TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Car Show Questions??

clink_merged

Hello out there, B)

Besides having a very clean car, what do I need for the show this Sunday. In some of your pictures I have seen Framed posters and Guitars. Does it help to have these kind of items? I bought both scaled down models should I take them and put them on a little table. I have saved everything from e-mails to window stickers and have these in a 3 ringed binder in plastic sheets, Do I need these for the judges to look at? Or is just having the shinny new car going to be good enough? :)

any suggestions?

Clink

Dave C would really be the expert on this I think...........

I had my 1:18 diecast Black SGT to match the car on one side of the dash and my signed visor (still not reinstalled) on the other side.........got lots of comments.

And as much as you will want to show off your "under the hood goodies"...I find that the profile of the car with hood down really blows them away..........when you see a SGT next to a GT500, YOU SEE HOW MUCH THE LOWERED STANCE OF THE SGT LOOKS BETTER......so will they!!~

then again, will all that beautiful stuff under the hood, you may want to split time with hood up/down.

Hello out there, B)

Besides having a very clean car, what do I need for the show this Sunday. In some of your pictures I have seen Framed posters and Guitars. Does it help to have these kind of items? I bought both scaled down models should I take them and put them on a little table. I have saved everything from e-mails to window stickers and have these in a 3 ringed binder in plastic sheets, Do I need these for the judges to look at? Or is just having the shinny new car going to be good enough? :)

any suggestions?

Clink

Here is my car show must haves that should be in a bag with you:

1. California Duster (wipe through the day as needed)

2. Detail spray and micro fiber cloth of your choice

3. Windex and paper towels

4. Tire shine of your choice

6. Fold out chair (one for each person)

7. Cooler with water, soda, etc.

8. Good book or mustang magazines etc.

As for items in addition to a clean exterior make sure the engine area is clean as well. Shine the rubber/black plastic. Especially around the break fluid container where overflow is typical. Remember the hood will be up a majority of the time.

The three ring binder you can set on the plastic radiator fan cover under the hood.

The diecast I am always afraid will walk off and have placed it on the center console or not brought it at all.

Keep the car looking good and VERY clean in and out. It's less about the "STUFF" and more about the car. The posters etc., are like jewelry just enough and not too much.

I've won 2 firsts, a class winner, and a Top 20 NMHRA trophy so far.

then again, will all that beautiful stuff under the hood, you may want to split time with hood up/down.

Depending on the show this may not be an option. Judges come around when ever and sometimes, if you're walking around, you won't even know they were there! So leaving the hood up a majority of the time will be the rule. I usually drop the hood after judging in known to be complete, but again a lot will depend on the show and so far over a summer I've found no two are alike!

I just make sure my car is very clean...I also stand around and to talk to the judges or participants (if it's a partipants choice event). Tell them everything about the car, open and close the hood/trunk just be very accomidating (sp). My Shelby had two first place and one 4th place showings this summer. Did I mention a CLEAN CAR!!! LOL Good Luck to ya!

Matt's list is right on. I have a framed poster of the black and white Shelby GT which I put in front of the car. I have a copy of the Shelby upgrades with the poster. So many people don't know what these cars really are. I also have a banner which is a replica of the dash plaque, my CSM#, that I put on the front windshield. There will be a lot of people ask questions.

Having been a judge in the RI Corvette Club here is what we would look for and how I have displayed my cars at all shows:

1. Detail, details make the difference, all things equal it will be the person who dusted the air vents, cleaned the inside of the windshield better, streaking and condition of the glass, door gaskets, trunk gaskets, engine compartmet etc. This is uaually a tie breaker.

2. Paint finish, gloss , swirls and hazing

3. Emblems, detail around any window molding, door handles, gas cap areas look for wax dust or build up. A Black car takes much more work than a white car, white cars are lazy man's detail cars. They hide a lot. (That's for you Matt :P ).

4. Tire and wheel dressings, evenly applied, no smearing on wheel edges etc. Some have even removed all stones from the visible tire threads and applied dressing to the showing thread surface.

5. Wheel wells, sand, dirt and splatter from road debris

That's a few. All in all when we looked at the other "stuff" the only things that mattered were, if it was a restoration, documentation of the restoration, in book form with photos. And finally original documentation.

Matt covered the essentials of what you would need very well. I carry a complete detail kit in the trunk. Q-tips, soft bristle horse hair brushes, quick detail spray, window cleaner w/lint free wipes, tire dressing, I always to that AT the show, never before, tar and bug remover, Cali Duster, several micro-fiber cloths of different colors, old baby diapers and some rags for the heavy wheel well cleaning. Sounds like a lot, but if I enter a show, it's to win. But I not right anyway! :blink:

Not bad for a white car. LOL

:angry: You act as if I have an issue with black SGTs!!!

A Black car takes much more work than a white car, white cars are lazy man's detail cars. They hide a lot. (That's for you Matt :P ).

