TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why did you choose a Shelby?

jaycub_merged

Wow LuLu terrific story. I dont think terrific is the right word with tumors involved but I hope you understand what I mean. Stories like these is what makes these forums so great. Someone you dont know IRL shares a story like that. Its inspiring.

I didn't choose my Shelby.

"LuLu" chose me.

Much like it's posted here by others, I too, faced a "life-time-turning-point" crisis. Two tumors in my lower abdomen, one had to come out and right now, because it was pressing against (and growing into) my intestines. The second tumor is in my groin and unreachable at this time. I also have a third tumor in my right lung, at the 2nd rib bone. More about this later, after doctors watch it for the next 3 months.

3 months away from retirement from my 30+ year professional LEO career, I was disappointed by this sudden turn in my health. While attending to this new concern, I tried to brighten my forecast with hopes of better days ahead, so, I went car shopping.

My car at this time, was a very clean and quick '05 Dodge Neon SXT which I liked it a lot. But...Now I want to go back again. Back into my personal history to refresh my memories of '60s muscle cars.

I've had lots of fast and quick Detroit iron over the years, ran a big-block Camaro into 9s before I surrendered my NHRA license after failing their physical. Yet, the '60s were calling me and the '08 Mustang GT was as close as I was going to get to fast, in a Detroit production line automobile.

So be it. I loved the base retro look and I knew there were countless accessories and aftermarket products that would enable me to tailor a Mustang GT to exactly what I wanted it to be. I shopped for a 2008 MGT in black with all the bells and whistles and I wanted to shift gears one more time. No. Make this a "have too", a "must". I must shift gears one more time.

Once the '08 MGTs hit local dealers, I visited every FMC dealership within a days drive from my home, looking for just the right MGT with a stick. Albeit, finding a stick shift in early '08 stock was disappointing and all I could do was dream. Dream how I would mod my MGT 5 speed stick once I found it.

I ended up 90 miles south of home and chatting about my dreams with the sales manager of an FMC dealership in farm country. He offered me several good deals, but only one was a stick. A left-over '06 GT in red. He said "I sell trucks in all sizes, and a lot of farm equipment too. I don't sell sports cars, sorry I can't help you." "I want a black Mustang GT with a stick, thank you for your time".

As I tried to drive out of the dealership, their driveway became blocked by a transport truck full of incoming inventory. Moments later, the sales manager (at least five years my senior and double my overweight) came running at me in a full blown jog. He banged on my window and spoke in elevated/heated tones, as if to say "call 911!". He offered me 20 bucks USC and said "go have lunch somewhere 'round here, and come back in an hour, please!" I refused his money, but went to lunch. I was hungry anyway.

When I returned, the sales manager took me back to where "Lulu" waited. And she waited impatiently as three porters unwrapped her. Obvious to me then, LuLu would be a real bitch. Demanding. Constant attention. Fickle, frickle, what-ever, I could hear her left front 235/50/18 BFG tapping on the body shop floor, and I knew I was undertaking and tending to, a high strung boss.

The sales manager handed me Lulu's keys and asked me (with a smile in his eyes) "do me a favor, Mac? Take her around front?" "Yeah, sure, no problem" I said, but I thought "this bitch thinks she' the high horse anyway, I'll show her..."

As I pointed LuLu out of the body shop and down the now clear and open driveway, I realized (as Lulu did) that we were only 5 miles east of I-57. I didn't drive Lulu "around front", but pointed her towards I-57 and she took me for a ride.

Bourbonnaias' access to I-57 are two long on-ramps, each 3/4 of a mile (or longer) long. You're either heading up (north), or, down (south). I headed up, and in this 3/4 of a mile on ramp I found 130+ MPH., with a very retro '60s Hurst "Competition-Plus" shifter in my right hand, white "cue ball" knob and all.

I ran the tank dry, and stopped to refill LuLu for my ride home before I returned to Court Street Ford to sign off on everything. Jeeze, it's like buying real estate these days..."Sign here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and (finally!) here. Thanks!"

Court Street Ford took my '05 Neon SXT and 34,001.24 of my cash (in zero percent financing), while LuLu took me home.

I didn't choose LuLu.

She chose me.

<bleep> women always get what they want anyway, right?

BTW, I survived my initial surgery done last Tuesday (10/30/07). One tumor out, two to go. So far, biopsy is negative at this time and my doctors will be peeking at them again in 3 months.

Thanks for listening, y'all be safe.

I am not a very sentimental person BUT this story is absolutely amazing and I loved every minute of it. I will also say that health is everything and if you don't have it you have very little, so get those tumors out of you, if need be and enjoy your LULU as I enjoy my precious one too. Good luck and thanks for the story, I loved it and it inspired me!!

Archived