TEAM SHELBY FORUM

AFBlue Trip Notes

North Shelby_merged

Pix to come tomorrow night.

Got there at around 0930am. Went into museum and looked around, heard a fellow named Dean talking with AdrienneP (SAI-Adrienne...gives the daily tours). Dean had emailed me a couple of days ago saying he would be there to take delivery of his car. I introduced myself to Dean and AdrienneP (we also had exchanged emails prior to my visit). I asked if SAI-John or SAI-Bud were around and Adrienne said she would check. Dean recommended that I get some shots of the sea of blue 08 mustangs across the street before the tour so I did.

Drove across the street and proceeded to get about 10 shots of this massive parking lot full of blue coupes and convertibles. Some with stripes, some without.

Went back to the museum. Adrienne said John was looking for me. About 5 mins later we met. Great guy. I asked about gears (whether SAI could do them) and he said not until the Spring. I asked if I could get 18" razors installed instead of 20", he said all he had to do was order them (still debating that one). I mentioned that I wanted to get the silver trim around the quarter windows also installed at the mod shop (in addition to the lower grille and fogs).

I then whipped out a list of questions that a fellow member sent me to ask and proceeded to grill John on them. I've posted the answers to all these in the "how many 07 SGTs" thread. John was very willing to answer all my questions.

I then spent a bunch of money in the gift shop and we started the tour at 10:30am. Saw the very first Shelby Cobra roadster (CS was offered $23million for it but turned it down), and a SuperSnake among others. Adrienne does a great job of giving the tour of the cars in the museum.

We then went into the SGT and Cobra assembly area (no pix allowed). There she explained how the Cobras were assembled, costs, and owner options. I was in the back of the crowd for this, but when we proceeded to the SGT part of the tour, I was at the very front.

Adrienne explained the process of how SGTs are assembled (you can see them in the background being worked on). 08 SGTs were constantly coming in and out of this area while she was talking (they have a very nice exhaust note). I was in heaven.

Once this part of the tour was over, we signed our names on the wall (a tradition there).

The public tour was now over. The 3 owners that were taking delivery of their cars: Dave from IL, Dean from Denver (and his son), and husband and wife from Phoenix (sorry I forgot their names), and my wife and I stayed behind in the SGT assembly area. This was a nice surprise. They let my wife and I get the tour of the SGT assembly area with the new owners (actually able to go beyond the roped off area that the public tour stays behind). Saw workers installing hood scoops, saw all the parts (auto gears), exhaust, intakes, suspension etc, stacked up, ready for use. Peeked in one car to see what its CSM# was (was curious how high they were now) It was #793. Saw the old mod lifts (4 of them that are now used to also convert SGTs with the other 15 lifts). I really can't remember all the details here because I was kinda in a daze.

Then the owners signed another part of the wall reserved for museum delivery folks. It was here that I met SAI-Bud (also very nice fellow)

Realize that these owners haven't seen there completed cars yet. There is a set of glass doors with curtains on them. On the other side is their completed cars. The momement has now arrived for these new owners. The doors open and there are their 3 Shelby GT/SCs sitting there. 2 white and 1 black. All with Paxton superchargers and lower grills with fog lights. 2 cars (Dean's and Dave's) have kept their factory wheels, while the other white car has 20" silver razors with the baer racing brakes. They all looked like kids at Christmas. They got some other goodies in their cars, but I don't want to ruin that surprise for future museum tour owners). They got the SAI folks to sign their trunks (inside lid) and we took some pictures and chatted for a while. It's now about 1230pm. I asked SAI-John one more time if they had any luck locating my car or another member's car and he said they weren't able to. I was a little disappointed at not seeing my car, but that paled in comparison to the whole experience.

I was worried my wife would be bored but she really enjoyed herself and has a better appreciation/understanding of my obsession.

I can't say that before the tour I was a fanatical Carroll Shelby fan, but after the tour, I had a much better understanding of all he had accomplished in his life, and I did leave being a much bigger fan than when I arrived.

I'm really excited to be part of this Team Shelby family.

There is one last thing. John and Bud both informed me that certain members on here wanted to pay for my modifications as a way of showing their support for the troops. I immediately said I wanted a supercharger, baer brakes, and every other option available from the mod shop. I easily spent $20K. Thanks guys :D.

