TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is the Shelby GT too much money for what you get?

SWEDESHELBY1

OK, here I am wondering if my beautiful Shelby GT is worth the $42K+ I paid for it? I am wondering this as I look at a few used ones that "don't" have the factory SC and they are in the mid, $35K and up to $37K. In fact there is one right now with 400 miles on it and it is loaded incl. DVD Nav for $38K, it had an MSRP of $40K+! I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts about the price of their car and if they think they really got the car they thought they were going to get when they first ordered it. I will admit the real rare ones are the factory SC cars and they should hold their MSRP in the future, maybe more.

Lets hear what you thought you were getting and what you actually got...was it worth the $40K+?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, here I am wondering if my beautiful Shelby GT is worth the $42K+ I paid for it? I am wondering this as I look at a few used ones that "don't" have the factory SC and they are in the mid, $35K and up to $37K. In fact there is one right now with 400 miles on it and it is loaded incl. DVD Nav for $38K, it had an MSRP of $40K+! I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts about the price of their car and if they think they really got the car they thought they were going to get when they first ordered it. I will admit the real rare ones are the factory SC cars and they should hold their MSRP in the future, maybe more.

Lets hear what you thought you were getting and what you actually got...was it worth the $40K+?

Be happy with what you have. You always find something cheaper after you buy it anyway. I overpaid a little but when I put the pedal down, it really doesn't matter.

End of year, their trying to move'em off the lot.

There are still 2 local and the dealership has actually gone up on the price. There is a tag on the window that says Shelby package, $9999. They have a white one for nearly $43k but what this place will do is hold it forever until the market starts going up again. I've seen them do it a lot of times.

They got a 1/4 million for a Ford GT.

I am going to answer my own question:

I think the Shelby GT is an awesome car BUT with the horse power @ 30 (actual) over what a Mustang GT is, it is over priced. They need MORE special Shelby stuff to make it an unbelieveable car, like they used to be. Here is what they need as a stock car:

1) Factory roll bar-

2) Racing harness seat belts-

3) Choice of rear ends - 373's 390's or 410's-

4) Choice of colors and stripe colors-

5) Stock factory gauge pod

6) Stock Shelby design elements

7) Titled by Ford as a Shelby GT (not GT Mustang!)

8) Engine modifications warranteed by Ford

9) Minimum of 400 HP naturally aspirated

10) Stock 19"wheels & tires with 20's as an option

11) MSRP- $47,500-$50,000

12) NO DEALER ADM'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):):)

The Shelby is the first car I have ever paid MSRP for. The sticker on the car was $38.8K, which does not include the modifications I had made at SAI. Earlier, I wanted a GT500 but was not willing to pay the $10-$20K over sticker for the car – it just priced the car out of my range for a vehicle that I would drive Sunday afternoons or take on a spin nice summer evenings or perhaps a special trip or two. The SGT fit the bill for what I was looking for – a beautiful and unique car, a Shelby pedigree, a Ford, at a manageable price. I think it was probably overpriced but not outrageously so. I have a Ford Galaxie that I put way too much money in restoring but I never plan on selling that car either. My grandkids will probably make a few dollars on both of them.

I still fail to understand why the car has a $1000 gas guzzler surcharge when it only is rated a few MPG below the standard Mustang GT and I had to pay new car sales tax on that surcharge too, which really ticked me off. But, that is an EPA and state tax issue that has nothing to do with Shelby or Ford.

Yes our cars will depreciate for a good while then they will go back up again, don't sweat it drive it! In fact I will go on to say that money is what made the car hobby silly recently. But it has got the average joe clamoring for cooler factory cars like the SGT, so I guess its all ok.

What you do have is a unique super cool car that you don't see many of, and you could still add all your listed items to your car. To me my SGT was worth every penny. I drive it almost every day and love it!

