TEAM SHELBY FORUM

After driving my 1st 500 miles I wouldn't touch this car

I received my shelby last week(white with blue stripes) and have put 500 miles on her. I don't drag race anymore so I have no interest in bonzai starts on the street or strip.

This car screams. I am amazed at the difference from my previous cars that were low 13 seconds to upper 13 seconds cars in the 1/4 mile. These cars included a 2002 M-3, 93 RX7 twin turbo, 67 427 vette and a 350Z. The only car that pulled on the top end (over 80)even remotely close to this car was the RX7.

I truly can't tell if any performance difference with 3 on board vs. just myself. Most riders request that I leave off the gas especially winding up in 3rd gear...wow!

Joseph(Ford Geek) has given us all excellant insight in how to obtain additional with relatively little cost. I may follow some of his pointers somewhere down the road. However today I have I got to tell you that I can barely hold on the reins of this car.

For your info, I haven't had the car go into major spinning when I have given it full bore from 15 mph and up and 1st gear on concrete...she just tears. I have deactivated the traction control yet either...just feeling my way thru this awesome car.

I test drove a CTS-V caddy and a 06 vetter roadster both with the 400 HP mtor.. They are fast but this car is a cut above. It pulls so quickly that 100 mph seems instantaneous when passing on a freeway in 3rd, 4th of 5th gear.

It handles very well and it seems to be well tailored to handle the available power. It didn't give me the sense of total control as my m-3 did but it gives a good feeling of total control.

Bottom line.....unless you need to take her to the drags....you will be excited and smiling every time you look at her and take her down the road....I usually have been dissapointed in every car I owned after 1st week about perf/torque.....this shelby will not let you down. I don't think anyone on this site will be dissapointed. It drives as a grandtouring race car should :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: You don't need to at the drags or street racing a vette/viper to have fun....just cruising is a blast. My last mustanfg that I purchased was a 69 mach 1...i'm back in the Ford column

I want to send pics but I can't get my computer to accept the attachments even though it appears that they attached...i will continue to seek help to post pics

I received my shelby last week(white with blue stripes) and have put 500 miles on her. I don't drag race anymore so I have no interest in bonzai starts on the street or strip.

This car screams. I am amazed at the difference from my previous cars that were low 13 seconds to upper 13 seconds cars in the 1/4 mile. These cars included a 2002 M-3, 93 RX7 twin turbo, 67 427 vette and a 350Z. The only car that pulled on the top end (over 80)even remotely close to this car was the RX7.

I truly can't tell if any performance difference with 3 on board vs. just myself. Most riders request that I leave off the gas especially winding up in 3rd gear...wow!

Joseph(Ford Geek) has given us all excellant insight in how to obtain additional with relatively little cost. I may follow some of his pointers somewhere down the road. However today I have I got to tell you that I can barely hold on the reins of this car.

For your info, I haven't had the car go into major spinning when I have given it full bore from 15 mph and up and 1st gear on concrete...she just tears. I have deactivated the traction control yet either...just feeling my way thru this awesome car.

I test drove a CTS-V caddy and a 06 vetter roadster both with the 400 HP mtor.. They are fast but this car is a cut above. It pulls so quickly that 100 mph seems instantaneous when passing on a freeway in 3rd, 4th of 5th gear.

It handles very well and it seems to be well tailored to handle the available power. It didn't give me the sense of total control as my m-3 did but it gives a good feeling of total control.

Bottom line.....unless you need to take her to the drags....you will be excited and smiling every time you look at her and take her down the road....I usually have been dissapointed in every car I owned after 1st week about perf/torque.....this shelby will not let you down. I don't think anyone on this site will be dissapointed. It drives as a grandtouring race car should :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: You don't need to at the drags or street racing a vette/viper to have fun....just cruising is a blast. My last mustanfg that I purchased was a 69 mach 1...i'm back in the Ford column

I want to send pics but I can't get my computer to accept the attachments even though it appears that they attached...i will continue to seek help to post pics

Thanks for the post & keep us posted about your Shelby & mods If any. ENJOY

No I haven't raced but as you realize racing with 12 sec. quarter mile cars on the street is quick and dangerous....don't want to go there....believe me when i tell you just driving this beast will take away the need to win a race to feel like you are king of the hill

I'm pretty much in agreement with you, Tiger. This car is meant to be driven. It's fast, stable, and comfortable. I'm actually not doing too bad for gas mileage either, but it's too soon to predict where it'll stabilize. Mileage is climbing with each tank as engine loosens up. Car's computer calculates it for you and keeps track of gas guzzled. Pump and car computer agree well with amount used when it's time to fill up.

