TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Questions for SC Owners

robsdad3423

I have several Questions for those whom have taken the leap of faith.

1. What milage are you getting?

a. City?

b. Highway?

c. average?

2. You impression of low end tourque or lag agter having the SC installed?

3. 0-60 time after install?

4. 1/4 Mile time post install?

5. Has anyone considered a stall speed change for the Automatic with or without the SC?

6. Has anyone done their own install?

a. Time it took?

b. Drilling neded includeing the cooling unit?

c. Is the change of the Fuel pump needed for paxton 1200 8-9 lb boost?

d. Labor cost for instal at SAI or other source?

7. Over all impression,,,, fun, big impact or not even noticable with meatl mashed to the floor? loud? city drivability? etc.

Any other info on Just how Frickin cool it is..... :D Thanks Wood

I can't address all of your queries, but some of my observations. Assuming we're talking about the more powerful, intercooled S/C's, the Whipple produces a stated 500 hp vs. 462 for the Paxton. The installed price from SAI for the Whipple is $7480 and $6195 for the Paxton (both cost more in polished finishes). There's a great discussion about the different S/C's here http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=2187 .The Paxton is the more traditional Ford/Shelby S/C, the Whipple provides more boost at lower speeds, if you're talking strictly power. FRPP states that this Whipple is not designed for cars with automatic transmissions, although there are shops that have done this install without problems thus far. Other than that, I'd love to hear owners' impressions of their S/C'ed SGT's.

I installed the 11psi Whipple myself I picked it because I thought the engineering layout and quality of the kit were a cut above and I have not changed my mind. I did a Vortech on a 98 Cobra in 98 and always wished that I had done a roots style and got the nice low end power. The Whipple makes incredible HP and Torque right off the bottom, it is truly AMAZING to drive. I have not Dynoed it yet so I can't tell you true gains but the feel is absolutely incredible. The kit has the look and feel of OEM througout and Whipple got together with Ford and Ford actually programmed my chip which so far I have no issues with. I can highly recommend the Whipple, the roots style is everything I hoped it would be with amazing easy power right off the bottom. Its looking like I took a couple of Mpg hit for the power. Hot Rod magazine built basically a Shelby GT with 11psi Whipple in an article recently and they ran three back to back 11.9 118 mph quarter miles with minimal setup they also verified the advertised numbers for HP and torque. You can save a great deal on labor doing it yourself and don't pay retail for the Blower either. Drop me an message if you're serious about doing one.

I have the Paxton. On a custom tune from a Paxton installer the car dyno at 441 RWHP and 399 RWTq (90 F & 91 Octane). The pull really kicks in at around 3000 RPM. I get an average of 17 MPG but almost 29 on the freeway (according to the computer).

The Paxton was the only option when my car was built in the Spring. If the Whipple would have been available it would have been a tough choice. I like the reported low end power of the Whipple but there is also something to be said for the Shelby/Paxton heritage.

Here u go.

1. What milage are you getting?

a. City? 17

b. Highway? 29

c. average? 23

2. You impression of low end tourque or lag agter having the SC installed? small amount of lag but li

kicks in at 3000rpm

3. 0-60 time after install? poor 0-60 at the track. I cant get it to stick and get traction

4. 1/4 Mile time post install?

the best 1/4 mile time for me was 13.0 spinning in all 1st,2nd and 3rd.

5. Has anyone considered a stall speed change for the Automatic with or without the SC?

i have a 5 spd

6. Has anyone done their own install?

Mines sai installed

a. Time it took?

b. Drilling neded includeing the cooling unit?

c. Is the change of the Fuel pump needed for paxton 1200 8-9 lb boost?

d. Labor cost for instal at SAI or other source?

7. Over all impression,,,, fun, big impact or not even noticable with meatl mashed to the floor? loud? city drivability? etc.

Its alot of fun although i never drove one w/o the s/c. its alot quieter than the non s/ced version because the s/c muffles the sound. A pair of different mufflers cured that .

