wouldn’t buy them, but I’d think driving skill should be factored in with 700+hp for street driving. At 500+hp a car could easily get away from the average driver.

Regardless of what Road & Track says, you cannot tell me there is only a small difference between 500 and 600hp. That’s a decent jump in power. I have to think they were referring to how the car handled, and, that its still fairly docile under say 1500-2000rpm as long as you don’t jump on it. 3rd gear is still giddy-up-a-go gear, that you can push up into the 100mph+ range before shifting and taking off like a rocket.

I'd took it as SAI did a good job on putting a package together that had more power without killing the drivability of the car as a compairison.

When you start pushing 650+RWHP I'd think you’re starting to push the limit of street sensibility. Just my 2cents.

I thought the same thing about the difference in HP. Read the article and look at the numbers .It seems that in the SS{600hp} the torque comes on so quickly that the small amount of slip dialed into the stock traction control system is amplified causing excessive wheelspin. The car really needs a stickier tire. The stock tires really limit the full potential of the hp increase. This was in the 600 hp version think about what it would be with 700+hp. I think to really experience the hp advantage to its full potential a new set of rubber is necessary.

Stock GT500 Super Snake

0-60=4.6sec 0-60=4.4sec Both tests were done by R&T

0-100=9.9sec 0-100=9.1sec

1/4 mile 12.8/113 1/4 mile 12.5 /119

Archived