TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake Caliper paint

GT-H #387

Does anyone have a picture of a SAI painted calipers? The paint has worn off the calipers on my GT-H and I want to repaint them to match the SAI paint. Did they just paint the calipers and the brake pad backing plate black? Or were they more careful to paint the caliper black only? Was the black a flat, semigloss, or gloss black? The little remaining paint on my one caliper appears to be flat balck. Maybe someone who owns a low mileage GT-H could post a picture.

Pictures would be worth a thousand words :D

Bryan

Does anyone have a picture of a SAI painted calipers? The paint has worn off the calipers on my GT-H and I want to repaint them to match the SAI paint. Did they just paint the calipers and the brake pad backing plate black? Or were they more careful to paint the caliper black only? Was the black a flat, semigloss, or gloss black? The little remaining paint on my one caliper appears to be flat balck. Maybe someone who owns a low mileage GT-H could post a picture.

Pictures would be worth a thousand words :D

Bryan

Mine is gone to, so any info would be great!!

John

The Motor Trend article indicates that the calipers were to be painted, but I got my car with 7900 miles and it's clean as a whistle underneath and there is no way that there was ever paint on the calipers. They are as bright and clean as can be. Looked like they were fresh from Ford yesterday.

I don't think the black paint on the calipers ever made it past the prototype car. If you look at the Shelby invoice included in the Hertz documentation (which details every modification made, including a $12.00 'clip' to defeat the traction control) there is no charge for painting the calipers. With the attention to 'detail' on charges on the Shelby invoice you can bet that there would have been something invoiced if the brakes were painted.

For at least car number 242, I can say with great certainty that the calipers were never black.

The Motor Trend article indicates that the calipers were to be painted, but I got my car with 7900 miles and it's clean as a whistle underneath and there is no way that there was ever paint on the calipers. They are as bright and clean as can be. Looked like they were fresh from Ford yesterday.

I don't think the black paint on the calipers ever made it past the prototype car. If you look at the Shelby invoice included in the Hertz documentation (which details every modification made, including a $12.00 'clip' to defeat the traction control) there is no charge for painting the calipers. With the attention to 'detail' on charges on the Shelby invoice you can bet that there would have been something invoiced if the brakes were painted.

For at least car number 242, I can say with great certainty that the calipers were never black.

SAME WITH MINE, CLEAN AS A WHISTLE, LOOK SILVER TO ME.

SAME WITH MINE, CLEAN AS A WHISTLE, LOOK SILVER TO ME.

Looked at mine close today #168 I was cleaning and detailing my car and there is some black paint flaking off on the calipers. There is not enough to say they were painted for sure but they all have some black on them.I think I am going to paint them with the black gloss caliper paint anyway I think they would look good and keep them from rusting and looking cruddy.

I will post a picture later this week of the paint remaining on the caliper of CSM # 0202. It was definitely painted black at one time from SAI.

If you look at the pictures on this site of the 1st production GT-H (CSM #0011), you will see that both the front and rear calipers are black. I know the owner of CSM# 0010 and will inquire about the status of the calipers this week. CSM# 0010 is a low mileage car. If the surface of the calipers was prepared correctly, there will be black paint remaining. I personally feel SAI spent absolutely no time prepping the calipers for paint. The paint didn't stick due to the contaminants on the surface from the manufacturing process.

As for Shelby charging Hertz for the paint, the last line item "Misc. Hardware Kit" covers that charge. That line is very nonspecific. It didn't take the Shelby mechanics much time at all to paint the 4 brake calipers. The wheels were off the car already for all of the suspension modifications. All they did was spray a little Krylon black paint on each caliper.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it :D

Bryan

I know that 391 has a sort of flat black coating. Silver is showing through where the paint is flaking off. I wasn't sure what, if any color to bring it back to original. I remember reading somwhere on this forum that there was a few painted in the begining. Later cars supposedly had none. Mine would differ with that.

I know that 391 has a sort of flat black coating. Silver is showing through where the paint is flaking off. I wasn't sure what, if any color to bring it back to original. I remember reading somwhere on this forum that there was a few painted in the begining. Later cars supposedly had none. Mine would differ with that.

My #406 car was bought in June (Mannhiem auctioned in March to dealer). The car came out of West Palm Beach Hertz region (around 9k miles) and calipers were satin black. No peeling, flaking, etc. Car was immaculate when I got it and have gone over it closely and appears to be untouched. Have been into Shelbys since 1972 and learned a bit about what to expect with these cars.

This has turned into an interesting discussion! I got out the flashlight tonight and went over the calipers with a fine toothed comb. If there was ever paint on them you would expect it to collect in at least some of the corners, but these are clean.

What is interesting to me is the seemingly random nature of car numbers and whether or not the calipers were painted. It would seem logical that they just 'gave it up' at some number.

Perhaps someone from Shelby can weigh in?

