TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby/Paxton SC dyno results and Videos

clawsonbob

Shelby/Paxton SC dyno results and Videos

After a lot of learning curve time ( three-four weeks in shop) , I finally have my SAI Paxton install and other mods complete. My goals were to equal or exceed GT500 numbers (500 hp, 480 ft lb at crank) and the SGT/FRR/Whipple set up ( 500 hp and 470 ft lbs at crank). As we all know our cars are about 400 lbs lighter than the GT500, I figured that by hitting the above hp/trq numbers ( coupled with less weight ) the car would produce the performance I wanted. My reasons also included retaining the Shelby/Paxton provenance & keeping the tower strut in place ( have cake & eat it too).

My approach was " more flow vs. high boost". I believe the GT500 runs 9 lbs boost, the FRR/Whipple SGT setup about 11 lbs. My boost ended up peaking at 9.5 lbs. I wanted to keep boost down, run 93 oct pump gas and others objectives listed above. I started with the standard (included) SAI/Paxton upgrades ( 39lb fuel injectors, dual fuel pumps, water to air intercooler) . The Pros at Finish Line Performance in Naperville IL, shared with me the results they were getting on a new Roush car they were working on. The key, it seemed, was in freeing up the back-end a bit more with top notch full length headers and hi-flow cats . In the end, I believed this is what allowed FLP to get what we wanted out of the 3 valve 4.6 while keeping boost levels reasonable. So I gambled a little ( I thought) and added the rather pricey full length DynaTech headers ( approx $1300 + the unbolt-the engine-install)) and their x pipe with high-flow cats. I kept the SAI SGT mufflers intact for now.

While the torque isn' t as rpm-low as the FRR/Whipple peak, we did manage to meet /exceed all the above goals.

Using a 15% est drive line loss, (divide rear wheel data by .85), the DynoJet results and video of last two ( total of four pulls) are below. FYI...conditions were hotter than usual in Chicago last friday, 85-86 f and muggy ( 90+%- it rained just before last two pulls) and using 93 oct Shell pump gas. (Note the rwhp & rwtrq data below is not corrected for temp/humidity....multiply by 1.02 for corrected data). Car only has approx 700 gentle miles on it.

Base run with SAI SC ( including DynaTech. headers and hi flow cats) but with included Diablo predator SAI/Paxton tune

414 rwhp ( est 487 hp crank)

394 rwtq (est 463 lbs at crank)

As Shelby lists the SC kit at 465 hp, this seems about right ( given I have added the full length headers & hi flow cats)

With Custom FLP tune (semi-final state), the results were

451 rwhp ( est 530 hp crank)

422 rwtq (est 496 lbs at crank)

video of pull

With final FLP tune, otimized for headers/cats/sc mods & drivability

457.5 rwhp ( est 538 hp crank)

421.9 rwtq (est 496 lbs at crank)

video of last pull

Torque and HP curves were as smooth as I have hoped for......no real valleys/peaks. Driveability is 100%.

I regretably missed the Midwest gathering at Matts last weekend as car was still being worked by Finish Line Performance in Naperville, Illinois. Dan, Mitch and Dave at FLP are truly pros and get my highest marks for knoweledge, professionalism, care with vehicle, quality of work & fabrication ( the kit does just NOT bolt on...some fabrication is needed)

I may add Comp Cam/springs and Coast one piece aluminum drive shaft after tires/brakes are decided, but not sure.

I learned a lot from this and will be glad to share if anyone wants more info.....make sure you get car reflashed to stock Ford tune BEFORE any such work begins...it will save you a lot of trouble.

And I kept the tower strut....pics later this week

VERY cool! Can't wait to see it in the spring! Maybe you'll lets us drive? :)

Absolutely !!....its the least I can do for missing the Car-ba-que .

Very well posted. Please let me inquire, was this SC installed @ SAI or did you have the SC installed for you somewhere else?

Very impressive.

Swede,

I did not want to wait for mod shop schedule ( seemed kinda long & uncertain) and living in Chicago area, location was an issue as well.

I purchased the Shelby/Paxton Supercharger kit ( serial # CS0016) and had SC kit, headers, cats , tuning and DynoJet work done by Finish Line Performance in Naperville, IL "www.flp2win.com". as noted in post, they were doing a Roush car at the time I was talking with them, and the quality of work, fabrication and results were all AAA+++.

Please feel free to contact me if you want any additional info

bob

Swede,

I did not want to wait for mod shop schedule ( seemed kinda long & uncertain) and living in Chicago area, location was an issue as well.

I purchased the Shelby/Paxton Supercharger kit ( serial # CS0016) and had SC kit, headers, cats , tuning and DynoJet work done by Finish Line Performance in Naperville, IL "www.flp2win.com". as noted in post, they were doing a Roush car at the time I was talking with them, and the quality of work, fabrication and results were all AAA+++.

