TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is the Shelby GT too much money for what you get?

SWEDESHELBY1

I THINK MOST CANT HELP BUT COMPARE THE THE SHELBY GT TO THE GT PLUS PERFORMANCE PARTS IF THIS IS HOW YOU CHOOSE TO LOOK AT THE PRICE YOU WILL FEEL THAT THEY ARE ABOUNT 3K TO 4K TO MUCH.

I FEEL THAT FIRST OF ALL THE MUSTANG GT IS A GREAT VALUE AND UNDER PRICED BY ITSELF WITH FORD INCENTIVES TO INCREASE SELLS HOWEVER A LIMITED EDITION SUCH AS THE SHELBY GT DOES NOT FALL INLINE WITH FORDS NEED FOR VOLUME.

AND HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT FORDS PRICE ON THE GT-500?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the sticker price on mine was at $44k but i got them down to $38.9k...and then i put down $5k and got $1200 on a trade in...so the loan payoff will at least be under what the sticker price was. but overall i'll end up with $46k in the car after all the hidden fees and 8% on the loan.

cant imagine what i'll end up payin for a GT500 on a loan when its all said and done

this car doesnt have all the Interior upgrades and why they had it priced at $44k who knows. but i know it sat on the lot for 4 months.

when i decided to go look elswhere for an SGT, a SECOND SALES REP aproached me and was willing to help the 1st sales rep to make a good offer(they split the commission on it i believe). i think it had to do with me living here in town because the 2nd sales rep (who was more knowledgable about the SGT) wanted to keep the car local so people here would see this car drivin around town and then they might wanna go check out the local dealership on mustangs and these SGTs...i guess u might say its like using me to kinda help them advertise and generate more sales for them. i know they still made good profit on the car

this is first time i was able to get the "innitial" price of a vehicle below the sticker and it was a SHELBY :) i'm happy

edit: my alternative was buying an 07 Jeep Wrangler...i may still get one but not the new 07s... probably just get a decent used one for cheap as a 2nd vehicle...i may sell my bike before i do that though

Actually, for me the price didnt really matter...and even that it was a Shelby....so to speak...the car just looked great and I wanted it because I wasn't thrilled with the way my gt handled so yeah after taxes...... 7% sales tax and that 1,000 gas guzzler tax and everything, the price came to 46,000.....

so..I'd have ta say..No...I don't think it was too much money

keep in mind though that this car was on the lot and even though it was an automatic...it was love at first sight....and when I'm driving down the highway n the stereo blasting and the sun is shining...I'm a happy man...can you put a pricetag on that... :lol:

but I'm not the type of guy who is ever satisfied...so I have my eyes on a Cobra.......

:lol:

I THINK MOST CANT HELP BUT COMPARE THE THE SHELBY GT TO THE GT PLUS PERFORMANCE PARTS IF THIS IS HOW YOU CHOOSE TO LOOK AT THE PRICE YOU WILL FEEL THAT THEY ARE ABOUNT 3K TO 4K TO MUCH.

I FEEL THAT FIRST OF ALL THE MUSTANG GT IS A GREAT VALUE AND UNDER PRICED BY ITSELF WITH FORD INCENTIVES TO INCREASE SELLS HOWEVER A LIMITED EDITION SUCH AS THE SHELBY GT DOES NOT FALL INLINE WITH FORDS NEED FOR VOLUME.

The GT500 MSRP is very fair, the ADM is pure greed and strictly a business decision for the dealer. I personally believe that Ford could have made more GT500's and made more profit for Ford and gave the Mustang enthusiast the Shelby GT500 at a reasonable price but they gave in and made a limited number of cars thus the ADM and all hell broke loose. Ford just made the $coin$ between the MSRP and invoice/tissue on the car. It is happening again this year with the 40th as well. Oh well it is only money and there is always a smile when I drive my Shelby GT, it would just have been a lot more fun with 500HP! B)

That would depend on what you paid now, wouldnt it? Personally I can not say yes to that question. I believe its a personal question. The only other car in Shelbys league will be the new Dodge Challenger as far as i am concerned... and who knows how much those will cost..

just my 10 cents. :D

I think we also need to keep things in perspective by comparing the SGT to other performance cars. For example, my original goal was to get the '08 BMW M3. I was willing to pay the $65K for it. I also considered a Corvette which would have priced in around $50K. I wasn't about to pay the insane markups on the GT500, plus I prefer the look of the SGT. What I ended up with was a very special, beautiful, collectible and enjoyable car at less than 38K, and it still has more power than I need. In that context, its a great bargain! Even if I add a whipple to gain 200 more HP its still good.

