TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT350 vs. shelby GT

bubbabow

There isn't a problem with slow sales of shelby GT, They are selling in the markets with the right price

Amy

What, and not save a normally-aspirated 5.4L for a future "Boss 331" or Mach 1 slotting in between the standard GT and the GT500? :)

Good to hear from you; topics like this must really keep keep you guys up nights...

The Shelby GT does indeed have its own "attributes", but to ignore the similarities in form, function, and process is to pretend the obvious does not exist, and I personally do not believe that acknowledging the connection will devalue the GT350 name.

As for your definition of staying true to the original in terms of type of aspiration, the GT500, and by association your very own GT500KR, are not true to their original form. And for the GT500SS, well, that did not even exist, did it (it was my understanding that this was a heavily modified AC/Cobra, not a Mustang)? This is not so say that there is anything wrong with them, just that times change and technology changes with it (thank goodness).

Keep up the good work.

everyone has an opinion, that's what great, on the gt350, I don't think it will devalue the Shelby GT, on the contrary, I think it devalues to the shelby Gt to compare it with anything other then what it is. Its a new car designed by Shelby using ford racing parts and made for an audience that might not be able to afford the Gt500 with Adm's. Its a Classi in many ways and its forward thinking in others.

There was a Mustang SS, Only one, but there was one. On the KR I think we are very tru to the original, maybe better, but the Gt350 is the one, the one that started them all, it needs to be for street and racing, doesn't mean that the gt or any others cant be those things, just means that the 350 was the start and we need to do it right

Amy

I am concerned that Ford / SAI may have a hard time slotting a "proper" GT350 in between a Shelby GT and a GT 500. The msrp price of the GT 350 will need to be something like $42K.

Hmmmmm, years away huh? I think any "great" business person does NOT tip their hand to anyone anytime, just gives you enough to leave you slalivating for more. So I suspect that any issue of the GT350 will be studied hard but released quickly, I am assuming January of 09. However that would leave it being released in the "new" body and that in my mind will not resemble the actual GT350 as it would today-

Hmmmmm. Please give us more to chew on Miss Amy maybe we can figure out what your telling us if we can read into your mind a little bit more. :lol: !

It seems to me that we have a couple of things happening with all of this information. Amy it seems to me that the current GT , looks like a 350 ; is set up at least in theory, similar to the original 350 , had a similar or close hp size and has color themes similar to the 65 and 66 or at least close. It is easy to understand why the buying public and your dealers are relating it to a remake of a GT350. Sometimes with the buying public opinion becomes reality. Now I also fully understand that SAI intent is to save the original GT350 name etc for a state of the art road/race machine and that there is a passion to save it for that purpose and intent . However, you have what you have until a GT350 is put out and then the buying public will release the concept that the current GT is not a GT350 but its own vehicle. I do not think that the current difference in the old GT350 vs. the current GT is enough to erase that opinion and in fact is facilitating it, remember most dealers and alot of the buyers were not around when the gt350 was put out and all they are doing is reading articles and descriptions of what it was like and those sound just like the Gt and when you look at the current color schemes both years etc etc. the public wins. i think that it really does not matter it is clear what your vision is for the gt350 and when that happens the GT will be its own car at that point.

Very good information, and I have a new respect and understanding of SAI's intentions surrounding any new GT350 that may or may not be made available. But I have not changed my opinion at all.

Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it, and the original GT350, for all the road-racing beast that it was, was not a sales success. Owners complained about the 1965 car's ride and the locker rear end, almost as much as they complained about the exhaust fumes coming into the car through the HOLES cut in the floorpan to make way for the traction bars. Mid way through 1966, it was made a little more mainstream to please potential buyers, and the major suspension modifications that had previously made the car a world-class handler were abandoned. 1967 saw continued emphasis on making it more appealing to more people. By 1968, Ford was producing the cars, and the K-code 289 was gone and replaced with a J-code 302 (great little motor...I know because I had one...but not a road racing screamer, or even close). 1969 and 1970 saw a car that Shelby had largely not touched and Ford had largely abandoned in favor of the Mach 1 and Boss Mustangs.

Sure, the original 1965 and early 1966 cars have a tremendous following now, but a modern car in their mold will not sell 5K - 10K units per year. And a low volume car won't make financial sense when it will end up costing more per unit to produce and sell than the GT500, which through its sheer power will always have bragging rights.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong here, but I just don't see a business case for the car being described as what a new GT350 should be.

Maybe more realistic would be to have Ford produce the Shelby GT / GT350 under the current GT500 arrangements and let owners send them in to be converted to a Shelby GT-R / GT350-R. Limit production to 500 or so units and you'll have the reincarnation of the REAL race cars that made the original GT350s famous. Better yet, field a race team of these beasts in SCCA or some other organized form of racing and prove on the track that the cars are worthy heirs to the name.

Just $0.02 from a dumb Southern hick continuing to love his Shelby GT...

Very good information, and I have a new respect and understanding of SAI's intentions surrounding any new GT350 that may or may not be made available. But I have not changed my opinion at all.

Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it, and the original GT350, for all the road-racing beast that it was, was not a sales success. Owners complained about the 1965 car's ride and the locker rear end, almost as much as they complained about the exhaust fumes coming into the car through the HOLES cut in the floorpan to make way for the traction bars. Mid way through 1966, it was made a little more mainstream to please potential buyers, and the major suspension modifications that had previously made the car a world-class handler were abandoned. 1967 saw continued emphasis on making it more appealing to more people. By 1968, Ford was producing the cars, and the K-code 289 was gone and replaced with a J-code 302 (great little motor...I know because I had one...but not a road racing screamer, or even close). 1969 and 1970 saw a car that Shelby had largely not touched and Ford had largely abandoned in favor of the Mach 1 and Boss Mustangs.

Sure, the original 1965 and early 1966 cars have a tremendous following now, but a modern car in their mold will not sell 5K - 10K units per year. And a low volume car won't make financial sense when it will end up costing more per unit to produce and sell than the GT500, which through its sheer power will always have bragging rights.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong here, but I just don't see a business case for the car being described as what a new GT350 should be.

Maybe more realistic would be to have Ford produce the Shelby GT / GT350 under the current GT500 arrangements and let owners send them in to be converted to a Shelby GT-R / GT350-R. Limit production to 500 or so units and you'll have the reincarnation of the REAL race cars that made the original GT350s famous. Better yet, field a race team of these beasts in SCCA or some other organized form of racing and prove on the track that the cars are worthy heirs to the name.

A lot of thought was put into that post. B)

Thanks since i think of this in practical business terms -- your post makes alot of sense now. i have been totally confused by the business decision on the 350 issue given how close the current gt is atleast in principal to that car. I would agree with what you are seeing thanks.

At one time, Ford had said that that the GT500 was going to be a 2 model year run. Maybe the GT350 is it's replacement???

Being new to cars and to the shelby cars, IMO the SGT is a race car like the gt350 was. at least it is to me. I sold my recording studio for the down payment on mine and am looking to sell off other assets to buy another one just like it but maybe with a few more options. I really love the look and feel of the one I have and if they do build a production gt350 it won't hurt my feelings at all. I feel that my SGT has more about it than my dad's 08 GT500. I am in no way jealous of his and I don't have any regrets buying what I bought.

just my 2 cents also

Guys,

First off the Shelby GT is it's own car. It is not a GT350, nor is it meant to be. It has it's own attributes and styling ques. Many say it is a GT350, but that is a way for them to tie to the gt350 heritage. Mustang and Shelby have enough heritage to go around, you don't need to tie to a specific car.

IF and I say that with all the respect there is for the history of this car, it would have to be true to the original, the original started with a naturally aspirated Race car called the GT350R, the car would have to have naturally aspirated power above and beyond current limits(400+) The car would be built with the best and newest of ford racing technology.{ It would carry the colors that represent the heritage of the car.} Theres probably a number of things I left out, but you get the idea.

If we are to do this car, we are years away.

Hope this helps.

A

I've been wondering since the beginning why these cars were white with silver and not blue stripes,This sheds some light on that!

At one time, Ford had said that that the GT500 was going to be a 2 model year run. Maybe the GT350 is it's replacement???

Isn't that back-assward?

One past article - note the photo comparison...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...y_gt/index.html

I know some of you will scream BLASPHEMY!But I have looked into getting the stripes on my car redone,Or painted Guardsman blue.Not interested in putting GT350 on it,If any of you remember back in the eighties at some point you could get a mustang GT with red GT350 stripes on the side,Now that was blasphemy considering it was just a stock car with stripe mods!When I first saw this car I figured it WAS the modern interpretation of the GT 350,Considering the mild performance upgrades and GTH to go with it!Not the GT 350R,Which at some point still could be built,Maybe more streetable,Maybe not in keeping with the real theme.I don't consider,or call it a GT350,But you must admit lots of confused people have done just that,Only thing missing is the Name.Who owns the GT500,GT350 names anyway,Shelby or Ford?So what do you guys honestly think of my repaint idea,Possible loss of value I realize,Anger by Shelby owners,I'm ready for that too!I always liked the color combo,And since no one is building it............

07 Shelby GT it is your car. Do with it what makes you happy. F those who dont agree. Its what makes you happy not us :)

Amy so you are saying we will have a GT350 by years end????!LOL J/K, figured I would start the vicious rumors now :)

I personally believe they would sell 8k units or more a year if they made that many. But I am sure the number produced will be regulated by the CAFE issues as well. The economy is down but remember there is still alot of people out there with big pockets. Alot of collectors and investors who would scoff these things up. And then there are us. I am quite sure that if given the chance many of us would purchase a GT350. I know I would. So can we put in our orders now Amy?? :)

07 Shelby GT it is your car. Do with it what makes you happy. F those who dont agree. Its what makes you happy not us :)

Amy so you are saying we will have a GT350 by years end????!LOL J/K, figured I would start the vicious rumors now :)

I personally believe they would sell 8k units or more a year if they made that many. But I am sure the number produced will be regulated by the CAFE issues as well. The economy is down but remember there is still alot of people out there with big pockets. Alot of collectors and investors who would scoff these things up. And then there are us. I am quite sure that if given the chance many of us would purchase a GT350. I know I would. So can we put in our orders now Amy?? :)

I agree with Webba, it's your car, do with it what you want.

On another note, I know many will tie the shelby GT to the vintage shelby gt350, there is nothing wrong with that, I just think the car car stands on its own and stands for so much more, that you could be downplaying the sugnificance of its role. This car is the first Mustang built by Shelby with Ford in 40 years. for retail. It is a great car, I own one , and it's a great car.

Maybe I think on all this too much, but enjoy the car you have, do with it what you want, but most importantly drive it and enjoy it!

Amy

Now you all have me thinking. What will they do for the 2014 1/2 year? What kind of 50th anniversary Mustang will Ford come out with. I personally think they should wait to make the GT-350 in 2015 where they can come out the 50th anniversary GT-350. I dont think this next calander year will be a year to make such a car with the market in the condition it is in.

Also if they wait 7 years I should be able to buy one. Dont have the money now for another car. :(

Archived