Please feel free to contact me if you want any additional info

bob

Bob-

All in all I think that was a good choice to go with the Shelby-Paxon SC as a mod. I really wonder what exactly the GT/SC stripe will have as a potential Shelby Register issue. I mean you installed the exact same SC as they use, through an upscale dealer, all dyno work completed as scheculed, I think thats OK. You know Shelby though will say "we did not do it" but they will also say "the exact parts were purchased from us and installed to our specs" so you should be as good as gold there.

I am very upset that I was not able to order my car with the SC on it, I am ready to buy another one just to get it done. That being said though my car would take such a strong hit in the price it would not be worth it. So I may go your route, as I need/want the power, the car just deserves it. ;)

Bob-

All in all I think that was a good choice to go with the Shelby-Paxon SC as a mod. I really wonder what exactly the GT/SC stripe will have as a potential Shelby Register issue. I mean you installed the exact same SC as they use, through an upscale dealer, all dyno work completed as scheculed, I think thats OK. You know Shelby though will say "we did not do it" but they will also say "the exact parts were purchased from us and installed to our specs" so you should be as good as gold there.

I am very upset that I was not able to order my car with the SC on it, I am ready to buy another one just to get it done. That being said though my car would take such a strong hit in the price it would not be worth it. So I may go your route, as I need/want the power, the car just deserves it. ;)

Swede,

I wrestled with the all the same issues....( registry, SC stripe , provenance of non-sai install etc). I guess I figure its gonna be quite a few years ( if ever) before any appreciation overtakes the depreciation and mean time, I just wanted to enjoy the car more. I really preferred the look/performance of a FR/Whipple or KB unit, but really couldn't live without the shelby-ism and the strut brace, Now that I got the performance I wanted, I couldn't be happier. I don't think anyone would regret doing this....just remember its a sub-300 CI block, so a 460 /514 crate motor in a 2400 lb cobra replica or an old Fox body will still raise a lotta hell light-to light.

please contact me or we can talk live if you want any additional information.....bob

Very Nice BikerBob !!!!! B)

how much was the damage to your wallet though????????? ;)

uhhhhh..... 5100 for sc kit, 1300 for headers, 1400 for install & fabrication for sc kit, 450 to lift engine/inst headers, 550 for custom tuning & dyno time, engine mounted gauges 200, dash gauges & install 1100, 28,000 for gasoline, 175 aspirin and, of course, taxes, tags and registration extra = grand total of a little too much

uhhhhh..... 5100 for sc kit, 1300 for headers, 1400 for install & fabrication for sc kit, 450 to lift engine/inst headers, 550 for custom tuning & dyno time, engine mounted gauges 200, dash gauges & install 1100, 28,000 for gasoline, 175 aspirin and, of course, taxes, tags and registration extra = grand total of a little too much

thnx !!!!! B)

cant be to much if it has more hp that the gt500 now!!!! very nice!!!!!!!!! :D

It don't take long! :o On another note.............I have not seen any Whipple results............anyone out there that could share?

Roger, I've got some whipple results on spreadsheet for mustang GTs.

It's posted on TMS here http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attachment.p...33&d=1179198161

Click on the supercharger worksheet at the bottom.

Also check this thread from 12 May 07 on as I haven't updated the spreadsheet since 12 May 07.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=28437&page=5

Here's the list from the spreadsheet with rwhp/rwtq/trans

Whipple HO@10psi 434 399 auto

Whipple HO@10psi 436 411 auto

Whipple HO@10psi 441 425 man

Whipple HO@10psi 465 449 man

Whipple HO@10psi 458 442 man

Whipple HO@10psi 454 432 man

Whipple HO@10psi 455 438 auto

Whipple HO@10psi 465 433 man

Whipple HO@10psi 460 460 man

Whipple HO@10psi 466 453 man

Whipple HO@10psi 465 449 man

Whipple HO@10psi 476 459 man

Whipple HO@10psi 470 450 man

So with a manual trans, you are looking at between 441-476 rwhp.

More details in the spreadsheet.

AFBlue re whipple HO "So with a manual trans, you are looking at between 441-476 rwhp.

More details in the spreadsheet"

Thank you sir very much. Don't seem like enough though.

well it takes some work and $$ to get 500 ponies from a 280 cubi inch motor. the above whipple results are all over 500 crank hp

The data AFBlue posted above iz whi I iz soo happy with 457 rwhp @ 9.5 psi with a SAI/Paxton

Bob the work you did on your car is seriously cool! congrats!!!! And thanks for keeping you info on mods on forum you have made a great "map" for others to follow!

thanks.....its fun to share learnings & mistakes, most of us are here for the same reasons, despite differences of approaches to cars ( and life in general)

I appreciate the "uniqueness" many of us aspire to ( me too), but some of us also want to minimize expensive setbacks/mistakes. I share because I like the "uniqueness of what I did, but also to be a map as you greatly put it. Others (here and elsewhere) have served as my maps and helped me plan what I did.

