TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supercharger warranty test

ShelbyPilot

Well, for all those who want to know what is going to happen to supercharged Shelby GTs and warranites we are going to find out very soon.

My Shelby GT/SC stalled on the freeway today and would not restart. The starter is turning and the car is trying to start but no boom. I have no fuel pressure indication on the instrument cluster but I wasn't able to check while trying to manuever a gasping car through three lanes of traffic and on to an offramp.

The car is at a dealership to be diagnosed on Monday. I am betting fuel pump. I have an email out to SAI. So, I guess I get to be another test case.

oohhhh boy....good luck! Your car was delivered to you from SAI with the S/C installed, is that correct? Was there any mention, verbal or writing, that an S/C car is not covered?

Well, for all those who want to know what is going to happen to supercharged Shelby GTs and warranites we are going to find out very soon.

My Shelby GT/SC stalled on the freeway today and would not restart. The starter is turning and the car is trying to start but no boom. I have no fuel pressure indication on the instrument cluster but I wasn't able to check while trying to manuever a gasping car through three lanes of traffic and on to an offramp.

The car is at a dealership to be diagnosed on Monday. I am betting fuel pump. I have an email out to SAI. So, I guess I get to be another test case.

Keep us informed with the process of working through this. What is the mileage on your car? What speed were you traveling when the car stalled? We you accelerating, decelerating or at a steady speed when it stalled? Were you one an uphill stretch, downhill stretch or level stretch of freeway? For those of us in Southern California, what freeway were you on? Jim

Wow-good luck with that. I've been waiting 6 weeks to get a scratch fixed as Shelby and Ford point fingers at each other! I can only imagine the ordeal with the S/C. Hopefully you didn't get one of those nice little bright orange stickers slapped on your window while you sat there---of course then you'd be even morre exclusive :D

Socal, I am extremely sorry to hear about the shut down of your car. We are now going to see the real integrity of FOMOCO and Shelby front and center. We will see how you are taken care of, but since you are the first I think there will be a lot of back and forth between SAI and Ford here. Because this will set presidence for everythign going forward, who fixes what when it breaks. I would hate to be in your position, lets just hope it is something VERY simple and it is done and repaired in a hour or so.

Good luck and keep us informed-

Swede

Thank you all for your concern. I don't have any news to report. I have been given another possible cause but I should know more tomorrow.

Clark,

I was in moderate traffic doing about 50-60 on a flat stretch and not accelerating or decelerating, at least not until the engine quit. The car suddenly flet like I took my foot off the throttle and downshifted. At first throttle inputs would help the car sputter off the freeway but that also had diminishing returnd until the point when the engine stalled.

Wado,

I did think about the fuse but not until I was relaxing on the way home in my wife's Passat and the service closed right after we left.

Thank you all for your concern. I don't have any news to report. I have been given another possible cause but I should know more tomorrow.

Clark,

I was in moderate traffic doing about 50-60 on a flat stretch and not accelerating or decelerating, at least not until the engine quit. The car suddenly flet like I took my foot off the throttle and downshifted. At first throttle inputs would help the car sputter off the freeway but that also had diminishing returnd until the point when the engine stalled.

Wado,

I did think about the fuse but not until I was relaxing on the way home in my wife's Passat and the service closed right after we left.

Socal, was your gas tank less than a 1/4 filled? I have a sticker on my car that reads to not go full throttle tooo often when less than 1/4. Not sure if yours is the same.

I think I was right around 1/4 but not less.

Clark, I have about 2400 miles on the car I was thinking about my next oil change just minutes before the problem.

Best of luck man. I have faith everything will work out fine for you. Its probably something simple.

proably the engine blew up and took the supercharger with it. then the belt went under the car and bent the driveshaft which made the gear and pinion break. when the gear broke it caused a piece of metal to fly off and hit the gas line which is why you have not fuel pressure. EASY FIX. :lol:

im sure it something simple. i had a demo mustang a few years ago that did the same thing. left the dealership and the car died, lucky i was right in front of a gas station so i pulled in and started trying to figure out what was wrong with the car. it showed just a hair under a 1/4 tank. after 30 mins or so i PUSHED the car up to the pump and put a few dollars of gas in her and she cranked right up. the gas hand was about a 1/4 off. so the car was out of gas when it showed a 1/4 tank. not saying you ran out of gas and didnt know it, but thats what happened to me. this has not stopped me from running cars down to E or 0 miles to empty on the computer. like the senfield show, i just like to see how far i can go with the tank of E.

michael morris

I had the same exact issue on the freeway 310 miles after I pick mine from Shelby. GOOD NEWS We fixed it in about 30 minutes for $ 3.00.

However- I was in four hours from home and four hours from Shelby. It was at 6:00 Friday Labor Day so I did get a friend to drive from home and trailer it home. We flew to pick it up of course not tools and not at all prepared.

