TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ramps To Raise SGT For Underside Access

clark17357

Now that I have my car I can see how low it is. My trusty 2-ton jack will not slip under it. I do not want to build ramps out of wood. It is heavy and does not have the design needed to make sure a disaster does not happen. The commercial ramps (see below) cost some serious coin but so would a mishap trying to get a SGT off the ground. Still, I am continually impressed with what you folks who have owed these cars for a while think about "how to" questions.

I have done some homework and found three different ramps for low clearance cars like ours.

These (http://www.discountramps.com/sports_car_ramps.htm) are made out of aluminum and, although pricy, appear to be the best of the bunch if you are trying to get the front or back of the car off the ground.

These (http://www.raceramps.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=1&bc=no) are made out of some kind of synthetic material and are a bit less expensive and would also be used to get the front or back of the car off the ground.

These (http://item.express.ebay.com/Vehicle-Parts-Accessories_Automotive-Tools__NEW-COMPOSITE-PLASTIC-CAR-AUTOMOTIVE-RAMPS-STANDS-LIFT_W0QQitemZ330176822143QQihZ014QQddnZVehicleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadnZAutomotiveQ20ToolsQQptdiZ2871QQddiZ1168QQcmdZExpressItem) are made out of synthetic material and are inexpensive would be perfect for getting you the clearance needed to use your jack. Race Ramps also makes something like this.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. Jim

All you have to do is lay two 3' long 2x4's in front of a standard ramp and drive up on the 2x4 then the ramp. I do it all the time.

Cheap way , but works !!!!!!!! :D

ramps

more ramps

Sorry, could not get third one to be a link i guess

ramps3

These are the same urls as above I just turned them into links. Jim, buddy, hope you dont mind. Your friend Chris

Right way !!!!!!!!! :D

I just drive it up onto 1.5" thick boards then my standard jack will fill under it.

Wal Mart sells a low profile,(3.3 inch clearance) for 68.00. The jack is sold under the name of BlackJack and NASCAR. It is a 6,000 pound floor jack. I have already bought towels to put on the jack stand so as to not scratch where I will place the jack under the frame.

I tried some store bought ramps, but they didn't work - approach angle to steep. I really didn't want to go the 2 x 4 route as it seemed to defeat the purpose. (call me crazy or lazy) I did some measuring and figure a 10-degree approach slope willl work, so that's what I'm looking for. If I can't find any, I'll get my neighbor to build me a set.

Walmart sells these "Rhino" ramps and I put a 2X10 in front of them and this allows the front end of my GT/CS to clear. This method also works on my GT500.

Very nice ramps. I got mine from walmart and only paid about $35. Havent used them for the SGT yet.

Very nice ramps. I got mine from walmart and only paid about $35. Havent used them for the SGT yet.

I know that the SGT is a little lower than a GT/CS so you might want to have a spotter to make sure she doesn't rub. My GT/CS has the same frontend bumper as your SGT.

When I tried the GT/CS for the first time with out the 2X10, it almost made it, but my wife said it was too close. The 2X10 gave it a 1 inch clearance. Let us know how it works.

th_GT-CSoilchange004.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I bought Rhino Ramps and they would not work. The bottom of the front fascia touched the ramps before the tires made it to the incline of the ramp. I didn't try the 2X4 trick in fear that it might slide.

I might just build my own, check out this site: http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/index.htm

Let me know what you think.

Good luck...Joe

where's the jacking points under the SGT if i need to change a flat on the road?

maybe some pics or illustration if u have one

btw i orderd a full size wheel and tire. just picked it up today. had the tire mounted and balanced. sits in the trunk nicely on the carpet part. i still have the tire "goo" undernieth in the donut well.

just need the "Wal-Mart special" low profile jack :)

what if u have a flat though...the flat will make the car sag even lower :unsure:

Tha Race Ramps I have are made from a stiff foam so I found another piece of 3" thick foam that is relatively stiff and I carry it in my trunk. If I get t flat I drive up on the foam and then use the standard Ford scissors jack to get underneath.

It works and is very light (12x12x3 foam).

Archived