TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supercharger warranty test

ShelbyPilot

...read the earlier post by shelbyguy. He explains it very well and corrected the problem himself. There are hoses held onto adapters with clamps. The clamps failed and caused the hoses to come off. The Ford service tech replaced two clamps and the engine came back to life. I should have more detail tomorrow when I pick the car up.

SAI knows of the problem and has asked Paxton for a fix. In the meantime I recommend replacing the clamps or having a shop do it. It really sucks to be stuck on the side of the road. Maybe Shelbyguy can give some more details.

YOU ARE WELCOME!

ONE OTHER THING CAME TO MIND IS CHECK OR DIABLO TO SEE IF YOUR LAST PROGRAM (WHEN YOU HAD YOUR CAR ON THE DYNO) IS STILL CURRENT BECAUSE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO UNHOOK BATTERY BEFORE PUMP REMOVAL AND WAS TOLD BY PAXTON TO DOULBLE CHECK THIS.

HOPE YOU FIND THIS WITH "PRECIOUS" BACK WITH YOU.

SHELBYGUY

Precious is home and safely tucked under her blanket in the garage. Again a big thank you to Bud at SAI and those who offered suggestions.

MM,

I wasn't offended in any way.

Shelbyguy,

Thanks for the suggestion to check with the Diablo. I didn't notice any difference on the way home but I will just in case.

Lastly,

I did have a weird event on the way home. The fuel gauge went from 1/2 (about right when compared to my trip meter) to EMPTY in an instant (did you know the fuel gauge turns red when you get to 'E'). I was pertty sure I had enough gas to get home but I stopped and topped off to be sure. Only took 7 gals. When I restarted the car it read full again. I am going to call the service rep and let them know just in case it happens again. Any ideas?

Chris, Sorry to hear about the car, glad it all worked out. Just another one of those glitches we all have to worry about. I have a few questions on how your car was towed. Did they use a flatbed and winch it up backwards? Did you have any problems with the front spoiler? Some tow truck guys can be real jerks :angry: . God forbid if I ever have to have the car towed, this is one of my biggest fears.

On the fuel gauge issue, when I've parked my truck on a steep hill knowing I have a 1/4 tank or so of gas, has read empty, go to gas station and fill up tank then read fine. I think the float sensor may have got hung up while it was being worked on (?). I think your influx of gas and topping off the tank freed up the float.( I would hope so)

Good luck,

Dave

The Paxton/Vortech dual fuel pump setup is a bit of a kludge so the failures are not surprising. The installation involves disconnecting the crossover tube and removing the factory pump, cutting into fuel lines and electrical connections, adding an auxiliary pump and “Y” connections with stepless clamps, hose clamps, and tie wraps. It then it has to all fit back into the VERY tight access hole under the back seat. It’s a bloody knuckle exercise and involves a lot of sweat and swearing.

The FRPP dual fuel pump is a much better setup. It’s the factory made GT 500 pump and includes a separate wiring harness and fuel pump driver module. It still is a tight fit and no fun to install but it is a much better and more reliable solution.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=9639

I’ve had the FRPP pump on my list of things to do since I did the original SC installation but have not got around to it yet. I think I’ll probably wind up paying somebody to install it just to avoid the aggravation.

If I was to do it again I’d sell the dual Paxton pump parts that come with the SC on E-Bay and go right to the FRPP setup. Anyone with a car getting the Paxton SC installed in the mod shop may want to consider it.

The rest of the Paxton kit is top notch and the performance is great.

DSCN2964.jpg DSCN2967.jpg

Interesting contrast of the 2 different units. I do know that the Whipple HO unit does replace the entire fuel pump with the GT500 unit.

Glad everything worked out for you Chris.

Interesting contrast of the 2 different units. I do know that the Whipple HO unit does replace the entire fuel pump with the GT500 unit.

Glad everything worked out for you Chris.

