TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Some interesting quotes...

JETSOLVER

Thanks for the link...it's an interesting article. It's a little schizophrenic, though. For example, it says the financial difficulty of the automakers might mean the money is not available for this type of product development. But then it implies the development of these vehicles is important to the auto companies because of their enormous influence and headline-grabbing ability. So which is it...are these made for the profitability of the vehicle itself or as a driver of other sales? It can be both, of course. But if they are profitable in and of themselves, then allocation of resources isn't such a crap shoot.

I think it is true that the development of cars like the GT is finished at American manufacturers....at least for now. It's very expensive to develop and doesn't appear to drive enough sales. Cars like the GT500, though, are just getting on a roll. And they make sense: based on a cheap platform with development costs amortized over hundreds of thousands of units, these cars are likely very profitable.

And the notion that the baby-boomers are near retirement and may not be so interested in these cars is misleading at best. Remember, the last of the "boomers" were born in 1964...so a good 20 years worth of boomers are in their prime earning years and ready to feel like kids again.

I think it is true that the market for gas-hogging muscle cars is limited in breadth and time. But I'm fairly convinced a strong market will be around for a number of years...long enough to see meaningful competition for the GT500 from DC and GM. Good times are here again.

Guest evilchris

Ford dealers killed the Ford GT, not Ford. They held out for $300,000 per car for A YEAR and MANY buyers went offin disgust and bought something Italian. Ford would have sold twice as many GT's had dealers not acted like the stealerships they are.

Hmmmm.

Maybe I take the 1st GT500 I have ordered, and offer the stealership to keep the second one if they give me their 1st Boss at MSRP.

Nah... Still a crap-shoot if they will build it.

But then again...

My guess is the GT500 will be around for year 2, maybe 25-50 HP more just so they can show "improvement" for the new model year and re-generate the buzz, but then afterward they will hit the other "classic" models like the Boss when the new body comes out.

And we'll start this whole "collector" hype battle all over again.

They might be thinking ahead in Dearborn more than we all "think".

Mike.

PS - "gas hogging" ?

What are you and your's driving now, may I ask?

I guess gas hogging is a relative term...

But, with respect to that, why shouldn't individuals drive whatever they want? More mileage, less mileage...all a personal decision driven (primarily) by financial considerations. My other posts make portray me as a free-market kind of guy...and that's how I feel about gas-hogging cars: it's a free market. If you want one, get one. And if enough want one, they will build them. I'm in the "want one" group...specifically, a GT500.

If, as a society, we wish to change our fuel consumption habits, the answer is simple: make fuel more expensive. No complex energy policy needed (...I don't think the US has ever had a comprehensive energy policy anyway).

Currently, I have an Expedition (talk about a hog) and my wife has a Highlander (ever more eco-minded than me, she insisted on getting a 4 cyl.).

RE: credentials and qualifications, maybe I read you question wrong, but I'm not sure what you're asking. If it's whether I have industry-specific knowledge, the answer is no. If it's whether I have economic-specific knowledge, the answer is yes--by education and profession.

Back on the gas deal, what's funnier than folks driving a Prius? Well, almost nothing. And this has nothing to do with a 'damn the environment' attitude. I figure a Prius is less functional than a Honda Civic for +/-$8,000 more money. And it gets marginally better mileage. If people buying a Prius really cared about the environment, then they would buy a Civic and use the $8k they saved to buy 8 old polluting clunkers and have them crushed. Talk about a better use of resources. But the Prius isn't about the environment, it's about status. True story: a friend of mine was debating whether to buy a Prius or a BMW 750. Hmm. What's the common denominator between those two cars? Oh yeah, that would be status. It certainly isn't the environment.

I do see a bright side to the Prius...the demand for the Prius (and cars like it) will finance the development of more efficient vehicles. And, all things considered, that's a good thing. But I don't think that's why joe blow buys one.

Archived