TEAM SHELBY FORUM

S197 Boss Mustang On The Way

robertlane

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the first article. Please feel free to offer any comments:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/index.php?c...p2_articleid=22

AWESOME !!!! Terrific news Robert, just what I was waiting to hear!! Let's just hope that 5.4L is an all aluminum 4V engine. Good bye GT500, hello BOSS!!!

AWESOME !!!! Terrific news Robert, just what I was waiting to hear!! Let's just hope that 5.4L is an all aluminum 4V engine. Good bye GT500, hello BOSS!!!

Well, depending on far apart these are in production and how far the word spreads, it may put some pricing pressure on the GT500. . .

Well, depending on far apart these are in production and how far the word spreads, it may put some pricing pressure on the GT500. . .

I was actually just thinking of what I was going to purchase. I had been waiting to buy a GT500 but I've been disappointed with recent developments on the Shelby. Now, I've decided to forgo the GT500 and get the Boss!! :)

Yeah - I am really torn - DAMN YOU FORD! I really, really want both. I'm just going to h have to wait and see when more details on the Boss develop. Can't wait too long though.

Well, I wish I could AFFORD both...unfortunately, I have to chose. For me, I'd prefer the Boss but the GT500 is a VERY close second.

This is great news. I have been a Boss 302 owner for many years now. I have a '70 Boss 302 Special paint car. Light Gray Metallic. Simply a Beautiful car.

Anyway, I hope Ford comes out with a new Boss 302. As a vintage owner, they need to be cautious of how it it will look like and perform. Also, would be good to have it raced in a series which ads to the historical significance. The Cammer car is a great start , I would reccomend it as a design start. The graphics are almost right on on from the Cammer car for the new Boss.

As for features and options I would like to see:

Needs to be a very high revving engine. The Cammer 5.0 I believe will do the trick

5 speed or 6 speed only, no automatics

Colors as available in '70: Grabber, and standards (please also include Silver! With black stripes, cant beat the look)

Sport slats and rear spoiler availablity

Fold down rear seat

Updated Magnum style wheels

Special road racing suspension. Lower 1-2 in. than the standard Mustang.

Lots of unigue parts like the SVO, SVT, etc's of the past.

I will place an order for one the minute it is available. Thanks to Ford. I certainly hope this comes to fruition!

-Dave

Here's the first article. Please feel free to offer any comments:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/index.php?c...p2_articleid=22

OK, what am I missing here? Why is everyone so eager to jump off the GT500 wagon and onto the Boss wagon? Why is it you all think the Boss will be so much "better" ? I never owned a Boss, so maybe that's the problem.....

OK, what am I missing here? Why is everyone so eager to jump off the GT500 wagon and onto the Boss wagon? Why is it you all think the Boss will be so much "better" ? I never owned a Boss, so maybe that's the problem.....

I believe that many people want a car today that not only has a lot of power but is also light and nimble with great handling .The Boss 302 was originaly designed to do just that. So with today's technolgy the thought of a new Boss 302 has the Ford driving enthusiast very hopeful . The biggest problem with the GT500 is going to be the weight.it needs to loose about 500 to 700 lbs to be taken serious on the track. The lack of IRS might be another but the new Cammer is doing very well on the race track right now. I believe it could do even better with IRS. That said ,the GT500 is still going to be a force to be reckoned with and will be a great car to drive on the streets, hi-ways and back roads of this great country of ours. It will have that old muscle car feel that people like so much with loads of power and torque and better handling than any before it .

I think we are living in the glory days of performance cars with all there is to choose from today!

I'm glad that Ford is making a substantial effort to keep pace with the competition and in some cases they are leading the way.

The biggest problem with the GT500 is going to be the weight.it needs to loose about 500 to 700 lbs to be taken serious on the track.

Gees, they're giving you a cloth convertible top to save weight, isn't that enough? ;)

Living at 5,000 feet I need a blower. I already learned my lesson (bought and sold) with a 2005 GTO that just could not run in this thin air.

Robert, do we have any indication when the Boss might be available? '08 or '09? I was thinking '09 since that is the likely timeframe for the introduction of the Challenger and the new Camaro.

I don't know that. My best guess would be that your 2008/2009 target sounds right on though.

YIKES!!! I go away to Mexico for a week and this is what happens?!?!? Anybody want to send me off again (donations)??? :rolleyes:

All I can say is: I knew it!!! I knew it I knew it I knew it I knew it I KNEW IT!!!!!!! Since this is so far out, mebbe we can convince them to make it 98% GTR. Maybe...

Did you see the clip of the GT-R in the video section? I think those tail-lights are for the California Special.

I'll keep an eye on further Boss developments for sure. This really does split me though: Boss or Shelby - Shelby or Boss - Boss or Shelby - Shelby or Boss. . . .

