TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Lettering

rcsmith49

Would like to know if anyone has had this experience.....Washing my car the other day and got to the trunk, went over the Shelby lettering and the Y came off in my hand. The darn letters are just glued on. I would have thought they had rivets or pins to hold them in. I super glued it back on and now it's on stronger than the rest of the letters. What happens if one of those letters come off at time that we don't see it happen. Then what do we do? Seems like these should have been mounted in a much stronger way....

Would like to know if anyone has had this experience.....Washing my car the other day and got to the trunk, went over the Shelby lettering and the Y came off in my hand. The darn letters are just glued on. I would have thought they had rivets or pins to hold them in. I super glued it back on and now it's on stronger than the rest of the letters. What happens if one of those letters come off at time that we don't see it happen. Then what do we do? Seems like these should have been mounted in a much stronger way....

This has come up before. Actually SAI uses tape, not glue to attach the letters and you have to be very careful when you wash and dry as you now know. I have not had any of mine come off but I do see them wiggle when I am cleaning the car.

This has come up before. Actually SAI uses tape, not glue to attach the letters and you have to be very careful when you wash and dry as you now know. I have not had any of mine come off but I do see them wiggle when I am cleaning the car.

Been there done that.......

Starts with the wiggle, The tape starts losing its adhesion after that and then its only a matter of time. My "Y" lasted 4 months with the wiggle then one day while cleaning it was falling off.

3M Plastic Trim Adhesive works perfect for the repair, or take the long route and get it warrantied thru ford.

I swear, something is up with the "Y". I think, if you look back, 9 times out of 10, it's the "Y" that falls off.

Anyway, it's actually a "good" thing these are stick on and not pinned. Pinned emblems lead to eventual rust etc., and other issues far worse than a wiggly "Y". I heard the 3M emblem tape is the way to go. My "Y" wiggles and I take great car now never to direct a high pressure wash on them or wipe them with a cloth as threads tend to get caught under them and "pop" they go! I'm having mine fixed when it gets the stripe replaced.

BTW: The letters are available from SPP WITH the mounting pins if you ever decide to go that route.

Archived