Any other info on Just how Frickin cool it is..... :D Thanks Wood

If you got the extra money i would do it. I really enjoy it!

29 high way????????

Is that a misprint?

I get 24 max on the highway. If I baby the hell out of it, that is.

Anxious to hear from anybody that put the whipple on an Automatic.

Although I have wanted a small block shelby with Paxton SC since I was 16.

The wipple sounds really seductive since it would make the bigger impact, low end perfromance is something I am more likely to use living near Chicago.

29 high way????????

Is that a misprint?

Anxious to hear from anybody that put the whipple on an Automatic.

Although I have wanted a small block shelby with Paxton SC since I was 16.

The wipple sounds really seductive since it would make the bigger impact, low end perfromance is something I am more likely to use living near Chicago.

The Whipple is not available in automatic...

Ok, as for options on the S/C and I will tell you this also on the phone when finalizing the details....................................

1. The 500 hp intercooled Whipple can NOT be installed on an automatic transmission vehicle. The transmission can not take the power and it will fail.

2. The 400 hp non intercooled Whipple CAN be installed on an automatic vehicle.

3. The 465 hp Paxton S/C CAN be installed on an automatic vehicle.

4. The Paxton comes in a satin or polished finish. The Whipple comes in black or polished finish.

I hope this info will help you choose which S/C to go with. Also, at this time, I do believe (I could be wrong) that we have not installed the 400 hp non intercooled Whipple on a vehicle yet. Meaning, that I do not know how it performs at this time. Yours COULD be the FIRST one we do....BUD

>>> You impression of low end torque or lag after having the SC installed?

The stock Predator tune on the Paxton is fairly tame, need a custom tune to wake it up on the low end and maximize RWHP/torque. Very responsive after the custom tune.

>>> 0-60 time after install?

2.2 to 2.4 seconds with stock tires. (EDIT: That's 0-60 feet not MPH - 0-60 MPH is ~4.5 seconds).

It’s pretty simple physics, the extra HP and torque at the motor won’t do you much good if you don’t modify the rest of the drivetrain to transfer the power/torque to the ground.

Like any other vehicle you’ll need to change rear end, wheels, tires, driveshaft, flywheel, clutch, etc. to take full advantage of the SC HP gains.

Of course there are a bunch of other things you can do: remove more weight, headers, hardened internals, smaller SC pulley (more boost). But it depend how much money you want to spend and how street drivable you want to keep the car.

>>> 1/4 Mile time post install?

~13.5 – not an excuse but it was 96+ degrees and the car was heat soaked from the drive to the track. Did beat out a stock GT 500 twice by 2/10ths so that was nice.

Also see #2

>>> Has anyone done their own install?

Yes…

http://home.earthlink.net/~cudafly/Shelby/page1.htm

About 24 hours (four 6 hour days), no drilling (oil line return punched/tapped), yes - fuel pump upgrade and bigger injectors required, labor – FREE!!!

>>> Over all impression,,,, fun, big impact or not even noticable with metal mashed to the floor? loud? city drivability? etc.

It’s a totally different car with the SC, huge difference. It will be even better when all of the drivetrain mods are complete.

Paxton, Whipple, Kenne Bell are all good setups, it’s a personal choice. But in the end it’s got to be a balanced car (power, drivetrain, suspension, weight) or it won’t matter how much HP you have.

The Whipple is not available in automatic...

The intercooled Whipple HAS been installed on automatic SGT's just not by SAI. CJ's Pony Parts in Pennsylania installed one on Torrence's automatic with no problems thus far. Further, it is certainly possible to reinforce your tranny to reduce possible failure rate. According to FRPP, the warranty is toast with either the Paxton or Whipple installation, I don't know why they'd care which unit is installed.

>>> You impression of low end torque or lag after having the SC installed?

The stock Predator tune on the Paxton is fairly tame, need a custom tune to wake it up on the low end and maximize RWHP/torque. Very responsive after the custom tune.