This has turned into an interesting discussion! I got out the flashlight tonight and went over the calipers with a fine toothed comb. If there was ever paint on them you would expect it to collect in at least some of the corners, but these are clean.

What is interesting to me is the seemingly random nature of car numbers and whether or not the calipers were painted. It would seem logical that they just 'gave it up' at some number.

Perhaps someone from Shelby can weigh in?

When this thread was started, I was hoping a SAI employee would have some valuable input. Maybe we could get a definitive answer to the question.

Definitely some interesting input from GT-H owners.

Bryan

All,

I was fortunate enough to be at SEMA last week and went to the Shelby museum for the tour. While there I picked my GT-H registration materials from John Walker himself. Thanks to John for making the tour special and personal!

While there I got the opportunity to speak with John and asked him about the 'black caliper question' that we have been discussing here on the forum. Here is the conversation we had, pretty much word for word.

"John, can you tell me about painting the brake calipers on the GT-H coupes? The Motor Trend article says it was supposed to be done, but my car (242) shows no signs of it. There are guys on the forum with later cars that have black calipers. Can you tell me how many cars left with black calipers and what was the logic behind the numbering?"

"Ohhh, the cars with black calipers. They are the most rare and special of the Hertz cars. Does yours have it?" John asked.

"No" was my disappointed reply.

"Man, that's too bad" he said. "Sounds like there is a couple of lucky guys on the forum with black caliper cars, do you know how many there are?"

"No" I said again. "I think I saw a couple guys indicating they had black calipers, but I'm not sure how many."

"Man that's too bad for you" John continued.

At this point John lets out a big smile and laughs. "I'm just kidding you" he says "No cars left SAI with black painted calipers, that was only an idea that did not even make it to the prototype car. If guys have black calipers it was done after it left here, perhaps by the dealer. It wasn't done by us."

"No cars left SAI with black painted calipers, that was only an idea that did not even make it to the prototype car. If guys have black calipers it was done after it left here, perhaps by the dealer. It wasn't done by us."

I'm not buying this explanation. From the www.Shelbyautos.com web site, here is a photo of the first production GT-H CSM 0011 clearly showing the brake calipers are painted black. If you also look at the photos of the 1st GT-H shipment, black calipers can be seen in several photos.

There is more to this story.

Bryan

Yeah, but remember that the first two dozen or so cars (CSM #) went to Carroll Shelby, Hertz executives, and other dignitaries (i.e., not rental car places). It could be that these first few were done in one batch with calipers painted and the main production were not. Just a guess.

If you want black calipers, paint them. I don't think it'll hurt the re-sale. ;)

One thing is clear, if the experts at Shelby are saying something that contradicts with photographic evidence to the contrary we may never truly know and it will likely not make a difference in terms of resale. Personally I like the black calipers and was hoping to find a 'correct' way to add them. (Not like correctness on the calipers will ultimately be the deciding factor) One way to avoid the argument entirely is to upgrade to the Shelby/Baer brakes!

Oh, and one other thing I saw at SEMA...GT-H specific billet caps for all underhood fluids. It looks SWEET!

Yeah, but remember that the first two dozen or so cars (CSM #) went to Carroll Shelby, Hertz executives, and other dignitaries (i.e., not rental car places). It could be that these first few were done in one batch with calipers painted and the main production were not. Just a guess.

If you want black calipers, paint them. I don't think it'll hurt the re-sale. ;)

It really isn't a matter of whether or not I want black calipers. It's now become more of a matter of the rhyme and reason behind the cars that did get the black calipers.

I now know that the calipers on my GT-H #387 have never been painted and also #430's calipers have never been painted ether. They are as clean as can be. Yet #202 has about 1/2 of the black paint remaining as well as #010. So some did get painted and others didn't.

If I was a betting man, I would guess the early production CSM #'s were painted and the later ones weren't.

Bryan

I don't think that reasoning works either. Mine's #391 and it most certainly has been painted. Its a higher number car. I find it hard to believe that someone other than Shelby would go to the trouble of painting the calipers for the giggles.

I'm trying to keep mine as stock as possible. So the paint will stay as is.

I don't think that reasoning works either. Mine's #391 and it most certainly has been painted. Its a higher number car. I find it hard to believe that someone other than Shelby would go to the trouble of painting the calipers for the giggles.

I'm trying to keep mine as stock as possible. So the paint will stay as is.

Hi Guys,

Don't know any reason for the paint, but # 206 and #16 calipers are normal, and # 235 and 386 are clearly painted flat black.

Just another mystery. I think these cars might have been from the Las Vegas locations. Maybe someone at the locate rental location did it? I should have my Hertz paperwork soon and will post that info when I find out.

TomG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

curious how there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which cars got the painted ones.

I agree... there is no rhyme or reason to the brake caliper paint. I own #387 and they aren't painted. I know #202 has painted calipers and #430's calipers are unpainted. We may never know the reasoning behind painted vs unpainted. 30 years from now the owners may have the same discussion.

Bryan

Archived