TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Flowmasters on my SGT

DreamRide

Tried the Flowmaster axle back American Thunder on my car!They sounded excellant with no real annoying drone.Ended up taking them back off as they are designed for the regular GT,Had some clearance issues with the California Special/Shelby GT rear facia.Body of the muffler sat to close to it.Just thought I'd post this For anybody that might be considering them!

Tried the Flowmaster axle back American Thunder on my car!They sounded excellant with no real annoying drone.Ended up taking them back off as they are designed for the regular GT,Had some clearance issues with the California Special/Shelby GT rear facia.Body of the muffler sat to close to it.Just thought I'd post this For anybody that might be considering them!

There is no way you can have the muffler shop do some tweaking for you?

this is not good :angry:

The flowmasters are huge in comparison to the stock FRPP mufflers,And a bit heavier,If it matters.As far as tweaking,I'm sure it's possible,But the whole body sits VERY close to the facia,In fact where the cutouts are for the tips will rub on the facia slightly,So I wedged a piece of rubber tubin between the inner structure and the facia thinking that I had easily rectified the problem,After a test drive I noticed they were rubbing again,Thanks in part to the muufler body heat slightly distorting the facia!No paint or damage in the short term,But I was scared that long term might be some ill effects.I say try another setup.Please note once you install them,Tighten the clamps you don't even have to run them,YOU CANNOT RETURN THEM!This wasn't a problem for me as I had pulled them back off my 07GT that I traded in,So mine were used already!If anybody wants to try their luck,PM me and I'll make you a good deal,Mine are still like new!If you decide on another type of system make sure that the application covers SGT/California Special!

The flowmasters are huge in comparison to the stock FRPP mufflers,And a bit heavier,If it matters.As far as tweaking,I'm sure it's possible,But the whole body sits VERY close to the facia,In fact where the cutouts are for the tips will rub on the facia slightly,So I wedged a piece of rubber tubin between the inner structure and the facia thinking that I had easily rectified the problem,After a test drive I noticed they were rubbing again,Thanks in part to the muufler body heat slightly distorting the facia!No paint or damage in the short term,But I was scared that long term might be some ill effects.I say try another setup.Please note once you install them,Tighten the clamps you don't even have to run them,YOU CANNOT RETURN THEM!This wasn't a problem for me as I had pulled them back off my 07GT that I traded in,So mine were used already!If anybody wants to try their luck,PM me and I'll make you a good deal,Mine are still like new!If you decide on another type of system make sure that the application covers SGT/California Special!

Good Info............. :)

this is not good :angry:

Have you already ordered some?They probably can be made to work,But I don't see it without some modifications to the body of the muffler itself.Seems like I have been in on a lot of SGT first tries on parts that should work,The DiabloSport tuner also taught me a lot!

No, I have not ordered one yet. I have however, had a flowmaster american thunder kit on everything ive ever owned including my powerstroke. :) I guess ill find something else. :( Ive always liked Bassani, they are just way to $$$$$. Maybe ill just install a off road x-pipe or a prochamber. She just isnt as loud as daddy wants her to be :D

No, I have not ordered one yet. I have however, had a flowmaster american thunder kit on everything ive ever owned including my powerstroke. :) I guess ill find something else. :( Ive always liked Bassani, they are just way to $$$$$. Maybe ill just install a off road x-pipe or a prochamber. She just isnt as loud as daddy wants her to be :D

I don't know if it's been posted yet.If you get on youtube there are lots of Vids with Mustangs and different axle backs,I know that it's hard to judge from a video,But you might find something that suits you.SLP loudmouth 2 Series sounds similar to what I think you are looking for,And I know for sure there is a video of some of those on there.Be warned if you go that route,The Standard loud mouths are REALLY LOUD!The loud mouth 2 series is more like a 3 chamber Flowmaster.BTW how many miles are on your car?I've got about 800,And after some hard driving,Not abusive but hard,Your factory mufflers will get louder with time.Mine seem quite a bit louder than when the car was fresh.

I don't know if it's been posted yet.If you get on youtube there are lots of Vids with Mustangs and different axle backs,I know that it's hard to judge from a video,But you might find something that suits you.SLP loudmouth 2 Series sounds similar to what I think you are looking for,And I know for sure there is a video of some of those on there.Be warned if you go that route,The Standard loud mouths are REALLY LOUD!The loud mouth 2 series is more like a 3 chamber Flowmaster.BTW how many miles are on your car?I've got about 800,And after some hard driving,Not abusive but hard,Your factory mufflers will get louder with time.Mine seem quite a bit louder than when the car was fresh.

Mine also got louder also with time i have 5000 miles on mine but i wanted a deeper growl and with the 40's i got that and its more consistent !!!!!!!!!! :D

Archived