Here is the best part of the experience- It was 6:30 Friday Labor day weekend I waiting for my friend and I find a business card that Gary Paterson gave me early that day so I called to leave a message but he answered I explained what happen all Gary Said I "What can we do " I come pick up , I get you rental car, Plane tickets, Room, Pick your car up fix it then ship it to you How can I help?- I told him I have a friend and trailer on the way and he replied lets us know what we can do for him and once you get it home we will fly a tech out to fix your car. I told him thanks and would talk to him on Tues. The next day we fixed the car (just a clamp in the tank) On Tuesday on my way to my office about 8:00am my cell phone rings and its Gary wanting to make arrangments to send a tech and I told him that we fixed it but it did not stop there he continue to want to hear all about this and said Shelby may look for a better fix

SHELBYGUY

A clamp IN the tank??

Is this specific to modifications made for the SC or is it a Ford issue?

IT IS A SC ISSUE. PAXTON REQUIRES A 2ND FUEL PUMP THAT YOU NEED TO ATTACH TO THE FACTORY PUMP INSIDE THE TANK THEN A Y CONNECTOR SENDS THE FUEL FROM BOTH PUMPS TO ONE FUEL LINE THAT LEAVES THE TANK (IM NOT A BIG FAN OF THIS PAXTON CURRENT CLAMP AND HOSE SYSTEM AND EITHER IS SAI)

When I put my blower on I had to install the GT 500 dual fuel pump in my tank. There is a crossover line in the tank that has a quick disconnect on it. It is a bit of a bitch to get installed, very tight quarters and there were warnings in my install documentation MAKE SURE that connector clicks lol Sounded like to me they had more then a few that had fallen off. The fuel pump install was a serious pain in the ass, it was probably the worst part of the whole installation for me.

Reading your initial post I was thinking the same thing. Let us know how you make out Chris.

Roger

I didn't run out of gas. I have had the needle much much closer to 'E' then it was on Saturday. SAI believes that is the problem as described by Shelbyguy (thanks for calling and describing it to me). However, I am in authorization limbo right now. Hemborg Ford doesn't know if they are aloud to work on a Shelby GT.

Service person just called. They were made contact with SAI and the tech is now under the back seat working on the problem.

Pulling for ya over here, Socal! Hope all is well ASAP and painless for you.

Jer

I received a call at 4 pm, the car is fixed. It was the clamp issue that shelbyguy described and Bud had talked me off the ledge with. According to the service rep there is no charge so it must be handled under a warranty. I believe the Paxton warranty. Now this wasn't the big issue of blowing up the engine that has been discussed numerous times but it was taken care of by SAI. Thank You Bud.

This is more of a mod shop warranty then the new car warranty from Ford and FRPP so that probably helped.

Supercharger owners I would consider having your clamps looked at or replaced as Shelbyguy described. It may save you the heartache I discovered Saturday.

I was unable to get to Precious tonight but will pick her up tomorrow morning.

Thank You Bud, Thank You Shelbyguy, Thank you Cudafly and all others who offered condern

...read the earlier post by shelbyguy. He explains it very well and corrected the problem himself. There are hoses held onto adapters with clamps. The clamps failed and caused the hoses to come off. The Ford service tech replaced two clamps and the engine came back to life. I should have more detail tomorrow when I pick the car up.

SAI knows of the problem and has asked Paxton for a fix. In the meantime I recommend replacing the clamps or having a shop do it. It really sucks to be stuck on the side of the road. Maybe Shelbyguy can give some more details.

i hope i didnt offend you, i was just playing about the engine blowing up. at the end of the post i said i thought it would be a simple fix. im glad Bud and your dealer worked together and got her fixed. now if it happens to someone else they will know the problem. sorry you had to be the first

michael morris

Hi SoCal,

Please let us know what they find, Those of us with SC installed are curious. Did SAI forget to install this double pump in your car? Has anyone else had this Same Double pump problem?

Thanks,

CLINK

The Paxton/Vortech dual fuel pump setup is a bit of a kludge so the failures are not surprising. The installation involves disconnecting the crossover tube and removing the factory pump, cutting into fuel lines and electrical connections, adding an auxiliary pump and “Y” connections with stepless clamps, hose clamps, and tie wraps. It then it has to all fit back into the VERY tight access hole under the back seat. It’s a bloody knuckle exercise and involves a lot of sweat and swearing.

The FRPP dual fuel pump is a much better setup. It’s the factory made GT 500 pump and includes a separate wiring harness and fuel pump driver module. It still is a tight fit and no fun to install but it is a much better and more reliable solution.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=9639

I’ve had the FRPP pump on my list of things to do since I did the original SC installation but have not got around to it yet. I think I’ll probably wind up paying somebody to install it just to avoid the aggravation.

If I was to do it again I’d sell the dual Paxton pump parts that come with the SC on E-Bay and go right to the FRPP setup. Anyone with a car getting the Paxton SC installed in the mod shop may want to consider it.

The rest of the Paxton kit is top notch and the performance is great.

post-1973-1146974677_thumb.jpg post-1973-1146974724_thumb.jpg

Probably an ignorant question, but doesn't Kenne Bell use a "Boost-A-Pump" simply placed in line with the OEM fuel line? It is my understanding that their twin screw application is capable of cranking out over 500 hp to the rear wheels, so I would assume that the required fuel flow would be easily developed with minimal hassle.

Archived