When I said that the SGT is overpriced, I'm speaking of it more from a product placement perspective (rather than an emotional one). IMO it's too close to the GT 500 MSRP (yes I know that getting a GT 500 at MSRP is extremely difficult)

When compared to both the GT/CS and the GT 500, the SGT is much closer to the GT/CS in looks and straight line performance.

Based on this observation, I believe the SGT should have been priced closer to a comparably equipped GT/CS than to the GT 500. That's why I say it's overpriced for what you get.

From a SAI prospective, I guess the price was right as they apparently sold (to dealers) every 07 they made.

I've been thinking on this one for a while. I do not feel the car is overpriced and am VERY happy with my purchase. But just for kicks, I did a little research, this is what I found:

Roush Stage 2, Core Components $11,635 (I assume uninstalled??) Stock 300HP motor

Stage 2 Overview

Steeda Q335, $12,995 (again, I assume uninstalled) 340HP

Steeda Q Series

Saleen S281, $43,999 + freight $1,550 = $45,549, 335HP

Saleen S281

Neither Roush or Steeda say if the kit price is installed or not, and I am guessing that Saleen starts with a pretty basic GT with all the interior upgrades they do. I am not familiar enough with any of them to know, so if someone is, please feel free to chime in.

Hope I don't offend anyone here by mentioning Brands X, Y, and Z :o but found it kind of interesting that for simiular HP and suspension upgrades that the SGT was actually the least expensive of the bunch. (Plus ours look better than any of them ;) )

I've been thinking on this one for a while. I do not feel the car is overpriced and am VERY happy with my purchase. But just for kicks, I did a little research, this is what I found:

Roush Stage 2, Core Components $11,635 (I assume uninstalled??) Stock 300HP motor

Stage 2 Overview

Steeda Q335, $12,995 (again, I assume uninstalled) 340HP

Steeda Q Series

Saleen S281, $43,999 + freight $1,550 = $45,549, 335HP

Saleen S281

Neither Roush or Steeda say if the kit price is installed or not, and I am guessing that Saleen starts with a pretty basic GT with all the interior upgrades they do. I am not familiar enough with any of them to know, so if someone is, please feel free to chime in.

Hope I don't offend anyone here by mentioning Brands X, Y, and Z :o but found it kind of interesting that for simiular HP and suspension upgrades that the SGT was actually the least expensive of the bunch. (Plus ours look better than any of them ;) )

Interesting info!

I think my Shelby is worth every penny i paid, Yes, looks Bad Axx, and it brings a smile to my face evryday i drive it! :D

There is no science to any of this. The value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it. Obviously, all of us thought it was worth it on the day of the sale. I don't understand why some now question their purchase price, but that's their personal business and opinion, and certainly doesn't mean that others feel the same way.

As far as comparing the SGT to aftermarket cars, I've gone through that same exercise on TMS.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...05&postcount=41

As far as which aftermarket mustang is more popular: I've posted this pole on here before but here it is again http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.p...highlight=foose SGT won hands down.

This same topic came up on TMS last month. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=69916

yeah....WELL MY DEALER.....included naked pictures of his mom and promises to bake me cupcakes on my birthday every year until the Cubs win the World Series (sorry Matt).....so there! :P

.......once I heard that.....I was in!

lmfao :lol: :D :lol: :D

yeah....WELL MY DEALER.....included naked pictures of his mom and promises to bake me cupcakes on my birthday every year until the Cubs win the World Series (sorry Matt).....so there! :P

.......once I heard that.....I was in!

That's freaking hilarous! :lol:

I wish I had known of this site back in May before buying. All I got was a car and a salesmans attitude and because of the attitude I almost didn't get the car!

That's freaking hilarous! :lol:

I wish I had known of this site back in May before buying. All I got was a car and a salesmans attitude and because of the attitude I almost didn't get the car!

I wish I'd known about it prior to purchse also-I found it while surfing the internet one night after I had already settled on a price. I paid a small ADM but WAAAAAAAAAY less than what the norm for this area was at the time and got a GT500 spoiler and car cover thrown in(as well as a handshake agreement with my dealer who is a real standup guy-he treats me as MM has treated a lot of you-that I'll get a GREAT deal on my wife's new Lincoln MKX this fall/next spring)-so I felt like I got a decent deal. AND my dealer sent me a birthday card! :P

AND BTW Wicked-the beloved Cubbies magic number is 4 (got your back Matt)!! :D GO CUBS!

