TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1st GT-500 Fatality

BigDave

Quoted from justabear: "This GT500 was just wrecked Friday night. I am told the driver was hopitalized. I have an unconfirmed report that the driver, age 60ish, has passed on from his injuries."

Link to video:

http://www.49abcnews.com/videos/2006/jul/21/4396/

I hate stories that end like this :rip: God bless his family & my he R.I.P.

I hate stories that end like this :rip: God bless his family & my he R.I.P.

Me too! Judging by the car, he was going in excess of 35 since his airbag deployed. Hopefully he survived, but this is very sad for both the driver and his family. May God bless

A 60-year-old Topeka man was taken by helicopter to The University of Kansas Hospital after a collision Friday in the 6700 block of S.W. Dancaster Road.

Sgt. Akim Reynolds, of the Shawnee County Sheriff's Office, said Frank T. Summerson, 60, Topeka, was driving a 2007 Shelby Cobra on Dancaster Road at about 5:22 p.m. when he apparently became ill and his vehicle began weaving across the road.

Reynolds said Summerson was traveling 20-to-30 miles per hour when he nearly struck another vehicle before colliding with a pickup truck driven by Corbin Garcia, of Topeka. Garcia was not injured.

Reynolds said Summerson was taken by American Medical Response ambulance to Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center and then flown from there to KU Hospital in Kansas City, Kan.

went back and checked, and his name is not listed in the Topeka obituaries for the last week; assume he is still living.

A 60-year-old Topeka man was taken by helicopter to The University of Kansas Hospital after a collision Friday in the 6700 block of S.W. Dancaster Road.

Sgt. Akim Reynolds, of the Shawnee County Sheriff's Office, said Frank T. Summerson, 60, Topeka, was driving a 2007 Shelby Cobra on Dancaster Road at about 5:22 p.m. when he apparently became ill and his vehicle began weaving across the road.

Reynolds said Summerson was traveling 20-to-30 miles per hour when he nearly struck another vehicle before colliding with a pickup truck driven by Corbin Garcia, of Topeka. Garcia was not injured.

Reynolds said Summerson was taken by American Medical Response ambulance to Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center and then flown from there to KU Hospital in Kansas City, Kan.

went back and checked, and his name is not listed in the Topeka obituaries for the last week; assume he is still living.

I assumed the guy was driving like a bat out of hell, but maybe that wasn't the case after all. Even so, this is a real reminder of how dangerous cars - especially fast and powerful cars - can be at anytime. Be safe!

the hospital that they took him to is only a few blocks from where I work. My wife thought it was morbid and insensitive when I suggested a visit so that I could offer to buy his wrecked shelby at a good price. Even with fixing it, I would probably have a shelby sooner than things seem to be now.

oh well, I never claimed to be a real sensitive guy.

I should actually pay him a short visit and wish him well. Wrecking a new shelby has to be a real downer.

I assumed the guy was driving like a bat out of hell, but maybe that wasn't the case after all. Even so, this is a real reminder of how dangerous cars - especially fast and powerful cars - can be at anytime. Be safe!

Maybe it was like that episode in SPEED RACER :shift: ..... He was driving the (GRX motor ?) & got sick because of the speed the car produced & when he slowed down to 35 mph he lost control. Just a theory....

I should actually pay him a short visit and wish him well. Wrecking a new shelby has to be a real downer.

I find it disturbing that the optics of this would lead one to conclude that he was doing something foolish/illegal, and VERY few people will look further to discover that he was effectivly idleing(30mph) in a car that can exceed the effective speed limit on most highways in first gear. I submit that the fact that he is alive after whatever happened to him puts this entire "SHELBY/PSDS" thing in perspective. Perhaps a small donation to the heart and stroke foundation in his name would make both of you feel better. That sound bite mentality makes the rest of us look like the thread on "cruizer hooligans" that showed what can happen.

I would think being air lifted had more to do with his illness...

Sounds like he was proably having a stroke or a heartattack. My dad had a stroke while driving a few years back an woke up in a creek in his Blazer. But looking at the car I am guessing at most 25-30 probably even less since the two were moving.

this must make collecotor people very hapy.

man may be die but one less shelby.

shelby may be repairable, and hopefully the driver has a full recovery. I was going to go over lunch to see how he was doing, and then realized that the new privacy rules would keep me from even getting them to confirm he was there, much less giving me his room number or his condition.

I probably will try to check on him anyway tomorrow. I will report on findings.

