TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bigger Wheels/Tires In Back

clark17357

My 2008 coupe has arrived in Las Vegas so now the waiting begins. After conversion into a SGT, it will go to the mod shop for various items. I am getting the brake upgrade and, therefore, will need 20" wheels. Now the question is whether I should opt for wider wheels/tires on the back than on the front. I am leaning towards that combination but respect the advice of those of you out there who actually have your cars and are driving them. All thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks. Jim

The car drives great as is. If you're going to an S/C, maybe it wouldn't hurt to have wider wheels / tires in the rear, such as a GT500 has, for the additional traction benefits. Personally, I would not like it because it prohibits one from rotating his tires.

Most times a wheel spacer will let you clearance a bigger caliper , I personally would not want the extra weight of the 20 " rims and tires , If braking is that big of a concern you could just try slotted roters with better pads and save the weight .

The 20" wheel and tire package is lighter and a smaller diameter than the stock configuraton.

The 20" wheel and tire package is lighter and a smaller diameter than the stock configuraton.

I did not realize that. How much does one 20" wheel w/ tire weigh?

I did not realize that. How much does one 20" wheel w/ tire weigh?

I don't remember the exact weight/diameter. There was a post some time back where the stock Bullit wheel weight was listed and then compared to the alloy 20" wheel. I did a check on the 18" tire vs. the recommended 20" tire and there was a difference in favor of the 20" wheel by something ~ 1/2" to 1".

Another member on here actually weighed the 18" stock wheel and tire and it came up to ~65lbs each.

I too used to have the idea the 20" wheel package added weight.

EDIT:

Here is the post where we discussed it. Unfortunately the wheel weights were never posted.

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?sho...4&hl=no+brainer

I know when I was researching for my car one site estimated 100 pound extra for 20" wheels and tires. I'm sure if you spend enough money you can mitigate that to a certain extent.

Had to find out because I did not think that number was anywhere close to being correct.

Stock 18.8.5 wheel either polished or black center 30.25#

Shelby Signature CS69 20x9 black center 31.0#

Shelby Signature CS69 20x10 black center 33.0#

Tires are a different story the 18" tire weights more than the 20# which makes sense if you compare the 9" x20" to the 18" stock tire weight. The comparison is the set up I am running which is a staggered set of 20" wheels. 9" in the front and 10" in the rear.

Stock BFG 235x50x18 30.0#

BFG 255x35x20 28.35#

BFG 275x35x20 31.51#

So the total wheel and tire weight for a stock set of 4 = 121# for the wheels 120# for the tires = 241# total

For aftermarket 20x9 & 20x10 setup:

2= 62# + 2= 66" = 128" for the wheels 2= 28.35"=56.7# and 2= 63.02# for the tires = 247.72# for a total difference of 6.72# more. One side note these wheels are not advertised as light weight forged.

The wheels and tire package (Nitto tires) run $2175 installed The front tires are 255/35ZR-20's and the rear size is 275/35ZR-20's. Not sure how much they weigh though.

Bud

Nitto tire weights are 30# for the 255x35x20 and 35# for the 275x35x20

Painted Razor's are 27# on the 9" width. or 108# total plus the tires 130# = 238" that is 3#'s lighter than the stock set of wheels and tires.

My 2008 coupe has arrived in Las Vegas so now the waiting begins. After conversion into a SGT, it will go to the mod shop for various items. I am getting the brake upgrade and, therefore, will need 20" wheels. Now the question is whether I should opt for wider wheels/tires on the back than on the front. I am leaning towards that combination but respect the advice of those of you out there who actually have your cars and are driving them. All thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks. Jim

Muscle cars are supposed to have bigger wider tires in the rear! That's what I grew up thinking anyway.

I would prefer to have a staggered set of wheels for my Shelby (255 for the front, 285 for the rear), similar to the set up I have on my 2001 GT (275 front, 315 rear - and I wouldn't have it any other way!)

However, I understand that the Shelby mod shop is only offering the Razors as an alternative to stock SGT wheels. The Razors are sharp, but they're not my first choice of wheel style.

Clark, I see in your sig that you have 20" Torq-Thrust Chrome wheels with Nitto Tires listed as an item to be added at mod shop after build out. I was told that this wasn't an option. The Torq-Thrust would be my first choice as well.

Muscle cars are supposed to have bigger wider tires in the rear! That's what I grew up thinking anyway.

I would prefer to have a staggered set of wheels for my Shelby (255 for the front, 285 for the rear), similar to the set up I have on my 2001 GT (275 front, 315 rear - and I wouldn't have it any other way!)

However, I understand that the Shelby mod shop is only offering the Razors as an alternative to stock SGT wheels. The Razors are sharp, but they're not my first choice of wheel style.

Clark, I see in your sig that you have 20" Torq-Thrust Chrome wheels with Nitto Tires listed as an item to be added at mod shop after build out. I was told that this wasn't an option. The Torq-Thrust would be my first choice as well.

Let me share with you an e-mail exchange I had with John Walker at SAI on October 4, 2007.

Clark E-Mail to Walker: "Question. I do not think I am a fan of the Razor wheels but I will need the bigger wheels for the brake upgrade. I have looked on the American Racing website and they have this wheel: Shelby Torq-Thrust® M (Chrome) (Series 605MS). The widths jump from 8.5" to 10". But will that wheel work in terms of the mod shop installing it along with everything else I am having done [when, of course, you are finished with turning my GT into a SGT :-) ]. Also, would the 10" be put on or the 8.5"? Thanks."

Walker E-Mail to Clark: "Jim, My honest opinion. Go with the 8.5" in front and 10" in rear. -John"

That exchange led me to the conclusion I could get the Torq-Thrust installed. Given you were given information that suggests otherwise, let me get in touch with John again, share with him what you were told, and get a definitive answer. I guess that is one advantage to how long it takes to get a car from SAI -- we have time to hash things out on the Forum. Thanks. Jim

I think you better check back with SAI. There are other wheel options avalible.

I think you better check back with SAI. There are other wheel options avalible.

Per my earlier post of today, I have an e-mail out to John right now and will share with all when I hear back from him. Jim

Does any of this really matter? I mean, we're talking about a 3500 lb. car, 240 lbs. of wheels and tires, and 6 lbs. is going to make a difference? If so, I'd better go on a diet.

Yes I think it can have quite an effect. The effect of changing unsprung weight effects ride quality and more weight in a larger diameter is harder to get moving and harder to stop. Also the larger the diameter is just like a lever the farther you get from center the harder it is to get moving and stop. This is a fun toy tire and wheel calculator.

Yahoo autos lists the curb weight for the manual at 3450, the automatic at 3500, whatever that means.

Okay. You cannot tell me that some of you who already have your cars have not had them weighed. Let's hear from you so we can get past what FoMoCo lists as the car's weight. Jim ;)

Did not get it.

I sent it again or at least I tried. Let me know if you got it this time.

Email an web browsing is still pretty jacked up over here. Won't be long now though, four more days till I start the 7330 mile journey home!

Clark, I sent you a possible solution.

I sent it again or at least I tried. Let me know if you got it this time.

Email an web browsing is still pretty jacked up over here. Won't be long now though, four more days till I start the 7330 mile journey home!

Clark, I sent you a possible solution.

Got it and responded back. :)

Archived