TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire Pressure Low

CrazyDave_merged

Cold in Houston=below 60? :) I know what you mean though. I have had to add air to mine a few times the past few weeks. I need some again in one tire. It has been cooler here after record warmth last week and we may have flurries this weekend. (snow showers for you that have never heard of it) I wanted to drive her in today but we had rain showers and the roads were still wet. I am figuring on only 1 more week until she gets put to bed for winter :(

Cold in Houston=below 60? :) I know what you mean though. I have had to add air to mine a few times the past few weeks. I need some again in one tire. It has been cooler here after record warmth last week and we may have flurries this weekend. (snow showers for you that have never heard of it) I wanted to drive her in today but we had rain showers and the roads were still wet. I am figuring on only 1 more week until she gets put to bed for winter :(

You know, here in San Diego we have had plenty to keep us busy but snow is not part of it. At the risk of revealing that I was born and raised in San Diego (by two Minnesota farm kids), how many Forum members have to put their cars away for the winter months? Sorry to hijack this topic a bit but with 90 degree temperatures and firestorms, one's muse turns to cooler things, like snow. :) Jim

So, what is the recommended pressure (without having my manual handy)? 32 psi?

Don't know what the book says, but I know a littlt bit about BFG tires. I suggest 35 PSI for maximum performance from these tires. If I had Pirelli's, I would suggest 38-40 PSI, based on my past experience.

Factory fills are nortoriously low, so the "customer test drive" is softer. But, this affects tire performance and adhesion to the pavement too. Correct inflation/PSI will telegraph road noise and feedback to the driver, but performance is the priority over comfort, right?

The weather here has been really weird lately, swinging back and forth from 90's to 60's overnight. Just last week, my low pressure alarm went off and I checked the PSI. 25-27 PSI, and I bumped it back up to 35 PSI. I feel more cracks in the road, but improved control balances this out.

Somewhere in the back of my head, I recall an equasion of "10 degrees = 1 PSI", but I can't say it's a "rule". But, if the factory set the PSI to 30 for a softer ride in Vegas, and the car is in Chicago now, the numbers seem about right.

Cold in Houston? We do not consider it cold in South Dakota until it drops below zero. I have had difficulty with tire pressure sensors on my cars as well (not sure why they have not included that factor in their software). But, I had the Mustang’s tires inflated by Nitrofil (nitrogen gas), which is unaffected by ambient temperature as well as road temperature. My local Ford dealer peddles the product. It appears to solve the problem but my baby will be parked all winter anyway.

You know, here in San Diego we have had plenty to keep us busy but snow is not part of it. At the risk of revealing that I was born and raised in San Diego (by two Minnesota farm kids), how many Forum members have to put their cars away for the winter months? Sorry to hijack this topic a bit but with 90 degree temperatures and firestorms, one's muse turns to cooler things, like snow. :) Jim

Put it away for the winter? Are you kidding me? Nothing spells FUN like a cold, dense charge of air hitting the engine mixed with cold pavement and colder tires! :lol:

It almost takes the fun out of summer driving...

Cold in Houston? We do not consider it cold in South Dakota until it drops below zero. I have had difficulty with tire pressure sensors on my cars as well (not sure why they have not included that factor in their software). But, I had the Mustang’s tires inflated by Nitrofil (nitrogen gas), which is unaffected by ambient temperature as well as road temperature. My local Ford dealer peddles the product. It appears to solve the problem but my baby will be parked all winter anyway.

Not sure which physics book says nitrogen's not affected by temperature. All contained gasses will change pressure just due to temperature changes. Tires filled with 92% or 96% Nitrogen just don't leak as much as tires filled with 78% nitrogen (air) due to size of molecules.

In any case I, too, have had the sensor come on just within the last two days. Houston is getting cold, but it can't be that bad. Must be tire gremlins....

I put air in mine finally yesterday afternoo. All were good except my drivers side rear one. When I put the tire guage on the stem the needle didnt even budge! I will have to keep an eye out for a leak.

Funny! Mine did the same thing to me last week. It got down to the low 40's in Utah and all the sudden I lost about 10 lbs of pressure in each tire on the car and I got the low pressure warning. I freaked out and drove it to the dealership. they laughed at me and filled the tires to fix it. I took off the traction control and burnned the tires as I left the dealership as a thanks for the help! Everyone cheered at the service center. :D

Not sure which physics book says nitrogen's not affected by temperature. All contained gasses will change pressure just due to temperature changes. Tires filled with 92% or 96% Nitrogen just don't leak as much as tires filled with 78% nitrogen (air) due to size of molecules.

In any case I, too, have had the sensor come on just within the last two days. Houston is getting cold, but it can't be that bad. Must be tire gremlins....

Molecular Nitrogen is actually smaller than oxygen. Nitrogen is 14 and Oxygen is 16 on the periodic table. In fact out atmosphere is about 70 percent nitrogen anyway. My wife is a research scientist and she calls advertising ad copy on the size idea. :D

My sensor came on also and when i took it to ford it had 1 tire 1/2 lb low and that was enough to trigger the sensor with the weather change !!!!!!!! B)

I have had the nitrogen fill since I bought the car over 6 months ago. They highly recommended living in florida with the hot temps . Have only had to add nitro to one tire...3 lbs...when a sensor came on. The other 3 tires have stayed constant for over 6 months.

They say it's ideal for temp change climates.....has been great for me so far. They also say you get less tire wear.

It was 20 dollars to fill all 4, and that includes lifetime refills. ONly downside is if you do get a low tire, you have to fill it at the dealer. They did tell me if I have to use reg air, do so, but bring it in asap and refill.

Archived