No seriously, I didn't know what to do at first, I was very touched by this offer and didn't want to offend. John said to think about it and so I did. I decided that I couldn't accept it. But I do want to thank these folks for their ernest desire to want to support their US service members. Just telling every service member you see "thanks for your service" is payment enough. I really do appreciate the thought. :)

... I then whipped out a list of questions that a fellow member sent me to ask and proceeded to grill John on them. I've posted the answers to all these in the "how many 07 SGTs" thread. John was very willing to answer all my questions.

... I asked SAI-John one more time if they had any luck locating my car or another member's car and he said they weren't able to.

Thanks for asking and thanks for looking. It sounds like you had a really cool tour!

As a former Marine, I know how much it means to be appreciated for the difficult duties you perform. Thanks for your selfless service. (definitely not in it for the money! lol)

I am going down to Vegas next week to visit my Mom and Dad. I will go to the museum and hope to have a good time such as yours.

Dan

Great photos, thanks. Now I'm down to my final 4 days, and probably won't get any sleep.

On another note, big thanks to Michael Morris. My truck got broken into last night, and my briefcase was stolen. Inside was all my paperwork/documentation of the vehicle purchase to get the car registered so I can drive it home from SAI Friday. Michael is overnighting duplicates of everything to me so I can still get the car home this week. Nothing but good things to say about him and the way he does business.

Ok here's a link to a photobucket of my Las Vegas trip. 38 pix

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee247/afblue01/

Here's one of me, AdrienneP, Bud, and John

SAI-Mark.jpg

Mark, Thanks for the pics. Looks like you and the wifey had a good time. After seeing the sea of blue, knowing that your car is in that mix, I'm sure you're stoked. I'm truly hoping that you can get that SC. You won't regret it. Pinch your pennies and keep selling those badges on E-Bay :lol: . Looks like your wife will also enjoy the new baby of the family.

Take care and good luck,

Dave

Wow, those pictures were great! For those of us who wanted to go but did not make out to SAI, that allowed us to get an idea what it is like. I am curious, when they are looking for a certain VIN, how do they find it? It's not like the parking lot is numbered with assigned spaces. I guess they just hold the key fob up high and start walking around punching the alarm button? Nevertheless, looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing. Great pics.

One more thing, Mark. In the background of your picture in this topic, there is a Ford Ranger and a Ford Van. Hmm...concept Shelbys ahead?

Dude! You can see my car! Seventh row down and second from the right!

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee247/a...erts4Dig-it.jpg

No no, your other right! Sweet! I KNOW that one's mine!

J/k. Seriously though, Mark thank you very much!

Kevin

i think i saw it Kevin. its the BLUE one with the black top

michael morris

Actually Kevin,

If you want to see a picture of our cars:

See the car hauler in the upper left of this picture? My car is the 3rd coupe on the top and your vert is the one behind it.

I hereby declare that car mine from this moment forward :D

Hey since we will never know for sure, these two will do just fine right ;)

Isthatmineonthecarrierinfront.jpg

A zoomed in shot for you.

Zoom-in.jpg

Actually Kevin,

If you want to see a picture of our cars:

See the car hauler in the upper left of this picture? My car is the 3rd coupe on the top and your vert is the one behind it.

I hereby declare that car mine from this moment forward :D

Hey since we will never know for sure, these two will do just fine right ;)

Isthatmineonthecarrierinfront.jpg

A zoomed in shot for you.

Zoom-in.jpg

Good call brother!

This is totally unscientific but from the sea of blue pixs it looks like there is slightly more verts than coupes. Maybe like a 55/45 split.

I read somewhere that out of 2100 08 SGT's, 1400 would be verts. Then the 2100 was increased to 23?? to include the GO cars. But should or could be 2 to 1 on blue verts to coupes.

Then again, the numbers and breakdowns on 07's is like some national secret, so this is just speculation derived from rumor and innuendo. ;)

I read somewhere that out of 2100 08 SGT's, 1400 would be verts. Then the 2100 was increased to 23?? to include the GO cars. But should or could be 2 to 1 on blue verts to coupes.

Then again, the numbers and breakdowns on 07's is like some national secret, so this is just speculation derived from rumor and innuendo. ;)

Think that 1400 # was Ford's prediction. Based on what I saw, it seemed like the ratio of verts to coupes was much less than 2 to 1. More like 6 to 5.

Again just a WAG based on the pix.

Archived