TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Baer Brakes

clark17357

I am considering the Shelby Baer Brake upgrade for my SGT that is to be built soon (car shipped from Ford and on its way to Las Vegas). I would like to hear from those of you who have this upgrade in terms of how it has worked on your car. Thanks.

I have the Baer brake package. They work well and I have no problems with them. However, I haven't driven a Shelby GT or any Mustang with stock brakes so I can't help you with the difference. They do look much better then the stock ones. I do wish Shelby & Baer would come out with a rear caliper to match the front caliper.

I have the Baer brake package. They work well and I have no problems with them. However, I haven't driven a Shelby GT or any Mustang with stock brakes so I can't help you with the difference. They do look much better then the stock ones. I do wish Shelby & Baer would come out with a rear caliper to match the front caliper.

Thank you for the reply. I am familar with your car, having been a reader of this forum and others in which you participate. Given that it was you who responded, may I ask if the different rocker panel tape treatment, where it says GT/SC rather than GT, is something that Shelby did or something that you did after the fact? Back to the brakes, your reply also answered the question I did not ask, which is whether the rear calipers say "Shelby" on them. If I read your reply correctly, they do not. In researching the brake upgrade, my sense of things is that the rear calipers are stock and it is the rotors that are upgraded with cross-drilled and slotted versions. Is that the case? I appreciate the information you are willing to share with me and everyone else for whom you have answered questions. Before I saw photos of your car, I had resolved to have my 2008 car built out with the CS6/GT-H hood and supercharger. Seeing the photos of your car confirmed that, as nice as the scooped hood looks, to my eye, the CS6/GT-H version appears a bit cleaner.

I AGREE ON BOTH POINTS. THE BRAKES ARE ALWAYS STRONG. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME THING OTHER THAN THE FORD REAR CALIPER EVEN IF IT FOR LOOKS ONLY.

Do these brakes require wheels which are larger than the 18" Bullits, or a least the GT500 18" wheels?

YES TO THE BULLITS

I HAVE HEARD YES AND NO ON THE GT 500 WHEELS. I BELIEVE THAT BAER HAS A TEMPLATE ON THEIR WEBSITE, AND A GREAT TECH LINE BASED ON PRIOR PROJECTS.

Thank you for the reply. I am familar with your car, having been a reader of this forum and others in which you participate. Given that it was you who responded, may I ask if the different rocker panel tape treatment, where it says GT/SC rather than GT, is something that Shelby did or something that you did after the fact? Back to the brakes, your reply also answered the question I did not ask, which is whether the rear calipers say "Shelby" on them. If I read your reply correctly, they do not. In researching the brake upgrade, my sense of things is that the rear calipers are stock and it is the rotors that are upgraded with cross-drilled and slotted versions. Is that the case? I appreciate the information you are willing to share with me and everyone else for whom you have answered questions. Before I saw photos of your car, I had resolved to have my 2008 car built out with the CS6/GT-H hood and supercharger. Seeing the photos of your car confirmed that, as nice as the scooped hood looks, to my eye, the CS6/GT-H version appears a bit cleaner.

THE SC ON THE ROCKER IS TO DO WITH THE SUPERCHARGER AND IS DONE AT SHELBY BY THE SAME PEOPLE THAT DO ALL THE STRIPES.

THE REAR BRAKES UPGRADE IS ONLY ROTORS AND THEY RELOCATE THE STOCK REAR CALIPER

Clark,

Shelbyguy's answers are all correct and I believe he got all the questions. Amy posted a couple of weeks ago on stangsunleashed that Baer was working on a "cap" for the rear caliper. I would prefer an actual replacement caliper but a cap will do if it is for the package I have.

Do these brakes require wheels which are larger than the 18" Bullits, or a least the GT500 18" wheels?

I just exchanged e-mails with John Walker of SAI on the issue of the wheels. Here is what was said:

Hi John,

I have been doing my homework on the Baer brake upgrade. It is a no brainer so the question is not whether to get the upgrade but the "wheel" question. I have been reading on various forums that the stock Shelby 18" wheels will not fit if the Baer brake upgrade is on the car. Is that true? I actually like the stock wheels. As a 57 year old person, those wheels look close to the type of "mags" we all ran back in the 60s. If I have to buy a new set of wheels I would like to know that sooner rather than later. I would appreciate hearing from you when you have a moment. Thanks.