Sharing what we learn together is helpfull and interesting and provides us all a little podium time.......its fun to show case what our different approaches are to our common passions ( cars mostly)

thanks for noticing what I was trying to do here

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I agree, that's great info. Bob, thanks for sharing.

Here is my dyno. Tasca Ford put me in at 464 RWHP and 460 torque. They told me to use 13% drive line loss so I get 533 HP at the engine. I haven't seen my Whipple go much over 8 or 9 pounds of boost. I didn't think to ask Tasca if they noticed whether it went any higher.

2007-10-27-1724-05_edited.jpg

Here is my dyno. Tasca Ford put me in at 464 RWHP and 460 torque. They told me to use 13% drive line loss so I get 533 HP at the engine. I haven't seen my Whipple go much over 8 or 9 pounds of boost. I didn't think to ask Tasca if they noticed whether it went any higher.

whos car is that ??? and how do you get that grill???? very nice!!!!!!!!!! :D

There's a lot more to consider than just RWHP/RWTQ when choosing a supercharge kit for your SGT.

Both centrifugal and Roots/twin screw blowers will add the power you seek, however, where in the power curve this power awakens, is one of the deciding factors to be considered. If you intend to race your SGT, the type of blower is a critical decision.

Centrifugals produce power in the mid to upper RPM range, starting about 3000 RPM. This power is endless and limited only by the engine's red line.

Roots/twin screw blowers deliver power immediately, as soon as 1000 RPM. I've seen hundreds of dyno sheets reporting 400-500 HP/TQ below 2000 RPM. However, the Roots/twin screw has it's own RPM limitations. Regardless of the engine's red-line, they flatten out above 5000 RPM.

Thus it is easy to conclude that if you are interested in drag racing your SGT, even once in a while, the Roots/twin screw design will give you an advantage in the first 1/8 mile contest. But, watch out, there is a second 1/8 mile contest, and a centrifugal may well have an edge here. In an informal study I did a few years back, Roots/twin screw blowers gained 25-30 MPH (average) in the second 1/8 mile before they ran out of breath. However, centrifugals gained 35-40 MPH (average) before they ran out of track.

Keep in mind too, that Carroll Shelby is a road racer, not a drag racer. Road racing may keep you in 2nd or 3rd gear, and in your power band, 3000-5000 RPM. You're not going to get any power out of a Roots/twin screw that's gasping for breath at 5000 RPM, and shifting to a higher gear may cost you in a timed event.

Just stuff to think about...I've had all three styles of blower on one car or another, and IMHO, the Paxton centifugal is the way to go.

BTW, Paxton released a new blower, the Novi SL. The "SL" stands for self-lubricated, and it means that install time will be shorter without having to punch the oil pan to run a oil drain line. However, the blower will have to come apart every 10,000 miles or so, for relubrication. When you buy your kit from SAI, make sure you get the blower you want.

Happy motoring!

great results..thems whipple is tough to beat...I threw everything my wallet had at !! but should you beat me light to light, i can always pop the hood and beat you over the head with MY STRUT BRACE !!!lol

There's a lot more to consider than just RWHP/RWTQ when choosing a supercharge kit for your SGT.

Both centrifugal and Roots/twin screw blowers will add the power you seek, however, where in the power curve this power awakens, is one of the deciding factors to be considered. If you intend to race your SGT, the type of blower is a critical decision.

Centrifugals produce power in the mid to upper RPM range, starting about 3000 RPM. This power is endless and limited only by the engine's red line.

Roots/twin screw blowers deliver power immediately, as soon as 1000 RPM. I've seen hundreds of dyno sheets reporting 400-500 HP/TQ below 2000 RPM. However, the Roots/twin screw has it's own RPM limitations. Regardless of the engine's red-line, they flatten out above 5000 RPM.

Thus it is easy to conclude that if you are interested in drag racing your SGT, even once in a while, the Roots/twin screw design will give you an advantage in the first 1/8 mile contest. But, watch out, there is a second 1/8 mile contest, and a centrifugal may well have an edge here. In an informal study I did a few years back, Roots/twin screw blowers gained 25-30 MPH (average) in the second 1/8 mile before they ran out of breath. However, centrifugals gained 35-40 MPH (average) before they ran out of track.

Keep in mind too, that Carroll Shelby is a road racer, not a drag racer. Road racing may keep you in 2nd or 3rd gear, and in your power band, 3000-5000 RPM. You're not going to get any power out of a Roots/twin screw that's gasping for breath at 5000 RPM, and shifting to a higher gear may cost you in a timed event.

Just stuff to think about...I've had all three styles of blower on one car or another, and IMHO, the Paxton centifugal is the way to go.

BTW, Paxton released a new blower, the Novi SL. The "SL" stands for self-lubricated, and it means that install time will be shorter without having to punch the oil pan to run a oil drain line. However, the blower will have to come apart every 10,000 miles or so, for relubrication. When you buy your kit from SAI, make sure you get the blower you want.

Happy motoring!

I'm sorry there is just a great deal of misinformation here please have a read Whipple facts.

Archived