TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New hood pin set flawed.

SGT2666

I'm having a difficult time getting mine to fit. There is a pretty serious and obvious design flaw in the new pins. The hole through the cover plates should have been drilled to correct for the angle of the hood where the plates are mounted. These things can't ever fit well with out opening up the hole somewhere. The pins enter at the front of the hood but end up hitting at the back as it closes. Its a pity they are so nice looking but so fatally flawed. How did you guys make them fit ?

I don't think they ever fit "perfectly". But, if you take your time, I think they fit well enough.

The studs didn't fit my new plates very well either. I removed the studs and had to slot the holes in the black bracket to center the studs in the plates. I tweaked the plates a bit for a best fit of the pins in their channels.

I hope that helps...

I don't think they ever fit "perfectly". But, if you take your time, I think they fit well enough.

The studs didn't fit my new plates very well either. I removed the studs and had to slot the holes in the black bracket to center the studs in the plates. I tweaked the plates a bit for a best fit of the pins in their channels.

I hope that helps...

i had about 6 hours in to mine and just let the pin go through above the slot. i was told they where made for the hertz hood that is more flat.

i had about 6 hours in to mine and just let the pin go through above the slot. i was told they where made for the hertz hood that is more flat.

Well if thats the case the should specify that before they sell them. I see they have them stock on the 08 GT I wonder if its the same design. I'm always skeptical of aftermarket hardware I had hoped that Shelby had they're stuff together guess not :angry:

Its probably not the pins because I have them on mine. Try turning the plastic piece that goes under the new billet piece 180* it gives the pin more room .

This is the key I figured it out on my second attempt at getting these installed. The plastic piece the sticks up in to the plates must be oriented correctly for the proper fit. Once I figured this out the install wasn't to bad, I did have to open the hole in the hood a bit on one side. In the end I was able to get a nice clean fit with the pins centered like I wanted. My initial impression was not correct I became frustrated so I walked away and when I came back it went together much better. This was not the simple install I expected.

This is the key I figured it out on my second attempt at getting these installed. The plastic piece the sticks up in to the plates must be oriented correctly for the proper fit. Once I figured this out the install wasn't to bad, I did have to open the hole in the hood a bit on one side. In the end I was able to get a nice clean fit with the pins centered like I wanted. My initial impression was not correct I became frustrated so I walked away and when I came back it went together much better. This was not the simple install I expected.

Wado, got any pictures of the install. im interested in these also

You owned that install after you set it down and came back to it ;) . One thing though, would you do this again if you did not know what you know now?

For reference, I pinched a photo from one of eBay's 2008 cars. So the plates have been installed by SAI. The alignment looks much better than when I did mine. <_< <_<

So, maybe I haven't adjusted them properly. Well, nothing else to do today, so I'll try again....... :lol:

As posted in another thread, the black plates supplied with the new kit ARE different than the ones that came with the car. I just took one off and compared them. The new ones have the stud hole positioned further away from the two mounting holes by about 3/16 inch.

So replace the brackets, too.

Wado, got any pictures of the install. im interested in these also

not very good I'm afraid wheather here is shite so indoor time :)

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

You owned that install after you set it down and came back to it ;) . One thing though, would you do this again if you did not know what you know now?

Sure just be ready for a little bit of a project. I tend to be a little anal about such things so maybe not so bad for others :)

Yeah I'm with ya there, sometimes you just have to walk away for awhile and when you come back everything goes according to plan. I installed my set in about an hour and a half, I took my time. I used the old brackets and mine too didn't line up right so I just bent them a tad and they fit perfect. Now after I read this I see someone said that the brackest are different, no wonder they didn't fit, although they look good now!

So are the new version of the hood pins less susceptible to damage, in the event that the hood is opened while pins are still in place?

You won't have the scratched plate issues anymore but the hood is fairly soft so you could still damage the hood.

I replaced mine this weekend with the new Shelby pins. Only took about an hour. The only issue I ran into was getting the posts the right height. They needed to be raised. After a few attempts all was good. Everything else lined up perfectly.

They look good. Much better than the original ones and should be less likely to damage.

I read a road test where they had a pin come out on a rough road, they were not impressed. I put a twist in the cable to maintain a little pressure in the right direction to keep them latched on the stockers. The new ones have a swivel which is a nice touch but you can't use them for tension anymore.

My stock/OEM hood pins suck. Both spring clips keep popping ot of tension, and the hood pins have come out while driving. Thankfully, no real damage. Anyone have this problem?

The torsion ring is easily fixable with two sets of pliers. I had the same problem and it took all of 5 minutes to readjust the tension. Never had the problem with them popping off again. All you have to do is make the ring a little smaller. One edge needs to overlap the other in it's "resting" position. The end that rests on top needs to go into the upper hole on the pin. Then you have to force the ends back into the holes on the pin itself but the problem is solved.

Archived