I can foresee two things I'll change before long. Change out the mufflers for something more appropriate but not too loud, and tighten up the suspension / add some drop. The car rides so well that I doubt dropping it an inch in front, maybe inch and a half in the back would change the ride much. I'll see what FRPP brings out. Lowering the visual bulk of the car and CG will help the looks and probably the handling. I do this to most of my cars, so I'm not 'fixing' anything, just personalizing it for my driving style.

....believe me when i tell you just driving this beast will take away the need to win a race to feel like you are king of the hill

I used to love it when I would drive slowly down the road in my old muscle cars. For some reason people never tried to pass me and they always kept a good distance behind.

No I haven't raced but as you realize racing with 12 sec. quarter mile cars on the street is quick and dangerous....don't want to go there....believe me when i tell you just driving this beast will take away the need to win a race to feel like you are king of the hill

Congrats tm2 she sounds like a beast, thats what i like to hear. I have owned two 03 cobras and two 04 cobras they were pretty quick street cars but i know the gt500 is much quicker. I would change the mufflers and install a cold air intake to start off with, this will highten the awsome power the gt500 has to offer. So enjoy your new ride and good luck. :rockon:

03-04=4.6, 07=5.4, both have BLOWERS :shift:

Thanks TM2, great to hear your insights on our baby :shift:

mine should be here mon. 7/31, I hope :banghead:

LOL, I guess I should have refraised my question. I know they both have blowers and they are both quick even bone stock. What I ment to say was what are the differences as far as power delivery, and handling. I know the 03/04 are because I jus sold my 03 KB Cobra but I also heard that the GT500 was a tank. Is this true?

Tony

LOL, I guess I should have refraised my question. I know they both have blowers and they are both quick even bone stock. What I ment to say was what are the differences as far as power delivery, and handling. I know the 03/04 are because I jus sold my 03 KB Cobra but I also heard that the GT500 was a tank. Is this true?

Tony

Como se dice "Google"?

:shrug:

bj

Tony

Background. I've owned three Fox platform Cobras - 93, 01, 04. I've done some autocrossing and Bondurant's driving school. I don't claim to be a professional racer, but I do claim to be pretty good at car control. I REALLY liked my '04 Terminator and wrestled throughout the painful process of converting over two years of driving that car into actually owning a GT500. I went back and forth over whether to keep the '04 and sell my PowerLease Option, or exercise the mythical option and sell the '04. I stopped struggling in the quicksand of all the couldas, shouldas, wouldas, and in May went with the GT500.

Present - 500 miles on the clock on the way into work this morning. I like this car more every time I drive it. It is very different compared to the '04 or its predecessors and takes some reprogramming to get used to it. Philosophically, you have to ask yourself if it is a bad thing if the car is quieter and rides much better than the previous generation. After slinging this car through a few really good twisty corners, it seems very reasonable that a car can handle so well without drama AND have a comfortable ride. The harsher ride of the '04 now seems like more of a compromise than this car's ride does. Judging by the white knuckles and body language of my passenger last night on such a ride, this car is very much quicker than it seems because it does the job without a rough ride or squealing tires. I think he was watching the trees and ditches on the side of the road (and how fast they were going by) more than I was. Damn it felt good. And I am an IRS kind of guy. I know this isn't IRS and I feel the solid axle effects. But it is very good none-the-less.

The car feels bigger, but parked next to my wife's 2001 V-6, it's hard to see any of the dimensions that seem to be much different. I also agree with reviewers that say you generally cannot feel the car's true weight or bad forward weight bias most of the time.

So I think I, and probably many others, have come to accept the Fox as the standard from which to measure the new car. When you actually get some seat time, I think most will begin to realize that the Fox had been pushed about as far as it could be. As good as they are and as much fun as I had in them, I like this car much better. As I get more comfortable in it, that 'better' is itself getting 'better' if that makes sense.