You guys are REALLY starting to P+I+S+S me off! :angry:

Haven't I always shown black car owners love?!?!?! Heck I had two of them in my home at the cookout! They were welcome! I've been telling everyone I have no issue with black SGTs that I even have two black SGT friends as proof! <_<

OK here's the main thing about a car show. Placement in the right class is important. For instance, I won a 2nd place trophy this past weekend. I was in a class with two cars!!!!!! D*A*M*N Parnelli 302 beat me out .

YEP 2nd place is first loser!!!!

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

So you want to show a car? This is going to be a long one. A lot of it was already mentioned, but I'm going to go over how I approach a car show. I've been exhibiting plants for years to British standards and they're quite anal. As am I. :lol: It's all in the little details. I take the approach that it's going to be a tie. When I've judged cars before, the little details, dirt, dust could make or break you. First is always better than second.

1. Get there early, if possible, park the car in the most advantageous spot. I like to park next to the best car in my class, when possible. If they're going to compare cars let them sit side by side.

2. Make sure your brake upgrades(caliper) are visible and very clean. Tires are clean and tire dressing applied evenly.

3. The hood should be up. If the hood is down it looks like you're trying to hide something. The motor compartment is what will make or break you. Nooks and crannies must be cleaned. I like to use liquid ice detail spray. You can put it on paint, plastic, rubber and metal, leaves no residue. Make sure bottom side of hood is clean. No finger prints.

4. Interior...Lint and dirt free on mats. Slide seats as far back as possible, both seats same upright position to show off mats. Driver and passenger windows down all the way(weather permitting).

5. Make sure the windows are clean, inside and outside. Inside is very difficult. I found a cloth at an autoparts store made specifically for glass, works great and is streak free and leaves no lint. No fingerprints left on steering wheel, rear view mirror, stereo, etc. When opening and closing the doors, hood and trunk use a microfiber cloth or cotton diaper.

6. Trunk...I like to have it empty. Leaving trunk lid ajar so if people ask to look in it you can lift it and they see the Carroll Shelby mat, which looks quite nice. With a matching Shelby GT/SC fire extinguisher , which is sometimes a requirement in a MCA sponsored show. Keep detail supplys in a five gallon bucket with a lid, black of course, then it can double as your end table next to your chair. I like to see chairs that match the car, but again I'm anal.

Depending on how the car is judged, by the participants, unknown judges and possible general public for peoples choice, stay with car to answer questions. I've overheard people saying "this is a modified car", so you do have to educate people that this was the way the car was delivered, because people will compare it to a GT500, or think it is. So if there is a GT500, park next to it if possible. Don't be over zealous in getting people to vote for your car. It's like begging and is quite annoying. This car holds it own quite well. I've meet some really cool people at car shows and meet some jerks that can't or don't control their kids. You politely say, please don't touch. We don't have a board of any sort yet, waiting for final production numbers, colors options, etc. Paperwork is nice, but be well organized. Just because the car was clean when you left your house, go over the whole car again after you get parked.

Obviously if you are at a car show the goal is to hopefully win, but your also there to have fun and talk to the people about your car.

Good luck, have fun and shine, shine and shine some more B) . Pics below are some accessories.

Dave

post-5172-1147382213_thumb.jpg

Ummm....where did you get the chairs??!!

:rolleyes:

Brian, We had these custom made, if I told you I'd have to kill you. LOL> Pretty cool, huh? BUT I think Shelby ought to check into getting these made for ALL to buy. I would like to see Shelby GT products such as chairs, coats, hats, umbrellas, ice chests or even stickers or patches to apply on stuff. It just gives these cars that finishing touch. Speaking of cars, is your baby still on the museum floor? getting ready for mod shop. If I remember right you're coming back next month? Won't be long now. You're gonna love your car.

Be safe, take care,

Dave

Hello everyone!

Here are my thoughts:

1. Clean / Detailed car.

2. Hood-up (or judges will walk right by) NOTE: The Shelby engine bay dress-up kit gets lots of positive comments!

3. I've typed up an 8.5" x 11" description of the Shelby GT. It discusses how the car is sent from Ford to Shelby in Las Vegas; it is a numbered (limited edition) car, unlike the SGT500 [grin], etc.

4. I am personable with anyone looking at the car. I ask folks if they would like to know anything about the car and/or Shelby Autos, etc.

NOTE: I've noticed that the SGT is a consistent favorite of young kids! "Dude, this is the car I'd want to own;" "Your car is bad-ass - if I could pick any car here today, I'd want this one;" etc. So when a 10 year old is drooling over the car - or even taking pictures, etc......I simply ask him if he would like to sit in the driver's seat and let me take a picture with him in the car!"

Man, let me tell you - not only does the kid go nuts, so too does his parents. I find it a classy thing to do...and something that the young kids will NEVER forget. Also gives them something to bragg about with their friends. I find this sort of thing really fun.

5. I do have a 1/18" scale die-cast of the 1966 SGT 350. I show people the similarities between our 2007 SGT and this car, i.e. hood scoop, spoiler-delete, side scoop, etc. I even bought a custom wood steering wheel for my SGT to be even more authentic to the '66 design.

