TEAM SHELBY FORUM

BatteryTender

Reino

Ive been looking at the batterytenders at www.batterytender.com and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? I was looking at them earlier in the summer thinking it would be a good product for my bike and now I have the Shelby and wont be using it much if any this winter.

Pros or Cons would be much appreciated as I know very little about batteries.

Thanks

I'm planning on buying one. From what I have found, they make a quality product. When a battery goes dead, all the electrolyte's go back to the plates in the battery. That leaves just water in the cells. The water can freeze and crack the plates or battery it's self. That's what usually kills a battery while in storage. (at least in cold areas.)

Ive been looking at the batterytenders at www.batterytender.com and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? I was looking at them earlier in the summer thinking it would be a good product for my bike and now I have the Shelby and wont be using it much if any this winter.

Pros or Cons would be much appreciated as I know very little about batteries.

Thanks

Don't waste your money on the solar powered one but the standard battery tenders are good.

$59.95?,....Seems like a good investment to insure "a start when you ask for it" while or after sitting for the Winter.

The mechanic here at my shop swears by them. Good enough for me.

What model is suggested for our cars? Jim

I printed the Battery Tender Plus @ $59.95 and my guy says: "Yep, thats the one I have installed".

Make sure you get it for 12v.

EDIT: THE JR is only $39.95, I dont know if it is good for the car, my guy never used that one. Dont know if its big enough for a car, its the smallest one they sell, was thinking it might be for a snowmobile, etc

You might want to make further inquiries and maybe save another $20.00.

Alot of us will have them covered and so forth, so just starting it and letting it run isnt an option, and with fumes in the garage will mean keeping the door open, even then you get significant "blow back" of fumes into the house.....plus the S197 has a history of not holding its charge when left sitting, sometimes for as little as a week and the underlying cause is not easy to locate........so actually no, its not just as easy. In fact considerabily more of a hassel. But thanks.

Sorry its 5 oclock............outta here! ;)

If the weather is bad for an extended period of time and you can't drive it, just start it up in the garage once a week and let it idle for 15 minutes or so, or until it comes up to normal operating temp. Tends the battery just fine and circulates some oil. That's what i have always done.

Funny I was always told that it is bad to let it run for a short period of time becuase the heat lets condensation build up in the motor and if It doesn't get a good run out on the road, the motor doesn't have enough time to dry out the condensation. I was told this by a friend of mine who has been a mechanic for years on both cars and bikes.

I always use a battery tender on my bikes and cars instead of going in and letting them run for a while.

:)

Alot of us will have them covered and so forth, so just starting it and letting it run isnt an option, and with fumes in the garage will mean keeping the door open, even then you get significant "blow back" of fumes into the house.....plus the S197 has a history of not holding its charge when left sitting, sometimes for as little as a week and the underlying cause is not easy to locate........so actually no, its not just as easy. In fact considerabily more of a hassel. But thanks.

Sorry its 5 oclock............outta here! ;)

I don't get "blowback" my house must be facing the right way. :D

Last summer we went on vacation for two weeks and took my pickup. My wifes 06 GT set in the garage the whole time and fired right up when we got home.

Once again, I'm about to be the odd-ball in this discussion. Oh, well...

I've gone without nothing at all, and I've tried the "recommended" big buck stuff. After disappointing results from both camps, I applied my own "$$money$$" factor.

So, I went to my LAPS and bought a 12.99 12V trickle charger, which I have used iover the past four "winter" years here in Chicago. No problems, no complaints, just have to remember to connect it when the forecast predicts "zero, or, lower". I have, and it works just fine.

Not everything SGT has to be expensive, or, tailored to "our cars".

It just has to work.

Funny I was always told that it is bad to let it run for a short period of time becuase the heat lets condensation build up in the motor and if It doesn't get a good run out on the road, the motor doesn't have enough time to dry out the condensation. I was told this by a friend of mine who has been a mechanic for years on both cars and bikes.

I always use a battery tender on my bikes and cars instead of going in and letting them run for a while.

:)

Yep, i' have heard that also. I asked my brother-in-law about that some years ago. He was a mechanic at our local Ford dealer for 25 years. He told me to let it run for 15 or 20 minutes, then try and lay my hand on the engine and tell him it wasn't getting hot enough. I said no thanks, i will take your word for it. He told me if i let it sit for a couple of months, everything ends up in the pan and it's a real dry start up, so he would rather lubricate the engine periodically. I consider him a very good mechanic and have helped him put some bada$$ engines together, and they have lasted with abuse, but it is his OPINION.

Don't get me wrong, i am not trying to argue just bringing up the pros and cons to both ways.

You get a lot of varied opinions from people who twist wrenches for a living and all you can do is use your best judgment. I have done it this way for 30 + years in the winter, and never had a dimes worth of trouble from any engines old or new because of it.

Guess i ought to bug out of this thread before you guys start thinking i am trying to be too confrontational. ;)

Yep, i' have heard that also. I asked my brother-in-law about that some years ago. He was a mechanic at our local Ford dealer for 25 years. He told me to let it run for 15 or 20 minutes, then try and lay my hand on the engine and tell him it wasn't getting hot enough. I said no thanks, i will take your word for it. He told me if i let it sit for a couple of months, everything ends up in the pan and it's a real dry start up, so he would rather lubricate the engine periodically. I consider him a very good mechanic and have helped him put some bada$$ engines together, and they have lasted with abuse, but it is his OPINION.

Don't get me wrong, i am not trying to argue just bringing up the pros and cons to both ways.

You get a lot of varied opinions from people who twist wrenches for a living and all you can do is use your best judgment. I have done it this way for 30 + years in the winter, and never had a dimes worth of trouble from any engines old or new because of it.

Guess i ought to bug out of this thread before you guys start thinking i am trying to be too confrontational. ;)

Confrontational?

NAH. You make a good point about keeping everything lubricated.

Maybe there are multiple answers here. ;)

-Tim-

We use the battery tender jr. on the bikes here at the dealership, they're great. I use the same one on my bikes, Jeep, and boat, and it works great.

Ducati,

So the Junior is good/big enough for the car......great news.

Stl.......I took your first post as an offhanded comment and responded rather sharply, I apologize, yesterday was a crappy day, sometimes my tongue is as wicked as my shelby, :D

...dont bug out, everyone's opinion counts here.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in a Battery Tender I found a cheaper place to get them. A local store called BatteryMart and they sell them on their website for 78 bucks, and the MSRP is 119 and change, The link to Battery Mart is here if your interested.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-tende...charger-2b.html

I should have added that price is for the 2 bank charger. I will be using it for the SGT as well as my bike. The prices for the others are either the same or comparable. This is a local store and try to buy things local.

Archived