Background. I've owned three Fox platform Cobras - 93, 01, 04. I've done some autocrossing and Bondurant's driving school. I don't claim to be a professional racer, but I do claim to be pretty good at car control. I REALLY liked my '04 Terminator and wrestled throughout the painful process of converting over two years of driving that car into actually owning a GT500. I went back and forth over whether to keep the '04 and sell my PowerLease Option, or exercise the mythical option and sell the '04. I stopped struggling in the quicksand of all the couldas, shouldas, wouldas, and in May went with the GT500.

Present - 500 miles on the clock on the way into work this morning. I like this car more every time I drive it. It is very different compared to the '04 or its predecessors and takes some reprogramming to get used to it. Philosophically, you have to ask yourself if it is a bad thing if the car is quieter and rides much better than the previous generation. After slinging this car through a few really good twisty corners, it seems very reasonable that a car can handle so well without drama AND have a comfortable ride. The harsher ride of the '04 now seems like more of a compromise than this car's ride does. Judging by the white knuckles and body language of my passenger last night on such a ride, this car is very much quicker than it seems because it does the job without a rough ride or squealing tires. I think he was watching the trees and ditches on the side of the road (and how fast they were going by) more than I was. Damn it felt good. And I am an IRS kind of guy. I know this isn't IRS and I feel the solid axle effects. But it is very good none-the-less.

The car feels bigger, but parked next to my wife's 2001 V-6, it's hard to see any of the dimensions that seem to be much different. I also agree with reviewers that say you generally cannot feel the car's true weight or bad forward weight bias most of the time.

So I think I, and probably many others, have come to accept the Fox as the standard from which to measure the new car. When you actually get some seat time, I think most will begin to realize that the Fox had been pushed about as far as it could be. As good as they are and as much fun as I had in them, I like this car much better. As I get more comfortable in it, that 'better' is itself getting 'better' if that makes sense.

great commentary, TC... hope someone in the Charlotte area gets one soon. Bad enough I'm going to have to wait a couple months on my GT500. It would be nice if I can round someone up to take me for a spin in theirs. So far, I have not seen a GT500 in the Charlotte area, but I have seen a Hertz Shelby twice.

[/quot

Thanks for the good info Tiger: How does it sound winding out? I have not been real impressed with it so I am planning on doing a axle-back mod, just my preference though. Also just a quick note to all you weekend warriors; when my wife found out I was getting this car, she bought me a Petty Racing experience package so I wouldn't kill myself doing something stupid, ie blowing the doors off a vette. Now that's a loving wife!!!! :woohoo:

Philosophically, you have to ask yourself if it is a bad thing if the car is quieter and rides much better than the previous generation. I like this car much better. As I get more comfortable in it, that 'better' is itself getting 'better' if that makes sense.

Thank you for confirming the thinking I have had on this for 2 years now. The only reason I would consider this car(I neither want nor need the gingerbread that seems to be attached like remoras to this car) is if it is FUNDEMENTALLY better than my SN-97. Because it is VERY good. You just gave the most poignant review yet of the new car. I will still wonder what we may have given up but you have crystallized my thinking.

Guest evilchris

Thank you for confirming the thinking I have had on this for 2 years now. The only reason I would consider this car(I neither want nor need the gingerbread that seems to be attached like remoras to this car) is if it is FUNDEMENTALLY better than my SN-97. Because it is VERY good. You just gave the most poignant review yet of the new car. I will still wonder what we may have given up but you have crystallized my thinking.

Having driven the s197, the Fox cars of 79-04 seem much crappier than they always were chassis/ride quality wise. The new cars are solid rock.

Great post. I too am an IRS junkie, and apprehension wells up when I think about,"re learning" the handling characteristics. I think it's been defined well earlier as a touring sports car, which it really is.

Also being more of a tight back roads and top end kind of guy, I'm looking forward to the experience!

Having driven the s197, the Fox cars of 79-04 seem much crappier than they always were chassis/ride quality wise. The new cars are solid rock.

:party: As I have the rate matched lowering springs and the subs installed in my COBRA, I was not at all blown away by the 05 GT I had for 3 days in the mountains. That is why I needed the feedback on the chassis of the GT500. It will have to be substantailly more performance oriented than the stang GT to convince me its to my taste. Which is why Three's impressions are so important to me. Yes it SHOULD be at least a decade better in basic form, but I have pretty high expectations. As did 3.

Archived