6. This summer: 4 out of 4 1st Place awards when entering shows that had any kind of Shelby Class!

In all cases, I try to have fun. I've also learned a great deal about Mustangs in general by asking lots of questions of others' cars!

Good Luck!

Shelby019.jpg

100_2991.jpg

trophy001.jpg

100_3181.jpg

100_3013.jpg

Brian, We had these custom made, if I told you I'd have to kill you. LOL> Pretty cool, huh? BUT I think Shelby ought to check into getting these made for ALL to buy. I would like to see Shelby GT products such as chairs, coats, hats, umbrellas, ice chests or even stickers or patches to apply on stuff. It just gives these cars that finishing touch. Speaking of cars, is your baby still on the museum floor? getting ready for mod shop. If I remember right you're coming back next month? Won't be long now. You're gonna love your car.

Be safe, take care,

Dave

Brian, when Dave PM's you the info, don't tell anybody but if you don't mind, please tell me too. LOL

Just kidding. Great post Dave. Thanks for the awesome tips. I won one of my trophy's (a Tasca trophy to boot) even with spots in the engine compartment. The only thing is that I don't know who's more anal, you or Roger. LOL.

BC, more great info. Love the kid/pic idea. Over the winter, I am going to write up an FAQ-type document as well and have it laminated and framed.

I'm 3 for 2 on the trophy's. One of the shows wasn't really fair as there weren't many cars to compare, but I got a judge's choice from that show too.

So you want to show a car? This is going to be a long one. A lot of it was already mentioned, but I'm going to go over how I approach a car show. I've been exhibiting plants for years to British standards and they're quite anal. As am I. :lol: It's all in the little details. I take the approach that it's going to be a tie. When I've judged cars before, the little details, dirt, dust could make or break you. First is always better than second.

1. Get there early, if possible, park the car in the most advantageous spot. I like to park next to the best car in my class, when possible. If they're going to compare cars let them sit side by side.

2. Make sure your brake upgrades(caliper) are visible and very clean. Tires are clean and tire dressing applied evenly.

3. The hood should be up. If the hood is down it looks like you're trying to hide something. The motor compartment is what will make or break you. Nooks and crannies must be cleaned. I like to use liquid ice detail spray. You can put it on paint, plastic, rubber and metal, leaves no residue. Make sure bottom side of hood is clean. No finger prints.

4. Interior...Lint and dirt free on mats. Slide seats as far back as possible, both seats same upright position to show off mats. Driver and passenger windows down all the way(weather permitting).

5. Make sure the windows are clean, inside and outside. Inside is very difficult. I found a cloth at an autoparts store made specifically for glass, works great and is streak free and leaves no lint. No fingerprints left on steering wheel, rear view mirror, stereo, etc. When opening and closing the doors, hood and trunk use a microfiber cloth or cotton diaper.

6. Trunk...I like to have it empty. Leaving trunk lid ajar so if people ask to look in it you can lift it and they see the Carroll Shelby mat, which looks quite nice. With a matching Shelby GT/SC fire extinguisher , which is sometimes a requirement in a MCA sponsored show. Keep detail supplys in a five gallon bucket with a lid, black of course, then it can double as your end table next to your chair. I like to see chairs that match the car, but again I'm anal.

Depending on how the car is judged, by the participants, unknown judges and possible general public for peoples choice, stay with car to answer questions. I've overheard people saying "this is a modified car", so you do have to educate people that this was the way the car was delivered, because people will compare it to a GT500, or think it is. So if there is a GT500, park next to it if possible. Don't be over zealous in getting people to vote for your car. It's like begging and is quite annoying. This car holds it own quite well. I've meet some really cool people at car shows and meet some jerks that can't or don't control their kids. You politely say, please don't touch. We don't have a board of any sort yet, waiting for final production numbers, colors options, etc. Paperwork is nice, but be well organized. Just because the car was clean when you left your house, go over the whole car again after you get parked.

Obviously if you are at a car show the goal is to hopefully win, but your also there to have fun and talk to the people about your car.

Good luck, have fun and shine, shine and shine some more B) . Pics below are some accessories.

Dave

post-5172-1147382213_thumb.jpg

Looking good Dave, That looks like Bowen Scarf Ford :D

Great job, Guys and Gals,

Great responses from all of you, I appreciate the help.

This will be fun. I did forget one thing before signing up for this show. We are going anyway. I am having surgery on th inside of my nose Friday and the show is Sunday <_< , Wish me luck if anyone asks me Questions as I try to stay in the background hidding my snooz. :unsure: I just could not pass this one up with the backdrop of the Bay. I will get plenty of pics to post.

Thanks again,

David (Clink) :)

Great job, Guys and Gals,

Great responses from all of you, I appreciate the help.

This will be fun. I did forget one thing before signing up for this show. We are going anyway. I am having surgery on th inside of my nose Friday and the show is Sunday <_< , Wish me luck if anyone asks me Questions as I try to stay in the background hidding my snooz. :unsure: I just could not pass this one up with the backdrop of the Bay. I will get plenty of pics to post.

Thanks again,

David (Clink) :)

WISH I COULD GO.

Archived