TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front license bracket

Strawman

My SGT was ordered with a front license bracket, do they all come this way? Does this mean there will be holes in the front bumper? I live in Florida, we don't need front plates.

And, if your state does require a front license plate, there is a sweet alternative to having the dealer drill your SGT. Check out what Craig Broussard invented for us. You can contact him at toeyotacraig@cox.net and he will e-mail you information (with photos) about his license plate bracket that does not require any holes to be drilled. Jim

I could be wrong but I think they only come with the cars that are being delivered to the states which require a front plate. I also believe if its being delivered to one of those states it will be listed on the window sticker. Mine was listed and in the trunk, where it still sits today. I told the dealer I did not want the front plate nor did I want one of their dealer stickers on the trunk. The dealer sticker was a fight but I won. They had no problem not installing the front plate.

The car is built and I believe is at SAI. So, I assume I've got a holy bumper. Now what?

I never heard of SAI doing any front bumper license plate drilling (when it was requested that it not be done), the only problems I have heard of were once the car got to their respective dealers and THEN THE DEALER DOING IT.

Call Bud, If your car is being shipped directly to you, should be no problem making sure it DOES NOT get done at SAI, if the car is going to the dealer, CALL THE DEALER to make the necessary arrrangements.

And like I said, I would make sure the salesman or whoever you are speaking with at the dealer has a plan to insure the front bumper wont get drilled if the car arrives on his day off or early one morning and he (or she) is not there to make sure no front plate be added.........

The car is built and I believe is at SAI. So, I assume I've got a holy bumper. Now what?

SAI will NOT I repeat WILL NOT drill your bumper! However you MUST tell the dealer 5 times at least NOT to drill or install the front bracket. When my car came in, and I told the dealer 3-4 times not to drill it, the PDI person actually drilled it. I refused the car and bought another one @ $500 under MSRP at a dealer down the road. So it actually turned out better, but I was still crushed that it was drilled. Be persistant and consistant! B)

Straw,

I gave my dealer a list of dos and don'ts prior to delivery. No front plate, no dealer decals, no drive through car wash and make sure they fill up with premium fuel to name a few. Keep reminding them as the communication between sales and service is not always the best.

Dave

I have yet to see a SGT sitting on the lot in my area with a front plate mount attached and I have looked at a lot. The front plate is also required in my state. All the dealers Ive talked to say they are waiting to install it until the buyer says wether or not he wants it. Be very "persistant and consistant" like said before and make sure everyone at the dealer knows you dont want it from the salesman to the manager to the service guy. If you can, get them to sign something stating you dont want the front mount.

And if they do install it, request a new bumper.

FYI Craigs system does not work with the driving light package. Steve

You can make Craig’s bracket work with the lower grill/driving light mod. I did not want holes drilled in the car so I ordered a bracket before the car arrived. When the car arrived I determined that I had a problem with the bracket since you need the lower opening for access. But, you can compromise. I removed the lower “shield” that attaches to the front bumper’s fascia, which then allows you to access the lower grill area. I removed the bolts from the bracket, slipped it between the lower grill and facia and then rebolted the bracket and replaced the shield. Granted, you cannot easily take the bracket off like it was designed but you do have a front license plate with no holes drilled. It would only take 10-15 minutes to remove it for a show if you wanted to. Drive the car up on a block to give you the room you need to work on the front end. I hate the front license plate on the car but do not want a ticket so will run it that way except on the way to a show.

SAI knows better not to drill holes. I did the museum pickup, never said anything to them what I wanted and they did not put the plate on. The plate bracket was in the trunk. I asked them about it and they said they leave it to the customer. But the dealers are crazy.. :wacko: I would recommend getting it in writing..I hate that they think they should be able to put a dealer advertisement sticker on the car. :angry: Except for a few well known dealers on this site, most dealers have not earned the right to stick an advertisement on a Shelby. Many do not know more than Shelby = $$$$$

My car will come from the Mad shop to me, unless I do a museum p/u. I was concerned that it would be pre drilled at the factory. Unless, of course, SAI changes the bumper?

John, your car won't have the front Lic plate holder (in trunk) installed or holes, No dealer stickers or...............

thanks randy

(your friendly dealer ;) )

Archived