>>> 0-60 time after install?

2.2 to 2.4 seconds with stock tires. (EDIT: That's 0-60 feet not MPH - 0-60 MPH is ~4.5 seconds).

It’s pretty simple physics, the extra HP and torque at the motor won’t do you much good if you don’t modify the rest of the drivetrain to transfer the power/torque to the ground.

Like any other vehicle you’ll need to change rear end, wheels, tires, driveshaft, flywheel, clutch, etc. to take full advantage of the SC HP gains.

Of course there are a bunch of other things you can do: remove more weight, headers, hardened internals, smaller SC pulley (more boost). But it depend how much money you want to spend and how street drivable you want to keep the car.

>>> 1/4 Mile time post install?

~13.5 – not an excuse but it was 96+ degrees and the car was heat soaked from the drive to the track. Did beat out a stock GT 500 twice by 2/10ths so that was nice.

Also see #2

>>> Has anyone done their own install?

Yes…

http://home.earthlink.net/~cudafly/Shelby/page1.htm

About 24 hours (four 6 hour days), no drilling (oil line return punched/tapped), yes - fuel pump upgrade and bigger injectors required, labor – FREE!!!

>>> Over all impression,,,, fun, big impact or not even noticable with metal mashed to the floor? loud? city drivability? etc.

It’s a totally different car with the SC, huge difference. It will be even better when all of the drivetrain mods are complete.

Paxton, Whipple, Kenne Bell are all good setups, it’s a personal choice. But in the end it’s got to be a balanced car (power, drivetrain, suspension, weight) or it won’t matter how much HP you have.

How does one go about gettin a custom tune for the low end improvement on the Paxton?

Yes im pretty sure thats my best mpg. if you have an auto i believe they get worse milage than a stick

How does one go about gettin a custom tune for the low end improvement on the Paxton?

There are plenty of threads on this subject. Run a search for S/c and you will be able to read them good luck

29 high way????????

Is that a misprint?

CM198 and I both posted freeway mileage of 29. I reset my computer on the way to Santa Monica last week because of the what is your MPG thread. Mine was very low on average to what people were posting which confused me with what I thought freeway mileage should be. I watched the MPG reading on the computer read high 28 to low 29 the whole trip.

My average, 15.85 MPG, goes way down because of city driving which is mostly what I do.

Yes, the Whipple can be installed on an AUTOMATIC. Like Strawman said, it was done on mine. Mine Dyno at 458 to the wheels and they said they could have gotten it to 470, but wanted to play it safe. They tuned the car to match the new shift points to what the blower was making the tranny shift at. If not, the tranny will go kaboom.

If the car is not tuned correctly with this Whipple this thing will be in 4th gear in no time flat with the step on the gas, killing your tranny.

Yes, the Whipple can be installed on an AUTOMATIC. Like Strawman said, it was done on mine. Mine Dyno at 458 to the wheels and they said they could have gotten it to 470, but wanted to play it safe. They tuned the car to match the new shift points to what the blower was making the tranny shift at. If not, the tranny will go kaboom.

If the car is not tuned correctly with this Whipple this thing will be in 4th gear in no time flat with the step on the gas, killing your tranny.

Who tuned it T?

I have the Paxton. On a custom tune from a Paxton installer the car dyno at 441 RWHP and 399 RWTq (90 F & 91 Octane). The pull really kicks in at around 3000 RPM. I get an average of 17 MPG but almost 29 on the freeway (according to the computer).

The Paxton was the only option when my car was built in the Spring. If the Whipple would have been available it would have been a tough choice. I like the reported low end power of the Whipple but there is also something to be said for the Shelby/Paxton heritage.

The Shelby GT with the whipple is insanely fast. It is spun by a micro 6 "V" 124.7 inch serpentine belt that should prove reliable as long as proper belt adjustments are adhered to. Gates makes an improved belt that is reinforced but make sure you refer to the Whipple supplement for belt tensioning proceedures. Rick

Archived