I think the Shelby GT is an awesome car BUT with the horse power @ 30 (actual) over what a Mustang GT is, it is over priced. They need MORE special Shelby stuff to make it an unbelieveable car, like they used to be. Here is what they need as a stock car:

1) Factory roll bar-

If you call this car a Shelby , and do all this stuff instead of me paying 750 a year for insurance I'd be paying as I would for a ZO6 Vett ......................this car the way it is , is perfection for the average guy that buys it ................50+ , dives it on the week-ends to Open Track Day ..............and a Evening Cruise Night once in a while . If you want to pump it up ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,your not gonna invite your insurance agent to go with you for bracket racing at the local drag strip ?

Na I like it the way it is ..................I will and have put some of your list in mine already................ZDS

1) Factory roll bar-

This is all fine, but if it had cost $47 to $50K I wouldn't have bought one.

This is all fine, but if it had cost $47 to $50K I wouldn't have bought one.

I agree 100% and the insurance would cost you 20% to 40% per year more for a GT 500 and that's with a perfect driving record. $37000 is a fair price with 0% financing for 36 mos. Depending on how much you financed that puts the car in at $34000 to $35000 , even better if you use Fords money and invest it.

The car is overpriced in that the modifications could have been done for less money on the Ford assembly line. Before you say Ford couldn't, remember that Dodge did do that with their ACR program.

In the end, nearly 6000 Shelby GTs have been sold. Those buyers must have felt the price was alright.

robin

I considered buying a standard GT and then spending 5 to 10 thousand customizing it. But in the end you still have just a Mustang GT that will depreciate forever. Having a car with SHELBY on it is worth the extra dollars. The 0% financing moved me off the fence and in 36 months will have it paid off (along with the last two kids out of college) and will be driving it to Las Vegas for the SC. We have the best of both worlds, a Shelby that we can customize if we so desire.

I considered buying a standard GT and then spending 5 to 10 thousand customizing it. But in the end you still have just a Mustang GT that will depreciate forever. Having a car with SHELBY on it is worth the extra dollars. The 0% financing moved me off the fence and in 36 months will have it paid off (along with the last two kids out of college) and will be driving it to Las Vegas for the SC. We have the best of both worlds, a Shelby that we can customize if we so desire.

+1

AFBlue did a simple cost analysis but basically we are paying a $4K premium to have SAI do the work. More than worth it. I will also add that I have owned, Lexus, Jaguar, Mercedes, etc., and no car I have ever owned has gotten the attention this car does. In fact I went out Saturday night for dinner and then to a club and BOTH times the valet parked the Shelby in front on the curb. THIS NEVER HAPPENED with the other cars. In fact the valet guy said to me, as he was giving me my ticket, "We'll part this up front sir". So there was my car and a Lamborgini (sp?) right up in front.

Do I think I paid too much? Nawww...

I do with Ford had service that matched the car but oh well..

+1

AFBlue did a simple cost analysis but basically we are paying a $4K premium to have SAI do the work. More than worth it. I will also add that I have owned, Lexus, Jaguar, Mercedes, etc., and no car I have ever owned has gotten the attention this car does. In fact I went out Saturday night for dinner and then to a club and BOTH times the valet parked the Shelby in front on the curb. THIS NEVER HAPPENED with the other cars. In fact the valet guy said to me, as he was giving me my ticket, "We'll part this up front sir". So there was my car and a Lamborgini (sp?) right up in front.

This car has all the "basic" mods I would have wanted in a GT Mustang but with the Shelby name. The looks are awesome and is the best looking car I've seen produced in a long time. The second best looking car I've seen is a black 2007 California Special Mustang (which has alot of the looks of the Shelby GT). Shelby did everything right about the looks of the car. Other than some Shelby razors (to allow larger brakes), I don't see what else should have been different.

I plan to add minor mods for the next three years (while under warranty) and then do more. This is gonna be fun!

+1

I've noticed similar things. Everywhere you go it turns heads. At car shows people walk the corridors, but almost everyone, when they get to the Shelby GT, stop, walk around, step back, then forward for a closer look, the around to the back, stop, step back, around to the otherside, on and on....

I've noticed similar things. Everywhere you go it turns heads. At car shows people walk the corridors, but almost everyone, when they get to the Shelby GT, stop, walk around, step back, then forward for a closer look, the around to the back, stop, step back, around to the otherside, on and on....

