TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New hood pins

sdear

Just got the new Shelby hood pins delivered today. They look very nice.

Any tips on installing them before we get started? I know some had issues..and maybe your experience will help us .

Thanks,

Sue

Doing mine tomorrow Sue. Adam did not use the mounting plates that came with the kit. He did drill out the rivets holding the lanyards and replaced them with the new ones in the kit. Maybe he will chime in here. But he told me no issues at all. I'll let you know how I make out.

Roger

Doing mine tomorrow Sue. Adam did not use the mounting plates that came with the kit. He did drill out the rivets holding the lanyards and replaced them with the new ones in the kit. Maybe he will chime in here. But he told me no issues at all. I'll let you know how I make out.

Roger

I did mine last week. I would suggest changing the black mounting plates. They reposition the stud and I think it provides a better fit with the new pins.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks guys..and keep us posted. My husband is going to do them this weekend, so appreciate any input.

We were wondering if we should replace the lanyards.

They look really nice in the package....they look so much nicer than the stock ones. Can't wait to see them on the car.

Then it's time for a clay bar bath and polish ! I entered him in a show in November.

It's very easy, I changed everything except the mounting plates. I drilled out the old laynard cables so I could use the new ones, much better quality with the new ones. When I mounted the posts I had to bend them forward just a tad. As I understand it if you use the new mounting brackets you won't have to do this. Other than that it's just switching stuff............very easy, just take your time.

I did mine last week. I would suggest changing the black mounting plates. They reposition the stud and I think it provides a better fit with the new pins.

Just my $0.02.

how do u remove the black plastic cover on the radiator so i can get to the black brackets???

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

how do u remove the black plastic cover on the radiator so i can get to the black brackets???

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

You lift up the center "button" of the plastic fasteners. Sometimes you can use your finger nails or a pair of small screw drivers.

Once they are raised up high enough, you can remove the entire fastener. Once they are all removed, then the cover comes right off.

I hope that helps.

ok type this out one more time..for some reason it said web page expired <_<

ok i finished the new hood pin installation. thanks for the tip on the radiator cover removal.

as u probly guessed nothing lined up so at first i took the disks and filed out the stud holes and had to file out one of the corners of it because the hood sloped not only forward but outward towards the headlights. which made the studs too far up and in. so i made the upper part of the holes lopsided as u can see in one of the pics.

but then i got to realizing i could have adjusted the black brackets "side to side" and maybe bend them a little but not too much or the studs would not clear the holes in the hood itself. so i took them off and bent them slightly and put them back on and adjusted the position of the plates. now the studs are more centered "side to side, front and back". but the disk holes lopsided.

maybe i can take a big bore drill bit and make the holes more concentric. and bevel them a little to make it look more professionally done. but thats another day.

but it looks better than the ugly thin plates they had and they were bent up.

here are the pics....

i opened and closed the hood probly a million times to make sure things lined up. :wacko:

post-5172-1147561461_thumb.jpg

post-5172-1147561604_thumb.jpg

ok type this out one more time..for some reason it said web page expired <_<

ok i finished the new hood pin installation. thanks for the tip on the radiator cover removal.

as u probly guessed nothing lined up so at first i took the disks and filed out the stud holes and had to file out one of the corners of it because the hood sloped not only forward but outward towards the headlights. which made the studs too far up and in. so i made the upper part of the holes lopsided as u can see in one of the pics.

but then i got to realizing i could have adjusted the black brackets "side to side" and maybe bend them a little but not too much or the studs would not clear the holes in the hood itself. so i took them off and bent them slightly and put them back on and adjusted the position of the plates. now the studs are more centered "side to side, front and back". but the disk holes lopsided.

maybe i can take a big bore drill bit and make the holes more concentric. and bevel them a little to make it look more professionally done. but thats another day.

here are the pics....

post-5172-1147561461_thumb.jpg

post-5172-1147561604_thumb.jpg

Those are different then the ones i was seeing on the GO SGT over at ford by me...........

cool.

i wish i would have adjusted the brackets first and not had to waller out the holes so much.

lesson learned i guess.

i thought of fabricating a 1/8" thick aluminum disk and make with a machined or brushed finish using the original disk plates as templates.

but i'll wait and see if the lopsided holes i made on these eat on me any...right now i'm just glad i got it done. lol

they look good standing away from car...u cant really see the flaws

still couldnt get the studs lined up to where the ring pins would fit in the channels

but its good enough

I just finished installing the decorative Shelby flanges. Took me about 2-2.5 hours,on the putzometer clock lol (I wasn't rushing anything,and took many a break/grin). It has 3 angles of attack,that all have to meet up,when finished. I used a round rasp file,and took out what was needed,in the hood. I then bent the bracket(used a rag and an Oklahoma speed wrench/channel locks) Horizontally,and vertically,to get it to line up with the existing screws,and new flange. I musta opened/closed the hood 30+ times between the two,making minor adjustments each time.

Sue wants to go gambling tonight,so finished with that part of the project,and will put on the new cables tomorrow. They look of higher quality,in regards to the finish/double clasp that is used next to the lockdown ring. Hoping that when I drill out the original rivet,that it doesn't spin on me lol.

In summary,it's not a hard project,if you take your time,and line up your axis/bolt,in 3D.

And,they look like ummmmmmmm...... when sitting in the car LOL.

Ok question for those of you that have changed yours.....

After you drilled out the cables to replace them....what size screws did you use to put the new ones in with? Did your kit come with them? We don't seem to have them.

Thanks,

Sue

no, the kit instructions sugests using rivets to attach the cables. the kit doesnt include rivets. u have to buy rivets seperately.

p.s. i havent put the new better looking cables on yet...i need to get some new rivets and a rivet gun.

i dont know if anyone has just used screws to attach the cables or if u can only use rivets. if u used screws it might work loose over time unless u use little bolts and a lock washer with some locktight.

edit: or maybe just use sheetmetal screws with locktight....i guess.

but i'd feel more comfortable with rivets

i am gonna say it.....he thinks they look like xxxxxxx when sitting in the car :o :huh:

He is a sick man.

They look great !

ok..i won't say it :)

oh great! thanks.

after reading your post i went out and looked at my car and they do look like pierced niblets :blink:

if it werent for your post i would have never thought of it.

now i want to change them <_<

All done. The piercing was virtually painless,and I believe he(Ralph,WTF?) is better for it! :) Came out nice,my opinion. I used 2 of the 8 left over screws,from the original flange,and used those to fasten down the cable end. I alst,when drillin out the old rivet/s,I used Vise-grips to hold down the rivet/s,to keep em from spinning.

Gonna post some pics,so possibly it will help others with a future install.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg