TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT350 vs. shelby GT

bubbabow

i have seen threads talking about how current Shelby GT owners keep referring to their cars as remakes of the GT350. Purist seem to be unset with this and claim that Shelby is coming out with a GT350. So I have a question if Shelby makes a GT350 what would really be the difference? Example. as much as i research a 66 GT350 the big difference seems to be one year with and a year without a back seat ; a generally smaller HP engine. But besides that if I compare it to a 08 Shelby GT to a 66 i get the same color; same set up generally per ride etc. ; same look with new body and same smaller engine than the 500 and same road rally etc intent as the GT350. So other than the stripe on the side saying 350 vs. just GT what would you say is going to be different? Please do not torch me as i am not debating just do not understand.

i have seen threads talking about how current Shelby GT owners keep referring to their cars as remakes of the GT350. Purist seem to be unset with this and claim that Shelby is coming out with a GT350. So I have a question if Shelby makes a GT350 what would really be the difference? Example. as much as i research a 66 GT350 the big difference seems to be one year with and a year without a back seat ; a generally smaller HP engine. But besides that if I compare it to a 08 Shelby GT to a 66 i get the same color; same set up generally per ride etc. ; same look with new body and same smaller engine than the 500 and same road rally etc intent as the GT350. So other than the stripe on the side saying 350 vs. just GT what would you say is going to be different? Please do not torch me as i am not debating just do not understand.

Good question!

I'm sure that somewhere around here is somebody with a GT350 just itching to do a comparison - any takers GT350 guys/gals? Perhaps a Father(GT350) / Son (ShelbyGt) get together?

Large show coming up in Ocala, Florida...I'm close, so maybe some could gather there?

I can't speak to all the issues about the comparison, but there is a guy I see at crusie nights all the time from area with an original '65 GT350. It is nice car in driver condition with a small 1960's race hsitory.

It surprises me how interested he is my SGT and accepts the pedigre of the car. We have talked about how the cars have similar features and apperance cues but not about performance comparisions. Remember that GT350 guys have been pounded for years by the big block GT500s and the GT350 were considered "little brothers" once tyhe big blocks came out. I think that GT350 owners have a sense of what a well balnced car will do versus the full out grunt of a straight line big block. The GT350 loves the sound of my car and often complements the looks and moderen driveabilty.

My sense is that once a modern GT350 does come out then all the magazines will do endless side by side comparisions and we can chew on that information for quite a while. However, a new GT350 will probably come with the eraly buyer's dreaded stupid ADM and availabilty issues. I would expect that the a new GT350 would have a S/C or additional displacement in the motor to set it apart performance wise from our SGTs. So be it. I love my car and I have to accept that SAI will probably continue to make cars in the future for me to lust over.

Hope this ansers your questions, if not, I enjoyed rambling on ! :blink:

-Tim-

In the past there has been wide speculation that a GT350 may be coming down the road. Who really knows besides SAI and Ford....not us. If one did come out I see it having more HP than we currently have. Perhaps an s/c or a 5.4 n/a. I see it with the 5.4 because you can already get an SGT with a s/c. For its time the GT350 was just a mustang that had been race converted by Shelby, much like our SGT's of this era. So to me there doesnt seem to be a big difference other than the badging. The same intent was there then as is now. So only thing I could see is more HP than the SGT but less than the GT500.

I can't speak to all the issues about the comparison, but there is a guy I see at crusie nights all the time from my area with an original '65 GT350. It is a nice car in driver condition with a small 1960's race history.

It surprises me how interested he is in my SGT and accepts the Shelby pedigre of the car. We have talked about how the cars have similar features and apperance cues but not about performance comparisions. Remember that GT350 guys have been pounded for years by the big block GT500s and the GT350 were considered "little brothers" once the big blocks came out. I think that GT350 owners have a sense of what a well balanced car will do versus the full out grunt of a straight line big block. The GT350 owner loves the sound of my SGT and often complements the looks and moderen driveabilty.

My sense is that once a modern GT350 does come out then all the magazines will do endless side by side comparisions and we can chew on that information for quite a while. However, a new GT350 will probably come with the early buyer's stupid ADM and availabilty issues. I would expect that the a new GT350 would have a S/C or additional displacement in the motor to set it apart performance wise from our SGTs. So be it. I love my car and I have to accept that SAI will probably continue to make cars in the future for me to lust over.

Hope this answers your question, if not ............I enjoyed rambling on ! :blink:

-Tim-

In my opinion, it would be a mistake for SAI to make a GT 350, as it would diminish the value of our SGT's.

To me, the SGT is already the modern version of the GT 350, albeit with a different name.

In order to make today's SGT more like the original GT 350's, the following would need to be done;

- functional hood scoop

- functional side scoops (for rear brakes)

- lower rear gear ratio

- additional engine mods, to the 4.6L, for strength and HP

- brake upgrades

- delete rear seat

- move battery to the trunk

- stiffen chassis in certain areas

If I've left anything out, feel free to note!

In my opinion, it would be a mistake for SAI to make a GT 350, as it would diminish the value of our SGT's.

To me, the SGT is already the modern version of the GT 350, albeit with a different name.

In order to make today's SGT more like the original GT 350's, the following would need to be done;

- functional hood scoop

- functional side scoops (for rear brakes)

- lower rear gear ratio

- additional engine mods, to the 4.6L, for strength and HP

- brake upgrades

- delete rear seat

- move battery to the trunk

- stiffen chassis in certain areas

If I've left anything out, feel free to note!

MY ANSWER:

1) built-in roll bar

2) Otherwise i agree with all other mods you have noted, good job!

Furthermore:

The SGT was a preliminary car to the GT350, I'll bet a million dollars on it. If they were not going to make a GT350 they would have named the SGT, GT350! They know da*mn well the GT350 will command HUGE dollars and every business no matter the heritage looks at the potential profit from other adventures and SHELBY IS NO DIFFERENT in any way what so ever. I think a GT350 could come before the model changes body shapes, maybe even this year.

Keep in mind the battery to the trunk and rear seat delete were only in 65. also the side window plates were 65 only as well on the R. So just to be historically accurate you would need to decide whether you were doing a 65 or 66 recreation. To me I could care less. I want to drive the thing :)

I would guess after the SS and KR. And I am still wondering if it will be a SGT upgrade or a whole new model. The only thign I keep coming back to is that you can mod your SGT now with a S/C so what would be that different than a GT350 with an S/C? I cant wait to find out.

Amy, John, or Bud would you guys care to chime in on this discussion??! We wont tell a soul I swear! :)

I agree with ilmor and I don't see a place in the market for a 350. If they put a blower on the 350 it becomes direct competition for the 500. I think the GT is the modern embodiment of the 350 not sure why they didn't use the monicker on our cars. I believe that our car is very faithful to the original in terms of what it offered over the best mustang available at the time.

GT 350 is coming. The only question is when.

ya agreed. SAI has Super Snake, mod shop and 2008 production going on now. 2008 is below 2007 #'s so SAI should have time to start another product line like a GT350....maybe 2nd half of '08 ?

I welcome the car. Will it diminish the SGT's value , yes for a while, but ultimately it will add to the Shelby history & heritage of cars made now. But I'm not one who cares about resale value. I want to keep my SGT forever and hand over it to my kids :D .

A long time ago Amy posted, "When we make the GT350 it will be 400HP and come in the two combinations of blue and white." Later that night it was changed to "...if we make the GT350."

The 2009 Mustang is expected to get a 50 horsepower bump to 350. It wouldn't surprise me if Shelby could bump that to 400 plus whatever other goodies (rear gear, brakes, suspension.)

I expect SAI will use the GT350 name. Part of the slow sales problem with the Shelby GT is that it doesn't have a magical name like GT500 or GT350. I will be surprised if Shelby doesn't build a GT350. That being said, my hope is that they will discontinue the Shelby GT when the GT350 comes out. I would hate for our Shelby GTs to become second billing to a Shelby GT350.

Of course this post is only my speculation and opinion.

if no one really knows maybe the web admin. can port this over to SAI- Amy for comment, i keep hearing about a GT350 what would they do different?

Like they are going to give us their inside business strategy for the next two years! Sorry but that was not a good reply as no business would ever implicate themsleves like that it would ONLY hurt them on the SGT sales right now- B)

being a business guy i am probably looking at this more from a marketing point than anything. I appreciate the feed back . I just can not see how they would fit it in to their line without coliding , meaning a boast in power will put it at the 500 , if you add brakes engine upgrade tires wheels etc. that on the mod program is about $10,000 add. when the msrp of the current GT and 500 are only $4-5,000 a part there is not space , especially when you are opening mod shops and charging about 8-10,000 to do the work on a GT, now it damages that program. the only thing i can see is making a slight upgrade on the current GT and making it a GTR 350 and adding cosmetics (roll bar badging etc.) and maybe a SC although again i think they have a pricing issue and calling it an 350 like they are doing the K and charging maybe 2,000 more for the whole package. so that it does not hurt the 500 and is between the msrp on the GT and 500. It would allow the current GT guys to upgrade to the 350 package. Dont know just thought

A long time ago Amy posted, "When we make the GT350 it will be 400HP and come in the two combinations of blue and white." Later that night it was changed to "...if we make the GT350."

The 2009 Mustang is expected to get a 50 horsepower bump to 350. It wouldn't surprise me if Shelby could bump that to 400 plus whatever other goodies (rear gear, brakes, suspension.)

I expect SAI will use the GT350 name. Part of the slow sales problem with the Shelby GT is that it doesn't have a magical name like GT500 or GT350. I will be surprised if Shelby doesn't build a GT350. That being said, my hope is that they will discontinue the Shelby GT when the GT350 comes out. I would hate for our Shelby GTs to become second billing to a Shelby GT350.

Of course this post is only my speculation and opinion.

Given the conservative tune that Ford throws at its supercharged cars (and, yes, the GT500 is a Ford, not Shelby, car...), I am guessing that the original intention of SAI was to get Ford to sign off on a GT350 that would have the Ford Racing whipple supercharger (similar to the GT500 whipple unit) pushing 400 or so horsepower from the 3v 4.6 and have the GT500 body kit. This way, they could easily distinguish the Shelby GT from the GT350. I further assume that the Shelby GT took the wind out of the sails (and sales) of a potential GT350, so the idea was scrapped for a while.

I would be surprised not to see a GT350 offering in the future, and it would be very easy for SAI to license the name to Ford like they did for the GT500 (okay, I'm not sure if SAI holds the names, but I'm pretty sure that some Shelby-related entity does). Think about it: no need to invest in all the overhead required to turn out 5K - 10K cars a year, but have Mr. Shelby take a few pictures, make a few quotes, and then sit back and collect the checks as the cars are built.

Of course, all this is speculation, but it comes from a year of reading very carefully between the lines. And if I'm off base, oh well. I still love my car.

Given the conservative tune that Ford throws at its supercharged cars (and, yes, the GT500 is a Ford, not Shelby, car...), I am guessing that the original intention of SAI was to get Ford to sign off on a GT350 that would have the Ford Racing whipple supercharger (similar to the GT500 whipple unit) pushing 400 or so horsepower from the 3v 4.6 and have the GT500 body kit. This way, they could easily distinguish the Shelby GT from the GT350. I further assume that the Shelby GT took the wind out of the sails (and sales) of a potential GT350, so the idea was scrapped for a while.

I would be surprised not to see a GT350 offering in the future, and it would be very easy for SAI to license the name to Ford like they did for the GT500 (okay, I'm not sure if SAI holds the names, but I'm pretty sure that some Shelby-related entity does). Think about it: no need to invest in all the overhead required to turn out 5K - 10K cars a year, but have Mr. Shelby take a few pictures, make a few quotes, and then sit back and collect the checks as the cars are built.

Of course, all this is speculation, but it comes from a year of reading very carefully between the lines. And if I'm off base, oh well. I still love my car.

Thanks since i think of this in practical business terms -- your post makes alot of sense now. i have been totally confused by the business decision on the 350 issue given how close the current gt is atleast in principal to that car. I would agree with what you are seeing thanks.

If they do, do it, I'll bet 5.4 N/A white w/ blue stipe only. Very low number, say 500-1000 and that will be the Shelby GT350 Standard. You will then be able just like the SGT now to order and have install at the mad shop all the trick stuff as we do now. Think about it, How many more different ways can you do the package besides a power change and paint and stripes and wheels? SAI has everything at its disposal ready to go parts wise.......Except for ford dropping in a 5.4 and 6 speed.

To me the SGT is very much in the spirit of the original GT 350's. I have a big block car and a GT 350 and I prefer to drive the GT 350. It drives and handles better than the BB cars. They are not as powerful, but they are not that much different for street driving. Try and change the spark plugs on a BB car!!!

These comparisons are right in line for the SGT to the new GT500.

For me the biggest signal to SGT being a rebirth GT350 comes from the Hertz program. Let me explain....

Hertz makes the 66 GT350H in 1966. It becomes a legendary car

Shelby & Hertz team up again in 2006 to unveil the GT-H. Comparrison between the old and new is immediate and deliberate

It is in my mind this moment where the SGT becomes the remade GT350 (for now, perhaps)

Demand for retail versions of the GT-H inspire the SGT program.

Ford determines that SVT can't handle this project and deliver it in the short time deadline set to capitolize of the demand.

Shelby get the green light to build them in LV. the same as they did the Hertz conversions. (the same way they did the originals back in the 60's and early 70's)

All of this makes good sense for now. Magazines like Road & Track or Car & Driver did a comparrison directly to the GT350 alsong side the product release of the SGT to further project this oppinion. The day Shelby announces a new GT350 everything will change for us in this regard. I doubt however, that our SGT's will suffer. The SGT is what it is... a real registered Shelby Mustang limited in production and each numbered as part of an Iconic American racing brand, steeped in a rich racing history, and famed up with a timless legacy that will survive for many many more years -that was why I bought my SGT.

My 2 cents

The other thing you have to wonder is after the 08 SGT, the SS, and KR are done what will SAI be doing at the plant in Vegas as well as the new mod shop's??! Im thinking that after all the effort they went through to get people trained, car lifts installed, tools, etc., etc. they are going to want all of it sitting idle.

heres my guess reading all this:

they wait until 09 and eliminate after this year the shelby gt and do a GT 350 with the new 350 engine. they then offer some power boast to take it to 400hp. As to if Ford does it or Shelby I have to agree with an earlier post and I think Shelby will just license it to be done at the Ford plant and Shelby will take on the mods at the mod shops etc. this will protect all the current GT people as they can claim the only real Shelby and allow Ford a unique market for the new engine etc. Shelby can then concentrate on licensing and running the new mod shop operations and selling after parts for all of the units.

If they do, do it, I'll bet 5.4 N/A white w/ blue stipe only. Very low number, say 500-1000 and that will be the Shelby GT350 Standard. You will then be able just like the SGT now to order and have install at the mad shop all the trick stuff as we do now. Think about it, How many more different ways can you do the package besides a power change and paint and stripes and wheels? SAI has everything at its disposal ready to go parts wise.......Except for ford dropping in a 5.4 and 6 speed.

I disagree Ed S. Yes this is one time where you and I have disagreed about something regarding our Shelby's. I think SAi and Ford will make as many GT350's as possible and put them out to market. Could imagine what type of response that would have, another original GT350, WOW! They would be not at there best business potential if they were to only make 500-1000. I believe they will make as many GT350's as they made SGT's.

Also as far as the engine goes - The new Huricane engine that will put a GT Mustang in the 350 HP range is set to go into effect in the 09 Mustang. That engine dressed out could produce 400 naturally aspirated HP. That would be nice.

Any rebuttle here?

I disagree Ed S. Yes this is one time where you and I have disagreed about something regarding our Shelby's. I think SAi and Ford will make as many GT350's as possible and put them out to market. Could imagine what type of response that would have, another original GT350, WOW! They would be not at there best business potential if they were to only make 500-1000. I believe they will make as many GT350's as they made SGT's.

Also as far as the engine goes - The new Huricane engine that will put a GT Mustang in the 350 HP range is set to go into effect in the 09 Mustang. That engine dressed out could produce 400 naturally aspirated HP. That would be nice.

Any rebuttle here?

I totally agree thats why i think it will be made in the Ford Plant under license. I think it will be a main production vehicle. They will probably leave it to Shelby to mod after.

Any rebuttle here?

:lol:

Had to happen sometime........................... :)

Guys,

First off the Shelby GT is it's own car. It is not a GT350, nor is it meant to be. It has it's own attributes and styling ques. Many say it is a GT350, but that is a way for them to tie to the gt350 heritage. Mustang and Shelby have enough heritage to go around, you don't need to tie to a specific car.

IF and I say that with all the respect there is for the history of this car, it would have to be true to the original, the original started with a naturally aspirated Race car called the GT350R, the car would have to have naturally aspirated power above and beyond current limits(400+) The car would be built with the best and newest of ford racing technology. It would carry the colors that represent the heritage of the car. Theres probably a number of things I left out, but you get the idea.

If we are to do this car, we are years away.

Hope this helps.

A

Guys,

First off the Shelby GT is it's own car. It is not a GT350, nor is it meant to be. It has it's own attributes and styling ques. Many say it is a GT350, but that is a way for them to tie to the gt350 heritage. Mustang and Shelby have enough heritage to go around, you don't need to tie to a specific car.

IF and I say that with all the respect there is for the history of this car, it would have to be true to the original, the original started with a naturally aspirated Race car called the GT350R, the car would have to have naturally aspirated power above and beyond current limits(400+) The car would be built with the best and newest of ford racing technology. It would carry the colors that represent the heritage of the car. Theres probably a number of things I left out, but you get the idea.

Hope this helps.

A

years away?....like 2?

or am I asking the question you just implied couldnot be answered?

(Oh boy, we got a crowd now, look at those names reading this topic!) :D

Guys,

Hope this helps.

A

thanks for your response, it's always great when someone is your position is welling to interface on issues with their clients honestly and openly. It shows leadership.

What, and not save a normally-aspirated 5.4L for a future "Boss 331" or Mach 1 slotting in between the standard GT and the GT500? :)

Guys,

Hope this helps.

A

Good to hear from you; topics like this must really keep keep you guys up nights...

The Shelby GT does indeed have its own "attributes", but to ignore the similarities in form, function, and process is to pretend the obvious does not exist, and I personally do not believe that acknowledging the connection will devalue the GT350 name.

As for your definition of staying true to the original in terms of type of aspiration, the GT500, and by association your very own GT500KR, are not true to their original form. And for the GT500SS, well, that did not even exist, did it (it was my understanding that this was a heavily modified AC/Cobra, not a Mustang)? This is not so say that there is anything wrong with them, just that times change and technology changes with it (thank goodness).

Keep up the good work.

Archived