Jim, In order to run the Shelby/BAER brakes, you will have to get 20" wheels. -John

Shelby Forever

John Walker

I just exchanged e-mails with John Walker of SAI on the issue of the wheels. Here is what was said:

Hi John,

I have been doing my homework on the Baer brake upgrade. It is a no brainer so the question is not whether to get the upgrade but the "wheel" question. I have been reading on various forums that the stock Shelby 18" wheels will not fit if the Baer brake upgrade is on the car. Is that true? I actually like the stock wheels. As a 57 year old person, those wheels look close to the type of "mags" we all ran back in the 60s. If I have to buy a new set of wheels I would like to know that sooner rather than later. I would appreciate hearing from you when you have a moment. Thanks.

Jim, In order to run the Shelby/BAER brakes, you will have to get 20" wheels. -John

Shelby Forever

John Walker

I just made a change to the Baer Brakes , after not being able to slow the car down on the 91 Freeway in So Cal ..............rear ended the car in front of me which caused no damage to him, but had to replace my front facia and grille. I had 6000 miles on the car so I was familiar with the braking , and I can tell you this car should come with the 14" Baer's because they would have saved me 1700$ in repairs , and it took 4 weeks to get the parts. You must have 20 " wheels the Bulitt 18's do not fit , no matter what the Shelby Web says, and I liked the Shelby Razors Gray on my white SGT. But 20" wheels and tires is almost 2 grand , its and expensive brake upgrade. The handling is very flay and crisp with this setup , and lots of stopping stopping power.

ZDS

I have the big brakes. I highly recommend them if you got the extra cash layin around. They look sharp too especially in the front. I used the stock brakes for about 1300 miles. Although I did not have to break harder than normal during the first 1300 miles. I can tell you after I got my big brakes I had to make a panic stop on an off ramp going downhill. That car stopped so fast and strait I was really impressed. The guy behind me in a chevy blazer was sideways trying to stop and other people were swerving into the next lane over. I had my eye in the rearview ready to hit the shoulder if the dude behind me coulnt stop. But all turned out well "Gracias a Dios". Also try to follow the break-in procedure as well as you can to prolong the life of your pads and rotors. I really do not want to ever have to replace a set of the rotors.

Oh and Not all Shelby Gt's came from Shelby with SGT/SC on the rockerpanel. I know of one that didnt anyway.

Be sure to post fotos of your car when you get it. It sounds nice... Happy motoring! ;)

Jim,

check these 20" wheels out. I think they maybe in the style you want and are Shelby licensed. I saw these wheels about 2 weeks after I ordered mine. If I would have seen these I would have bought them and saved myself a bunch of money. Make sure you click on the polished wheel. It shows the Shelby centercap. I don't know why the black one doesn't but you can also purchase the center caps separately.

http://www.americanracing.com/browse_carroll_thrust.asp

Oh and Not all Shelby Gt's came from Shelby with SGT/SC on the rockerpanel. I know of one that didnt anyway.

...whatever. :P

Are you keeping your stripe well protected?

Which wheels are available from SAI? I want the Baer brakes, so I have to buy 20"wheels, the mod upgrade lists only the Razors. Is that all SAI offers, or will they install other Shelby wheels as well? And if so, which wheels do you like? I'd like them as wide as is reasonable, and wider in the rear.

Check out shelbyperformanceparts.com, They have most of the American Racing Wheels and Carrol Shelby Signature wheels. I am sure they can get any of the Shelby licensed wheels that American Racing has (Razor,GT40,Redline,Torq,Cobra). You may even be able to get the Alloca wheel intended for the supersnake if you have time to wait.

As for wheel size. I have a 10.5" on the back and I think that is about as wide as you can go. I would have prefered 10" for the rear. I have 9" wide wheels on the front but I have heard of 9.5" wide on the front.

Check out shelbyperformanceparts.com, They have most of the American Racing Wheels and Carrol Shelby Signature wheels. I am sure they can get any of the Shelby licensed wheels that American Racing has (Razor,GT40,Redline,Torq,Cobra). You may even be able to get the Alloca wheel intended for the supersnake if you have time to wait.

As for wheel size. I have a 10.5" on the back and I think that is about as wide as you can go. I would have prefered 10" for the rear. I have 9" wide wheels on the front but I have heard of 9.5" wide on the front.

Not to get off on a tangent, but what effect upon steering have you experienced with wider wheels (and wider tires I assume) on the back? I ask because of my experience back in 1966 when I got my 1966 Mustang Fastback GT. I had to buy Goodyear racing tires to get 7" of rubber on the ground (I appreciate younger people will have a hard time believing that). With those tires (same size all around), the handling was pretty fair with predictable understeer. When I tried wider tires on the back, the understeer was too pronounced. I appreciate that a 2007 Mustang is not a 1966 Mustang (and, no, I do not still have it) and that is why I ask. The concept of wider rear tires is, generally, valid in high powered rear wheel drive cars, but I prefer getting my data from real people like you who are driving these machines on today's streets. Thanks. Jim

...whatever. :P

Are you keeping your stripe well protected?