The price on the GT-500 with a $7000 mark up makes it over priced. That's my 2cents and why i didn't buy one

As far as comparing the SGT to aftermarket cars, I've gone through that same exercise on TMS.

As far as which aftermarket mustang is more popular: I've posted this pole on here before but here it is again http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.p...highlight=foose SGT won hands down.

This same topic came up on TMS last month. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=69916

Im just guessing here, but I think most of the haters of the shelby cant afford to buy any of the chices listed. I would like to know how many of them own one of the cars listed. probably few. B)

Im just guessing here, but I think most of the haters of the shelby cant afford to buy any of the chices listed. I would like to know how many of them own one of the cars listed. probably few. B)

If I don't sell my house soon, I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford to buy any of the cars listed either :angry:

If I don't sell my house soon, I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford to buy any of the cars listed either :angry:

AFBlue - Are you serious? Let me get this straight, if you don't sell your home your NOT going to buy the 2008 Shelby GT Vista Blue with Silver stripes? I just wanted to tease you a bit and remind you of the fact that this car is awesome and looks beautiful to boot. I hope your able to get the 08 SGT. Keep us in the loop. B)

I had a mustang fund. Been saving up for 3 years. It has now almost been depleted thanks to the crappy housing market. Got a house for sale in Nebraska. Had it for sale since 1 April and tenants left in Jun. Painted outside of house, painted inside of house, fixed broken airconditioner, lawn care, utilities, cleaned carpets, and paying a mortgage on an empty house.

I thought for sure that I would have sold it by now. I'm still committed to getting the Shelby but it's beginning to put me in a finacial bind as I keep paying over $2K/month on that house.

I'm just venting because I hate pissing all this money away on that stupid house. I've dropped the price $20K, it's below market value and it's just not selling. Can't drop price any more because i will owe money on it at closing.

Enough of my problems. It's just pissing me off. It will all work out.

Mark,

This really stinks. :( Let us know if we can help in anyway.

Any one know a agressive real estate agent in Nebraska? Let's at least help you get that house sold! Anyone with ideas?

Keep the faith Mark.........Keep the faith...........

Just found the other thread. Remind me to be really careful what I say on line around really thoughtful and concerned people like all of you on Shelbyautos forum.

It's ok. I'm not got going to starve. I just would prefer not to have to go into debt (i.e. car loan) to get this car. That wasn't the original plan.

This is a very minor issue and I now feel embarrassed that I brought it up. Thanks to you all for your concerns. It's very touching.

I had a mustang fund. Been saving up for 3 years. It has now almost been depleted thanks to the crappy housing market. Got a house for sale in Nebraska. Had it for sale since 1 April and tenants left in Jun. Painted outside of house, painted inside of house, fixed broken airconditioner, lawn care, utilities, cleaned carpets, and paying a mortgage on an empty house.

I thought for sure that I would have sold it by now. I'm still committed to getting the Shelby but it's beginning to put me in a finacial bind as I keep paying over $2K/month on that house.

I'm just venting because I hate pissing all this money away on that stupid house. I've dropped the price $20K, it's below market value and it's just not selling. Can't drop price any more because i will owe money on it at closing.

Maybe you should pay to have the house moved out of Nebraska, then it would sell!!! :P seriously though, been in that boat before-it sucks, hope it works out soon.

Actually, maybe you should move it into the parking lot at SAI, we'll all chip in and that can be the SGT party house!!

BTW-Cubs magic number is STILL 4 :angry:

does the house have a garage? if it were in my hometown and had a garage i'd sell my harley for down payment and buy it.

does the house have a garage? if it were in my hometown and had a garage i'd sell my harley for down payment and buy it.

It's got a 3 car garage :D Wish I had one in the house I live in now. 2200 sq feet, hard wood floors...Better yet here's the listing. http://homes.realtor.com/search/listingdet...srcnt=13#Detail

They squished the horiztonal aspect in the picture (i.e. it's wider than the distorted picture)

Right now it's listed not much above tax value (Think tax value is like $208K).

If anyone knows someone in the market for a nice house near Omaha and Offutt AFB (8 miles) pass it on.

Archived