I installed the GT500 dual pump and wiring harness, not fun but certainly doable. Factory quick disconnects are much preferable to hose clamps. I did not have the tool for the fuel pump ring, it would have been handy, also remember that there is a square box in the tank that requires the pump to be oriented correctly when inserting it. Couple other pains were installing what they call a crossover that is a line inside the fuel tank with a quick disconnect that connects to the pump under the top by a couple inches, and running a power wire from the trunk up through the cockpit and passenger fender well to the engine compartment.

Thank you all for your concern. I don't have any news to report. I have been given another possible cause but I should know more tomorrow.

Clark,

I was in moderate traffic doing about 50-60 on a flat stretch and not accelerating or decelerating, at least not until the engine quit. The car suddenly flet like I took my foot off the throttle and downshifted. At first throttle inputs would help the car sputter off the freeway but that also had diminishing returnd until the point when the engine stalled.

Wado,

I did think about the fuse but not until I was relaxing on the way home in my wife's Passat and the service closed right after we left.

Wow we have similar tastes in cars! My wife drive a 05 tdi passat and I of course a SGT. Wishing you good luck! If you have a Scout too I will eat my hat haha!

• 4 weeks later...

So I here I am driving home from a 1st place in class win in heavy traffic on the 5 freeway. Suddenly, sputter sputter, look over at the fuel pressure, 0. Just about the time I get over to the side of the freeway the car is dead again. Back on a tow truck and to another dealer.

I left an email for Bud. He sent me the 800 number and a second possible fix assuming it was the previous issue rising from the dead. More importantly he called somebody from Vortech. That somebody called me and sent a second somebody to the dealership to look at the car.

What the Ford tech and the Vortech tech discovered was not a Shelby or Paxton issue but rather a mistake from the previous dealership repair. The siphon hose from the passenger side to the driver side was crimped when put back into the car during the last repair. That resulted in my fuel gauge dropping to E just after it past below 1/2 and then the car basically running out of gas because it couldn't draw all of the fuel out of the passenger side.

The Vortech guy still changed out the add on fuel pump and hardware. The only thing that he didn't like was the worm drive clamp that was used to replace the original clamps at the last repair. I am told the car is fixed and has had its scheduled oil change. I will pick it up tomorrow morning.

Bud, Thank You.

Well, for all those who want to know what is going to happen to supercharged Shelby GTs and warranites we are going to find out very soon.

My Shelby GT/SC stalled on the freeway today and would not restart. The starter is turning and the car is trying to start but no boom. I have no fuel pressure indication on the instrument cluster but I wasn't able to check while trying to manuever a gasping car through three lanes of traffic and on to an offramp.

The car is at a dealership to be diagnosed on Monday. I am betting fuel pump. I have an email out to SAI. So, I guess I get to be another test case.

my shelbygt/sc did the same thing on the way home from purchase. hose clamp on piggyback fuel pump came off. takes about an hour to fix. ain't no big thing!!!

Wow, not once but twice, not so good. Kinda scares me a little.

AS NOTED BY SOCALJAFO NOT THE SAME PROBLEM, BUT A DEALERSHIP ERROR. THIS HAPPEND OFTEN ON ANY CAR. NOT SOMETHING THAT SHOULD SCARE AWAY.

I DO HAVE SOME STORIES ABOUT MY CADILLAC.

Guys Precious is home.

The problem was not with the Supercharger design or anything Shelby related. There is a check valve in the line between the driverside and passenger side of the fuel tank. When the original repair of the hoses was done last month a Ford tech seems to have been careless and somehow caused the check valve not to operate properly. It was explained to me that the hoses were just squeezed together too much. The new service tech believes the problem is corrected but I won't be really sure to run about half a tank of gas out of the car.

The warning sign will be if my fuel gauge suddenly drops to 'E' like I had mentioned before. If that is the case. I'll get a bit more fuel and take it right back. Which is what the Service Manager wants me to do. I'll keep you posted.

.....if I can find this thread after the "merger." :P

Archived