TEAM SHELBY FORUM

More questions on stripes

GT-H 281

My car is a southern California car, and it has quite faded stripes (not unlike a lot of other cars it sounds!) I was wondering if anyone has tried a product like Colorback (or similar) to try to remove the oxidation and etched water marks to revive the original lustre of their stripes. I am kinda afraid to try anything in case it truns out badly...any insights appreciated!

My car is a southern California car, and it has quite faded stripes (not unlike a lot of other cars it sounds!) I was wondering if anyone has tried a product like Colorback (or similar) to try to remove the oxidation and etched water marks to revive the original lustre of their stripes. I am kinda afraid to try anything in case it truns out badly...any insights appreciated!

THE STRIPES WILL NEVER COME BACK, THEY ARE ONLY DESIGNED TO LAST A FEW YEARS. THEY WILL FADE, PEEL, SCRATCH EASILY, AND CRACK. NOT EVEN WAX WILL PROTECT THEM.

THE STRIPES WILL NEVER COME BACK, THEY ARE ONLY DESIGNED TO LAST A FEW YEARS. THEY WILL FADE, PEEL, SCRATCH EASILY, AND CRACK. NOT EVEN WAX WILL PROTECT THEM.

I used a mild polishing compound gently on my stripes and then did 1 coat of turtle wax ice over them.they will not last if these are used for daily drivers.constant washing will tear the heck out of them quikly.I am planning on washing once a year and using waterless products the rest of the time.treat these cars just as if they are 1966 GT 350-H models if you want to have a 100% origonal car 20 years from now.

Hey Zanman, did you paint your stripes on? We need pics please.

YES, I PAINTED ON THE STRIPES, AND I CLEARED THE LOWER STRIPES, LOOKS EXCELLENT. I AM GETTING THE SUPERCHARGER INSTALLED RIGHT NOW, I WILL GET SOME PICS IN A FEW WEEKS, I AM SENDING THE CAR TO A DYNO SHOP NEXT FOR PERFECT TUNING.

Guest backdraft1

Stripes;

When I purchased car 465 someone had placed their foot on the front and rear bumper stripe. So I wanted to replace the stripe. As a result here is what I can say for sure. [1] I had my Ford dealer order the stripes from Shelby. To get them they had to provide a CSM number along with the VIN#. We received them in about two weeks or less in a Shelby box. [2] To replace the front strip we needed to remove the front grill. Use care here as all of the clips that hold the part in are plastic parts, and removal without breaking one is slow. [3] The stripes for the front come in two pieces and need to be "wet installed". I learned this the hard way when I took the car to a body shop who said they could replace them while I watched, and not only did they have a hard time removing the old but the new stripe had air bubles and strech marks in the strip when applied dry , and after 5 hours I said lets stop.

I then had to order a second set, and my Ford dealer put me intouch with another body shop who said they could do it, and wanted to see the car. But declined when I got there. Finally I was referred to a guy who came to my home and he used a heat gun to remove the old stripes. A special spray product purchased commercially (not soap and water), and a unique plastic tool that had a felt tip to avoid damaging the stripes. He asked me not to wash or drive the car for a few days, which I did, and to reinstall the front grill I placed the unit in water with a temperature of around 150 degrees and left it to soak for 20 minutes. then I went directly to the front protected the strip with card board and installed the grill no problems and no damage. The hot water makes the parts more flexible and less likely to break on the reinstall.

I spoke to the guy who did the final install of the stripes (cost $125.00 U.S.) about the top and hood if I wanted to make the switch, which I do not need to do, and he said it would not be a problem to complete.

Hope this information helps.

Sincerely

Backdraft1

Archived