I think you make a valid point that persons wrecking these cars or blowing up the engines will eventually whittle down the numbers, and maybe make it a collectable, give it 30 years or so. Its kinda like the guys who bought GI Joes (or whatever) when they were young and never removed them from the wrappings. The item may be a collectible, but I think that the collector is to be pitied. These cars should be driven and used & abused. Have some fun with them. It you want an investment, buy some good stock.

I've been a Shelby fan all my life, we're talking since the late 60's / early 70's when I wasn't even old enough for a hunting license, much less a driver's license.

I had a few Shelby books back then, mostly about the original Cobra's.

(From memory, 354 Big block production, 1158 total big block and Small block combined, something like that).

Anyway, I remember one of the books I had 30 years or so ago saying something to the effect of "25% of all Shelby's built never made it to the 1st payment".

I REALLY hope that is NOT the destiny of these cars and/or their driver's, particularly me included...

Here's hoping this gent makes a full recovery. Looking at the car, it can be fixed, the well-being of the driver should be the focus here.

He could be one of us.

Mike.

there's a thread somewhere on this board about the need for most shelby buyers to attend some type of driving school. That is a good recommendation. Back when I was a bit younger, I had a trans am with some get up and go (4 speed, headers, nitrous). Even after that experience, and a few other pretty fast cars, I have some concern about how well/correctly I will react when I push this car to its limits. I believe we all need to take it slow and easy when we first get our shelby, and make sure we really understand how the car will react. I would really like to see all of us stay alive and enjoy the car, not make the news for a wreck.

Ouch! That give me chills down mine spine. It looks like it could have been a lot worse.

Yes the bad news is he didn't finish himself off quietly on a country road. Fact is most people highly overrate thier own driving skills. The first thing at a proper driving school is forgeting all the bad habits and overconfidence(the really bad ones call it wisdom) you have "accumulated" driving amongst the sadly unskilled for so many years. I will commit right now to the belief that we will see at least 4 terrible crashes/deaths by the end of the year with this car. I'm telling you for the sake of your families,and my own, GO TO SCHOOL! I firmly believe that about 2% of all drivers are truly capable of respecting and using a machine like this safely.

Yes the bad news is he didn't finish himself off quietly on a country road. Fact is most people highly overrate thier own driving skills. The first thing at a proper driving school is forgeting all the bad habits and overconfidence(the really bad ones call it wisdom) you have "accumulated" driving amongst the sadly unskilled for so many years. I will commit right now to the belief that we will see at least 4 terrible crashes/deaths by the end of the year with this car. I'm telling you for the sake of your families,and my own, GO TO SCHOOL! I firmly believe that about 2% of all drivers are truly capable of respecting and using a machine like this safely.

I totally agree. I consider myself a good driver and I've driven several powerful cars, but I KNOW I'm not prepared for this car. First thing I'm doing is signing my wife and myself up for a class.

Anyone know of any good performance driving schools in the Denver area?

Anyone know of any good performance driving schools in the Denver area?

As good a time as any to repost this. Edmunds.com/driving schools by state and province By no means complete but good start nonetheless. And if Ford realizes its mistake, the SVT Owners Association used to put on comprehensive clinics and driving instruction days with people who where familiar with the COBRA's, Lightnings, Contours and Focus.

I'll second that thought, my prayers are with the gentleman and his family

As good a time as any to repost this. Edmunds.com/driving schools by state and province By no means complete but good start nonetheless. And if Ford realizes its mistake, the SVT Owners Association used to put on comprehensive clinics and driving instruction days with people who where familiar with the COBRA's, Lightnings, Contours and Focus.

Day-um. Everything in North Carolina is racing oriented.

JB

• 2 weeks later...

The Shelby mention is to add some meat to the story. Mustang=bad, Shelby Mustang=even worse...because of thier capabilities. If it bleeds, it leads as they say in journalism school. These accidents happen every day and there is no mention or care of the vehicle make/model involved. Truth of the matter is that the car made little difference in this story...but that is a boring story. The accident would have happened in any vehicle, was probably the result of a medical condition and I might even venture that the GT500's beefed up suspension may even provide more control over a vehicle in general...compared to a corolla doing 55 mph around an off ramp.

All in all a very sad story as the loss of a life and fine automobile being the result.

Driving instruction is given and tested in every state of the union... common sense and the proper use of your vehicle of choice is learned by experience.

Archived