TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SIRIUS SATELITE

hertzworld

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A REPLACEMENT SYSTEM FOR ONE OF MY GT-H'S I WOULD APPRECIATE THE HELP. I KNOW SHELBY DID NOT INSTALL THEM.

THANKS IN ADVANCE DENNIS

Um, a Ford Dealer?

The sat radio is a factory option so it can be replaced through any Ford Dealer.

How may miles are on it? If it is still under warranty then it will be covered.

What is wrong with it that it needs to be replaced?

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone find out if the Sirius radio units are out there to buy?

I am looking at a GT-H that the person selling it, removed it and tossed it, thinking it took away from the interior looks!!! GO FIGURE!

Did anyone find out if the Sirius radio units are out there to buy?

I am looking at a GT-H that the person selling it, removed it and tossed it, thinking it took away from the interior looks!!! GO FIGURE!

I'm too lazy to toss it without pulling the entire thing out and getting it back to a "stock radio" set-up, but I agree that the Sirius add-on controller takes something away from the interior. Especially if yours doesn't have a subscription like mine.

The radio is standard Hertz copy. Try the local Hertz rental store and see if they have a "space" to sell. Make sure that the receiver is still installed (on the dash near the wind shield in the center). Most likely the wiring is still intact.

Sirrus radio is tracked by radio serial number not by car number. Built by Audiovox for Hertz and installed at the Shelby factory by either Sirrus or Hertz installers( depending on who was available at the moment). I believe Hertz has a paided up subscribtion till 2008 and has left the radio subscription open for now to say thank you to the new owners. All mine work great. Thanks to Hertz and Shelby. What great companies.

TomG

Owner

Hello, I am one of the Hertz installers that installed the sat radio in the gt-h's.... (#'s 174-260). The sat radio you have is a model exclusive to Hertz Fun Collection. Chances are they just took the display unless they took out the center stack and removed all the wiring. The display is relatively cheap, easy to install, but hard to find outside of the Hertz realm. All of the radios in the GT-H's are considered Audiovox GEN2 units. This is very important when you are looking for a new display because a GEN1 display will not work in a GEN2 and vice versa even though they look the same. Now for actually finding one. The easiest thing to do would contact the service manager for the Los Angeles Hertz Airport location on Aviation BLVD and plead your case...... they tend to listen to GT-H owners. If you cannot get ahold of anyone there, contact David Groferrer pernounced "Juhfearer" at Sirius (should be DGroferrer@sirius.com) . He handles all the Hertz related Sirius issues and parts. There is a LARGE surplus of the gen2's sitting in warehouses and if i still worked at Hertz i could get you one no problem. any other questions dont hesitate to ask.

It looks like I'm the only one who hasn't figured it out yet . . . for those whose Sirius receivers work, how does it work? I've turned mine on and tried to tune in between 88 and 90, but I don't get anything. Also, my display has the Sirius 1-800 number.

Thanks,

Mike

I've got mine tuned to 88.5. It works most of the time, but sometimes when first start up, nothing but static. Usually turn the car off, then back on and the radio seems to come to life. Kinda strange.....

JW

This has happened to me as well. For a while, it was every other time I turned on the car. It always worked if I turned it off and back on again. ;)

I've just been living with the on - off thing. But to be honest, as little as I drive it; just doesn't matter enough to try a fix.

Hey guys, to program your radio back to the default settings (which is where it was when it was installed in your car and 88.5 on your fm dial), push this in sequence "SHIFT 0931 SHIFT"

To program it to 88.1 press "SHIFT 0921 SHIFT"

88.3 press "SHIFT 0922 SHIFT"

88.5 press "SHIFT 0923 SHIFT"

88.7 press "SHIFT 0924 SHIFT"

88.9 press "SHIFT 0925 SHIFT"

89.1 press "SHIFT 0926 SHIFT"

89.3 press "SHIFT 0927 SHIFT"

To Mute press "SHIFT 0928 SHIFT"

To UnMute press "SHIFT 0941 SHIFT"

To display your Sirius ESN/ID for re-subscription press "SHIFT 0000 SHIFT"

And last but not least, to change your display color to orange press "SHIFT 0952 SHIFT"

And to change it back to green press " SHIFT 0951 SHIFT"

Before anyone asks......no there are no other colors available..... :)

Have fun with these codes!.....

Also if the sirius number is the only thing on your display, turn it to channel 184 and let it sit for a few minutes. It may need an update. If it still continues to do that even after it sits your radio needs a new subscription. In that case use the ESN/ID code displayed above and call Sirius.

Thanks - Daniel

H0050, press "SHIFT 0931 SHIFT" and tune your radio in the GT-H to fm 88.5

Good Luck!

Guys,

This site will only change IF YOU LET IT! Registrations will carry over to Team Shelby. The threads will move over to Team Shelby. As long as we all go to post threads there, NOTHING WILL CHANGE! Think of it as a positive - we'll get more members and more of this info we love.

JW - This forum is merging with Team Shelby (formerly Mustangs Unleashed) in a few weeks. This forum will close and (as I understand it) and all links will point to Team Shelby. All the content will move over so there is not expected to be a loss of history.

I am a member of the Team Shelby site, same user name.

They say they poke fun at each other, just seems rude to me. When the second post on the GTH forum deals with why we are all getting our trannys, tires and engines repaired.......

Momma always said "If ya ain't got somethin nice to say..."

I'm trying out the new site. Time will tell.

All,

After 6 phone calls and a week of trying, I believe I have located the right contact at Sirius that can help us replace our missing Gen 2 control panels! According to the individual I spoke with, there was a break in communication at Hertz and early cars decommisioned from the rental fleet were de-installed of the Sirius radio when it should have been left in. The guy I spoke with knew the whole story and was more than willing to help (read: replace the unit - no questions asked) but didn't know how many controls were left. He will make himself a contact to fellow GT-H owners once we verify that the right parts can be secured.

I am going through the process with him right now and once we he has verified inventory and what car info he needs, I will pass it along to this audience.

Stay tuned! :)

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Just wanted to drop a line to let the gang know that I am getting a Sirius radio controller for my GT-H compliments of Sirius! As mentioned above I finally tracked down the individual who can help us - and it is actually the same person that Dan Hurley references above although the e-mail was incorrect. I spoke with David Gfroerer (Juh-fear) today who was the program manager at Sirius who worked with Shelby to coordinate the install of the satellite radio control units. He has a lot of interesting information as he was at SAI quite a few times, including during the building of all the GT-H cars. Here's a few tidbits of our conversation:

* All GT-H cars were to have the Sirius radios left in them, but early decommisioned cars had their radios removed before the rental agencies realized that they were supposed to stay. Aside from units stolen, there should be a handful of cars out there with missing sat radio's. Sirius is willing to provide units to GT-H owners. You will need to provide your VIN and GT-H car number.

* The control unit hooks into the back of the receiver along through a plug, there is then an FM modulator that allows play through the radio. Installation requires removal of the radio from the dash to allow access to the back of the receiver. It is not an inconsequential task, although getting to the back of the receiver is a must. Sirius will provide all instructions.

* There are two different control units that were installed into GT-H cars - those with the Hertz logo, and those without. All the rented cars had the Hertz logo although a few of the cars that went to special folks (execs, and specifically Carroll's car) did not have the Hertz logo. Carroll did not want the Hertz branding inside the car. Not sure how many non-Hertz logo'ed controllers were installed, but both are technically 'correct'.

* Initially Sirius and Hertz had an agreement to continue service on the radios for one year past the sell date of the car. A detailed decommission list of cars was sent to Sirius by Hertz and car numbers and dates were programmed for service termination accordingly. According to David, the first 250 cars to come out of service from Hertz followed a meticulous decommissioning schedule due to high demand for the cars. However as the last 250 came out of service the protocols started getting lax as demand softened. He also mentioned that some cars sat in Hertz or dealer lots for some time after being decommissioned and before selling. Because the Sirius service termination dates were entered en masse from a list generated before the cars left service, it is really a crap shoot as to whether or not you have any service left. Cars were in-service anywhere from a few to 12 months.

* The aftermarket sat radio controller was needed because Ford 'forgot' to design sat radio capability into the new Mustang stereo unit. A push to put sat radio controllers in the GT-H cars caused Sirius to work with Audiovox to essentially produce a 'one-off' controller for our cars. According to Dave at Sirius, the only vehicle to get these control units was the Shelby GT-H. Hence, outside of contacting Dave you will not be able to get one of these sat radio units. (Aside from securing from another GT-H)

Hope you enjoyed some of the facts, please know that this was from the best of my memory and chicken scratch notes of our conversation. If you are a GT-H owner needing help with your Sirius radio, feel free to contact David Gfroerer (dgfroerer@siriusradio.com) for assistance. He is aware I am posting his contact info. If for some reason this e-mail is not accurate, let me know as I still have his phone number.

Your fellow GT-H brother,

Brian Carlson

Look what showed up today! My car is now complete. Thanks to David at Sirius Radio for the assitance!

All the details are in the post above, please let me know if you have any questions about replacing one for your car!

Anybody know if just the control head is available for purchase? I've got the unit installed in mine, but the control head is pretty beat up. A "clean" unit would go a long way to enhnacing the cars interior.

JW

Cars that were in service in Hawaii will not have a Sirius controller. If your car was deployed in the rental fleet there, then it's actually (Hertz) correct that it doesn't have one.

I rented a GT-H convertible (07H108) for a few days in Honolulu this fall and confirmed with the Hertz Island Operations Manager for Oahu (David B. Scott) that none of the cars in the "fun collection" there have satellite radio as the receivers and antennae were designed to work in the contiguous 48 United States.

FYI... Matt

Archived