Ask yourself this question , how many do you see on the highway?I have never seen one , not even a GT500 which most people confuse with the SGT.

Amen-in addition, my dream car's always been a Shelby and now I have one. I guess you can't really put a price on a dream, so I'm fully comfortable with what I paid for mine. I could have went either way GT500 or SGT, I liked the look and process of the SGT better-IMO, I liked the fact that it was actually sent to SAI for conversion like the originals.

I would have liked a little more HP, a little more standard equip in the pkg (dash gauge pod, faux gas cap emblem, special edition Shelby wheels/centers instead of bullits, shelby embroidery on the seats) and a choice of colors matching the mustang color pallette to give a little more individuality among the cars but I'm still happy with what I have.

:o You were ok with them parting your car?

These places are NICE and they park cars a lot more $$$$ than mine! I wanted to have them close in the Valet Lot rather than me park it in the "North 40" if you get my meaning. But remember in BOTH cases the valet drove it about 15 feet and all night it stood by the door.

I think he has you here Matt. A volo fan here also.Steve

Steve, don't even talk to me! I can't get you out here for anything! There is a car show at the Museum next weekend!

Well thank you for your replies, the post was well worth it. Yes I love my Shelby GT but I personally would have paid the $47K for the car with all the mods I had listed, who knows I might have been able to chisle a little off the MSRP too! :P Anyway all is good in Shelby land and I really want to send my car back to SAI for the SC but who knows if I really will do it??? I just might enjoy this SGT until the NEW body comes out in 2009 and then have SAI make my NEW 2009 Sheby GT with all the mods built right in, now that might just be the ticket, we'll just wait and see..... B)

Swede- About the 09 redesign as an avid magazine reader-20 a month I am under the impression that the 09 cars will be less "retro". I will go out on a limb here and bet that ours will still look better haha!-RM

Yeah, there are some people at Ford, especially in the SVT group, that are VERY unhappy with the 09 style. I think they are changing much too fast, only 4 years of this style, when they kept the last two LAME bodies 10+ years. But sales are down this year and they're looking for a boost. I think they could have accomplished the same thing with some nice body trim changes and some engine work, but that's why I don't run a company loosing money I guess!

Swede- About the 09 redesign as an avid magazine reader-20 a month I am under the impression that the 09 cars will be less "retro". I will go out on a limb here and bet that ours will still look better haha!-RM

You do have a good point, but we'll wait and see. That being said and knowing Ford I just might keep the 07 Shelby I have now, at least I love the car. The 2007 Shelby GT is the best looking Mustang they have had in many years, that's why I bought it. I just want more Shelby options next time. :)

Yeah, there are some people at Ford, especially in the SVT group, that are VERY unhappy with the 09 style. I think they are changing much too fast, only 4 years of this style, when they kept the last two LAME bodies 10+ years. But sales are down this year and they're looking for a boost. I think they could have accomplished the same thing with some nice body trim changes and some engine work, but that's why I don't run a company loosing money I guess!

I had read somewhere and now I can't remember where that the '09 will look more like the Mach III concept from several years ago--I'll stick with what I have. I think he current body style is the best looking one since the sixties (fox body IMO better than last two event though the aerodynamic equivalent of a brick)

Would I have enjoyed paying less for the car? Yes

Being the tightwad that I am, parting with this kind of money was very difficult.

I can tell you one thing though, every time I take her from under the cover, pull her out of the garage and into the sunshine, and turn the key which brings her to life, I forget all about the 39K I spent. Any time I need to put a smile on my face, I take a walk to the garage and take a peek at my baby. I've owned #273 since march, and I haven't thought twice about my purchase. I can honestly say, I'm happier now than when I first brought the car home. I can't imagine any other owner feeling any different.

But that's just me. :rolleyes:

Even if the '09's do look better, most of us will refuse to believe our thoughts and say that ours look better...just because that's what we have. :lol:

I was leaving a golf outing yesterday, and I heard a guy yell out as I passed..."COOL CAR"!!! And a group of others was staring and pointing. This is typical of the kind of excitement this car generates. That excitement has some big dollar value in my opinion. People should not only be looking at MSRP and the list of options.

Archived