Okay, basically everything I know abuot Mustangs I have read here. I became a full blown fan thanks to you guys but I never really talked, I just read. But now I'm scared. I been reading about the GT-500 and how good its going to be and all and now I hear the Boss might be brought back and everyone is going crazy. So, the million dollar question is... Which would and should be better between the 500 and Boss? Also, please give me a detailed explination on why. Then include which you would rather buy and why. I am sure I'm not the only one interested in knowing this so I guess I'm doing some people a big favor for asking. :D

Anyways, please be honest, I'm already as much of a Mustang freak as you guys so theres no need to hold back or exaggerate lol. :P

Always reading and learning, FrOzTy.

good questions there frozty. I would also like to know some of those but the reason why i want a Boss over the 500 is the fact that i own a 1970 Boss 302 and would like to have both a new one and a old one i think i would be neat i dont really care what motor as long as they come out with it and its like the old ones in the since that they only produce a few 1000 like the did back in the 1969's and 1970's that way when i become 40 or so I can say i own both of them and maybe by then i would have had a kid and we can restore it like me and my dad are doing to mine.

Ps: im only 15

The original Shelby GT500 and BOSS were very different types of cars. The 1967 and up Shelby name became known for power with creature comforts like power everything, tape decks, automatics, etc. A great cruiser with lots of street power, but I would not attempt to road race one in stock form.

The BOSS 302 was built for TRANSAM road racing. The BOSS 429 was not, it was built only to qualify the engine for NASCAR.

While we know the history of these cars we have no idea what Ford will market the new S-197 models to. If Ford was to try and stick to tradition then the new Shelby will have a more powerful engine output but will also weigh more and keep all the comforts of home while the BOSS would be more stripped down and road race ready.

I pray that the details of the BOSS, MACH 1 and California Special are known before the release of the Shelby so that people can make informed decisions about which car to spend their hard earned money on. But given Fords history they won't.

Oh - I can't really affoard either. Fortunately, my wife owns property in Boca Raton. . .communitive property means that I am entitled to 1/2 of the marital assets (As seen in Liar, Liar).

It was only a matter of time! Very cool. It will never work w/ the 4.6 in it. If they supercharge the 5.4 then it's on par w/ the Shelby, otherwise new Boss owners will be reading the lettering on my rear deck lid as I fly by.........S...H...E...L...B...Y. Hey Robert you can afford both dude...I'm sure you realize what the combined worth of your SCJ & 302 is!! Mucho, mucho dinero!!

Frozty, the "production" major model line-up in the 60's went like so:

-basic 6 cyl Mustang

-Mustang GT (small & big block v8's)

-Mach 1 (small & big block v8's, firmer springs, nicer interior, striping & badges more like a de-contented shelby w/o the body mods)

-Boss (302 & 429, Mach 1 interior, special stripes & badges, firm spring rates, the 302 was the "handler" of the bunch, 429 was for NASCAR).

-Shelby GT350 & GT500(small & big block v8's), high power cars- and later on- with luxury. Firmer springs. In early times, the '350 was the road-racer, in later years it became more "comfortable", and the Boss supplanted it in '69 & '70 as the handler.

Other models of note: the "R" Model, Twister, California Special, GTA, (later editions) Grande, Ghia, LX, SVO, Bullitt & Cobra. There are others, too, but these were the more popular ones. If I forgot any, please chime in.

Hope this helps!

Okay, basically everything I know abuot Mustangs I have read here. I became a full blown fan thanks to you guys but I never really talked, I just read. But now I'm scared. I been reading about the GT-500 and how good its going to be and all and now I hear the Boss might be brought back and everyone is going crazy. So, the million dollar question is... Which would and should be better between the 500 and Boss? Also, please give me a detailed explination on why. Then include which you would rather buy and why. I am sure I'm not the only one interested in knowing this so I guess I'm doing some people a big favor for asking. :D

Anyways, please be honest, I'm already as much of a Mustang freak as you guys so theres no need to hold back or exaggerate lol. :P

Always reading and learning, FrOzTy.

Carroll Shelby's cars of the 60s paved a huge path for performance cars. Henry Ford II and Carroll wanted to develop a brand mustang that would compete w/ Enzo Ferrari. The evolution of the GT350s & GT500s from 1965-1970 were a benchmark for performance which in my opinion started the muscle car wars of the late 60s. Since there were only 5 years of Shelby production there are maybe less than 14k cars in existence w/ the 65 GT350 being the rarest (562 made). Once automotive restrictions on performance cars started in 1970 coupled w/ Ford's direct competition for Shelbys (the Boss & Mach1s) he called it quits. The old Boss mustangs are some of the best Mustangs that gave mean looks and performance. But to own a Shelby would be owning a car that defined american muscle before the late 60s. Even though his input wasn't 100% for the newest GT500 it's still a piece of history.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived