TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hurst Shifter problem - linkage broke

ZepDad

A head's up to the group. While stopped in traffic I reached down to shift into first and my Hearst Shifter was jello. It just flopped around like a limp.....well, a limp noodle. It happened without a sound or warning. My car required a tow to the dealership (an ugly, ugly sight). According to my dealer the linkage came apart. Unfortunately when I picked the car up next day the mechanic was off so I couldn't ask him specifics. Don't know what happened or even how the linkage is held together (cotter pin, spring clip, etc). Probably just a weird event, but you folks who can actually get under your car may want to quickly investigate your linkage for signs of problems. Hurst shifters have been around for years so I'm a little surprised that the connecting mechanism isn't more solid. Hopefully it's not a SAI quality control problem. Just glad I was stopped in traffic and the issue was nothing serious.

i thought i was goin to pee myself because i tried to downshift into 3rd and let off the clutch before i got past neutral. and i felt a GRINNNNNNNNNNNND and i put it back into neutral REALLY QUICK :blink:

everything still feels ok.

i'm sure i'm not the only one who has grinded gears on these. or am i the only one?

i guess i just lost my membership card again :rolleyes:

Before and after, was there any difference in the shifting?

Stump: I do not notice any difference in shifting after the repair. Feels the same. It went from fine to broken without any progressive sloppiness. Strange, but it's Halloween right? I'm still curious how the linkage is connected and what could have gone wrong. Anyone with knowledge of the Hurst Shifter?

Stump: I do not notice any difference in shifting after the repair. Feels the same. It went from fine to broken without any progressive sloppiness. Strange, but it's Halloween right? I'm still curious how the linkage is connected and what could have gone wrong. Anyone with knowledge of the Hurst Shifter?

Let us know the details before the forum Grim Reaper gets here.

Archived