Ha ha Yep its in a speacial hermetically sealed vault I built just for the sticker. I borrowed the technology from the museum where they store the decleration of independence...

Hows your car runnin anyway? I am really enjoying mine. Talk to you later B)

I visited my one of my local Ford Dealers this afternoon to pick up a couple FRPP oil filters. While there I went to their mod shop to look at rims and ask about brake systems.

Wouldn't you know it that I picked up a Baer Brake brochure, Baer is located here in Phoenix, and found the extreme brake package that they sell to Shelby and it says you need at least a 18" wheel or bigger. So if you guys are wondering where the Shelby info comes from..... there you go.

I have their lead shop guy contacting Baer, American Racing and Shelby wheels next week to get to the bottom of the "What the Hell Wheel Size" do I need. I also found out why the GT 500 can use the 18" wheel with 6 piston Brembo's.

So my friends I think it really boils down to which wheel you want. If you want razors and big brakes you need 20", the upshot is you don't have to use 20" rims as there are alternative wheels out there that will work.

I will most certainly share with everyone what the Mod Shop comes up with and I will be going to the Baer Factory next week.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and that it is dry enough to drive your cars'.

I visited my one of my local Ford Dealers this afternoon to pick up a couple FRPP oil filters. While there I went to their mod shop to look at rims and ask about brake systems.

Wouldn't you know it that I picked up a Baer Brake brochure, Baer is located here in Phoenix, and found the extreme brake package that they sell to Shelby and it says you need at least a 18" wheel or bigger. So if you guys are wondering where the Shelby info comes from..... there you go.

I have their lead shop guy contacting Baer, American Racing and Shelby wheels next week to get to the bottom of the "What the Hell Wheel Size" do I need. I also found out why the GT 500 can use the 18" wheel with 6 piston Brembo's.

So my friends I think it really boils down to which wheel you want. If you want razors and big brakes you need 20", the upshot is you don't have to use 20" rims as there are alternative wheels out there that will work.

I will most certainly share with everyone what the Mod Shop comes up with and I will be going to the Baer Factory next week.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and that it is dry enough to drive your cars'.

THE EASIEST THING FOR SHELBY AND BAER TO DO IS TO SPECIFY WHAT IF ANY 18" WHEELS FIT OVER THE 14" ROTOR AND CALIPER !..........................zds

Ha ha Yep its in a speacial hermetically sealed vault I built just for the sticker. I borrowed the technology from the museum where they store the decleration of independence...

Hows your car runnin anyway? I am really enjoying mine. Talk to you later B)

LOL, it is good. I have the bugs pretty much out of it.

Clark,

With my 285/30 tires it feels like the rear end es pretty glued to the ground. It takes a fair amount of effort to brake the wheels free in a straight line. Driving in the twisties the rear of my car tracks very well. The only understerr problem I had occurred because of lack of skill. However, I also have a watts link and upgrades control arms.

LOL, it is good. I have the bugs pretty much out of it.

With my 285/30 tires it feels like the rear end es pretty glued to the ground. It takes a fair amount of effort to brake the wheels free in a straight line. Driving in the twisties the rear of my car tracks very well. The only understerr problem I had occurred because of lack of skill. However, I also have a watts link and upgrades control arms.

You need to be more kind to yourself. Understeer is not caused by a lack of skill. It is caused by the design of a given car, which includes the tire size, wheel size and suspension (there are other factors). Granted, you notice understeer more in extreme cornering situations but the reason for it is inherent to how the car is set up. That is why I asked about how the wider rear wheels and tires affected understeer with your car. I worded it that way because understeer happens when the front tires have a loss of traction during cornering while the rear tires do not. By putting even more rubber on the ground with wider rear tires, you can see that, theoretically, the difference between the traction capabilities of the front and rear tires would widen. But, particularly with other modifications you have made to your car, there are other things that might compensate for what would, otherwise, move you towards more understeer. If, bottom line, the understeer of your car is no worse after the change in wheel/tire sizes, that would be something I would like to know. Back to the skill issue, I suspect we all learn the hard way how much understeer our car has. But, after that, we just back off a bit and not provoke it in the first place. It is a lousy feeling when, instead of turning, the front end just plows ahead and refuses to give us the amount of turn we had cranked into the steering wheel. As always, thanks for sharing. Jim

Archived