TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Hood Pin Questions

pagerart

I just received my new and improved hood pins from Shelby Performance. Am I the only one that didn't get instructions or do the all come that way? Does everything need to be changed? I tried leaving in the old posts, but i didn't like the way the pins laid. I changed to the new posts, but it really doesn't seem much better. I have not changed the locking pins or the plates the posts mount to. So far the pins don't seem to lay in the groove like I hoped they would. Anybody have a better experience?

You really need to change the posts too. They're machined billet like the plates and just look better. As far as the pins not laying flat, that's because while the posts are somewhat perpendicular to the ground, the hood slopes, therefore the pins will be higher on one side then the other.

You really need to change the posts too. They're machined billet like the plates and just look better. As far as the pins not laying flat, that's because while the posts are somewhat perpendicular to the ground, the hood slopes, therefore the pins will be higher on one side then the other.

I did finally change the posts, I just haven't changed the bblack plates. Are they any different than the ones on the car from Shelby? Thanks for any help.

I change everything except the black mounting brackets, on mine the new pins were larger than the posts, and my old posts had started to rust so I changed evrything. Also, I left alittle tension on the hood so the pins fit tight and won't shake loose. All you have to do is push ever so lighty down on the hood and they slide right out.

I'm having a difficult time getting mine to fit. There is a pretty serious and obvious design flaw in the new pins. The hole through the cover plates should have been drilled to correct for the angle of the hood where the plates are mounted. These things can't ever fit well with out opening up the hole somewhere. The pins enter at the front of the hood but end up hitting at the back as it closes. Its a pity they are so nice looking but so fatally flawed. How did you guys make them fit ?

I had to adjust the rods so they would be centered into the holes ,they were hitting the sides of the holes in the hood , I never slam the hood down just in case the rods weren't aligned , or you'll bend the hood !! , Also the circular snap rings kept popping out of the little holes in the actual pin , I just got newer thicker rings with more tension on them , Another trick I did was, get some clear drain hose the size of the pin and cut a half inch piece and slide it on each end of the pin ,so they don't move from side to side . If you want to open the hood just slide the outer clear hose off ,and then pull the pin out . And it looks good ,cause you really can't see the clear hose !

I had to adjust the rods so they would be centered into the holes ,they were hitting the sides of the holes in the hood , I never slam the hood down just in case the rods weren't aligned , or you'll bend the hood !! , Also the circular snap rings kept popping out of the little holes in the actual pin , I just got newer thicker rings with more tension on them , Another trick I did was, get some clear drain hose the size of the pin and cut a half inch piece and slide it on each end of the pin ,so they don't move from side to side . If you want to open the hood just slide the outer clear hose off ,and then pull the pin out . And it looks good ,cause you really can't see the clear hose !

i had the same problem with a tension ring on one of my original pins...i just had to take some pliers and bend it a little for it to stay in the little pin holes better...still pops out if i mess with it too much but it holds good for the road. never had it pop loose. ~knock on wood~

i had the same problem with a tension ring on one of my original pins...i just had to take some pliers and bend it a little for it to stay in the little pin holes better...still pops out if i mess with it too much but it holds good for the road. never had it pop loose. ~knock on wood~

the black plates are different,i tryed to do it without changing them and when it did not work,shelby told me the plates are different and when i checked they are 100% different.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the original hood pins last Saturday. It took several hours and I had to use a dremel to grind out the post holes some.The looks of the new Shelby logo hood pin kit is so much better looking than the original. If you haven't done these yet I highly recommend doing them.

Archived